2022 Recruits

How many 3p shots have you seen blocked this year? I recall maybe 3.

Her release is quick from the chin area. I don't think she'll have terrible getting shots off. I'd like to see her skills on defense.

This is one for @Coach Jumper to take a good look at cause he is really into fundamentals. If I'm seeing it right I don't like the hand position on the ball. The ball is laying flat in the straight fingers and into the palm of the hand. The fingers should be comfortably spread and the ball in the first joint. Never in the palm. I say this knowing that she is already accurate and if I'm right, there is room for improvement when KJH gets some time with her. If that is really the way she shoots and if she will change she could be devastating on O.
@GameTime

....I don't know about her palming it, but her form is way off from what is optimal in other ways which are obvious. This is not some big secret, or something esoteric. She has a push shot from her chest which will make her much easier to guard at the college level. She releases the ball low, and well in front of her. Her height will help there, but defenses will exploit that shot and it will take a lot of room to get off. Sometimes when girls are learning to play they aren't strong enough to use the best form, and then if they later become strong enough their habits are set in a less than optimal style. That is a downside to taking the sport up early....

Very well put @Voluble2

The mechanics of a shot have to start-continue and finish from the correct point, If at any time the correct form is altered, everything from that point is altered. Justine, indeed does shoot from below the shoulder and yes, in certain situations it will be easily defended by smaller players. SO very few females get to learn how to do a Larry Bird shot because their MS, HS, AAU, exposure coaches want to ride the wave and not interrupt it, or don't know how. Since Justine starts her shot below her shoulder, it is going to be a "push shot".

Try this, GT, Orange...find a BB and hold it in your fingers in a traditional 10 oclock-2 oclock put it above your right temple and rotate it to a shot position,,,(you will see that there is a gap between the ball and the bottom of your wrist) (like Larry is shown doing)... Try flattening your wrist so the ball sits flatly on it in the shot position Larry is holding,,,,,,.Now try to hold the "gap" as you bring the ball down to the shoulder pocket,,,it is next to impossible and very uncomfortable, yet flattening that gap makes the ball sit in the hands below the shoulder much more comfortably....
Young girls are taught to get power from the "path of the arm" instead of the "push of the release" and the lift-off from the legs

We all love to watch Rennia shoot that long three,,,but breakdown her mechanics on those out of comfort zone shots and you see a "shoulder/belly-shot". BUT, take note, usually when she shoots that shot it is with ample distance from her defender, so she can get away with bad mechanics for that shot. A three is rarely truly shot contested in the women's game,,,it is usually shot off of screens and wide open looks. Only the rarest of female shooters will shoot it guarded. (Rae can).

I teach that there are four shot environments,,,Distance, set, rhythm and touch,,,Each one has different mechanics.

Distance - is any shot that is beyond your comfort range. A shot where you have to change the mechanics, just to get the ball to the rim. Justine will have no problems here.

set - is an unguarded shot (like a foul shot or wide open look) again watch Rennia's foul shot, it is not a thing of beauty form-wise, but it is too consistent to mess with at this stage.

rhythm - is a shot off of a dribble pick up or received pass. A shot you can step into, in rhythm. Again, Rennia,,, she elevates her shot to the temple on the next two shots,,,she is well trained in shot environment.

touch shot is any shot where you are moving, closely guarded, fading, tear-drop (yes, I went there ;o), put-backs, jump-hooks, etc.

All have unique mechanics!

It is next to impossible to do a belly or shoulder shot when touch-shooting or when shooting a closely guarded set-shot...thus the Larry Bird release. Larry was a big slow white guy who elevated maybe a few inches on his shot, thus he had to shoot in such a way as to challenge a quicker defender's speed and reach, thus the high-temple beginning. It made the defender reach out over his head and usually ended up as a defensive foul.

If I was to work with Justine, I would not change her 3 pt shot,,,but I would definitely get her into more of a Larry-type mechanic for mid-range and moving shots.

Last edited:
Reactions: LadyVols_WBK
That's rich....Perhaps you need to go to the Sistine Chapel and tell them you don't like how Michelangelo held his paint brush when he did the ceiling, it could have been better....

The girl is making 25-30 footers regularly, and you want to say she is wrong because of some picture.....She has her father, her high school coach, and her personal basketball coach since the second grade, as her personal shooting and playing mentors....

She will be here after next season draining 3's from everywhere. ...Perhaps you can buy a ticket and tell her how wrong she is then...

You're right. she's perfect. It's just a casual observation where I say "If I'm seeing it right" because it's just one picture. I said she already shoots good and that she will probably get much better. Just for the record when UConn All American and WNBA ROY Napheesa Collier got to the pros they completely reworked her 3 point shot. And you are foolish enough to think some high school player ranked 33rd in her class and 7th in her position is a perfect shooter. Or is it that you are so parochially hypersensitive that you aren't emotionally strong enough to consider some constructive criticism.

Reactions: lfvol
This is the part where trolls come in and tell us our recruits stink or can't shoot or developed abnormally. Anything to stir up the fan base.
If you are referring to me. You don't need anyone to stir you up. You have an imagination that feeds your own brand of paranoia.

And you have a trash mouth. We don't want trolls like you coming to our forum dissing our recruits.
trash mouth?? Dissing recruits?? I've been one of the more positive fans on this board. Read my post history as some were tearing down KJH, I supported her and tried to explain how the recruiting process worked and that it would take 3 to 5 years to get it all back. It was me who said every one of KJH's recruits is what she needs to change the culture.

I understand that you are 'Tennessee Only' but try to accuse me of something that I do instead of just shouting Troll.

Reactions: glv98 and mcannon1
Certainly don't speak for you. And to think I just took you off ignore. Shame on me.

Rickster, I'm with you on this one...
No one needs to complain about this girl....
She's had a private basketball coach since the second grade....
She's everything coach Kellie is looking for and some here want to change her to fit what they want....

Rickster how do you use the ignore feature on here?
I'm done with the complaining posters about Justine...

Reactions: Benionsopinion
Click on their name and a pop up will come up allowing you to ignore the poster. Might need to click on their name in the pop up as well. Seems like computer format is different then phone.

Reactions: GameTime
Certainly don't speak for you. And to think I just took you off ignore. Shame on me.
broken-heart-1175724_640.jpg

Reactions: NeedOrange
This is one for @Coach Jumper to take a good look at cause he is really into fundamentals. If I'm seeing it right I don't like the hand position on the ball. The ball is laying flat in the straight fingers and into the palm of the hand. The fingers should be comfortably spread and the ball in the first joint. Never in the palm. I say this knowing that she is already accurate and if I'm right, there is room for improvement when KJH gets some time with her. If that is really the way she shoots and if she will change she could be devastating on O.

I saw Coach Jumper addressed this in great detail. But, your comment about KJH reminds me that she essentially shot a set shot in college. I’m not sure how or if she would push for changes but she never got lift or had a release point like Burrell or others.

Reactions: LadyVols_WBK
I saw Coach Jumper addressed this in great detail. But, your comment about KJH reminds me that she essentially shot a set shot in college. I’m not sure how or if she would push for changes but she never got lift or had a release point like Burrell or others.
IShe'll probably have someone on staff can handle it. It's really not a big thing. Just something to give her a fraction more ball control.

Last edited:
I use to be a type of hustler on the golf courses through out Southern California in the 90's...Lots of weekend money games, and I was an unofficial member of a little circuit of golf gamblers that played a lot of different courses...

Whenever I would run into a good player that I thought might be a problem, I would talk with them about the hitch in their swing I noticed...Just the very word "hitch" had them so confused......Another strategy I often used, was to make a comment, to no one in particular, how slow the greens were, when they were actually very slick and fast....The mark usually would putt to hard and end up with a bogey coming back, which was money in my pocket...

The point being, Justine has her shot, it works for her and that is good enough for me..And it should be for you too, but some of you need to "express yourselves" how you want her to shoot the damn ball.
GT your career choices are infinitely interesting. I suspect in your younger days you were a “bad,bad man”. Good thing your honey got a hold of you before you found big trouble.

Lucy, my most fun occupation was being a collector of owed gambling debts for my employer....These people did not want to pay, or could not pay, due in large part, to them being what the trade refers to as "gambling degenerates.".... Not bad people, just a little mis directed...It was my job to "show them the way. "

There were more than a few guys, and one strong ass woman, that thought if they took me out, the debt would be forgiven by my employer....Nope, he would have just sent another collector.....I'm still here, so they were not successful.... Just the way it was.

Perhaps, the weirdest collection I ever made was on a deputy sheriff that was way past due.....He paid after I spoke with him about his job, but every time he saw me on the road after that, I got a moving violation....He once gave me a ticket for coming out of the Krystal's parking lot in a reckless manner...It was not true, but it was the price I paid for my fun job.

My honey met me when all of that crazy stuff was behind me...When I first met her, she was actually sick at her stomach, vomiting, and I came over to help her...I pulled back her long blond hair from her face, so she could get sick again, and I was smitten....She was so beautiful.

When my darlin was having chemotherapy, she vomited and dry heaved 64 times in a row...She tried to joke with me, the best she could, that this is how we first met; her sick at her stomach.

She died a little each day for 6 years, and then one night she went home....
Any woman who elbows her husband in the ribs as she backs him down in the post is a woman after my own heart. We know you miss her but you will be with her again someday.
We are all glad you lived to tell the stories of collecting gambling debts! That must have some inherent job risks!

Last edited:

VN Store

Back