2021 Fall Practice #14

Why? If he can stay at RT all season then lots of RT's convert to OG's in the NFL. If not then he shows flexibility which is worth $$$$ when he goes pro. He may prefer one position over another but he's not getting "cheated".

No it doesn't. Not even close. It means he wasn't one of the current best 5 they've got. If he's one of the top 8 or 9 with the tempo they want then he will play a lot... and be well set up to start next year. Starting as a RS Jr after being a walk on without major college offers... would be a great story. Not a failure.

"Depth" isn't the starting 5. Depth is the guys behind the starting 5 and we can be fairly sure that includes Davis. You hope to have MULTIPLE guys who are able to start... who aren't in the starting 5. I hope there are 10 or more guys with the ability to start who aren't.

Davis isn't competing with Mays or Wright directly. Mays can and probably would rather play OG. He's competing with Spraggins who has apparently earned the right to be the 5th guy starting. I am seldom a fan of an individual player to the degree I am Spraggins. I've loved that guy since the moment he committed.... but if Davis is better at RT than Spraggins is at RG then Davis needs to play. Apparently he isn't right now.

First of all you missed the point about Mays playing RT. He doesn’t want to play there period according to Kyberson. His skill set is more suited to guard. If a player is not happy at his position then more than likely it will affect his play. Ellerbe if he is any coach at all will know this.

I never said depth is the starting five so your condescending remarks on that are ********.

Finally, As Kyberson said if Davis can make it at RT then along with others Carvin, Cooper, Wright in his opinion that is the best five. Didn’t hear anything about Spraggins being that good at guard at this point and certainly not better than Cade. So don’t buy the BS that Davis and Spraggins are competing directly cause they aren’t. Different positions. I will agree that if Ellerbe is training all of them to be multiple then yes they are competing for a pecking order.

I think they both had their wrongs. I am sure the other LB’s didn’t appreciate the new guy coming in and calling them “Bums”.
Give it a coupla months and there'll be those on VN saying that and worse about Mitchell and his teammates. Always happens.

As for these two, hopefully Martinez can get them to channel that fire and aggression across the line instead of across the hash marks.

I like he jumped on him, I don’t think tearing him down saying he wouldn’t have started on last years team is showing leadership. Telling him to shut the f*** up and get back in line is a better response.
Edit: Leaders set and maintain the precedent, they don’t stoop or lower themselves to the other person they’re supposed to be leading.
I think it's perfectly appropriate.
It's not a matter of it being factual or not, but it breeds intensity and focused competitiveness.

Those two guys needs to be the teeth of the defense.

Mitchell and Banks are very similar in some ways.

Reactions: cHiZzLeVOL
First of all you missed the point about Mays playing RT. He doesn’t want to play there period according to Kyberson. His skill set is more suited to guard. If a player is not happy at his position then more than likely it will affect his play. Ellerbe if he is any coach at all will know this.

I never said depth is the starting five so your condescending remarks on that are ********.

Finally, As Kyberson said if Davis can make it at RT then along with others Carvin, Cooper, Wright in his opinion that is the best five. Didn’t hear anything about Spraggins being that good at guard at this point and certainly not better than Cade. So don’t buy the BS that Davis and Spraggins are competing directly cause they aren’t. Different positions. I will agree that if Ellerbe is training all of them to be multiple then yes they are competing for a pecking order.
Kyberson said on that podcast that Carvin and Spraggins look like the 2 best “O linemen” on the team, not just guards. He also thinks Cooper is a little too small right now.

I wonder what a lineup of

Wright
Cade
Carvin
Spraggins
Davis

Would look like

If he's not happy then he needs to check his heart and get happy. If his personal NFL aspirations are more important to him than helping the team win then maybe Davis should take his spot.

Read what you wrote. How is it condescending to answer the apparent point you are making? That is the DIRECT implication of what you said. You based a proposition that Ellarbee is NOT building depth on Davis not starting. Maybe you misstated your point?

Yes. They're competing for the 5th spot on the OL. The one who according to the coaches makes the best OL determines where Mays plays. At this point, that's Spraggins. If Mays preference means anything to the coaches then Spraggins has earned it even more.

Reactions: orangebloodgmc
The cleat debate... again.
iu

It's personal preference. Some people like black and some people like white. Deal with it.
kept me up last night .....white cleat supremacy is an issue

did you play football?
In college no, but I led an infantry squad in Afghanistan…. You know, actual leading and developing dudes to go and perform their given tasks and duties. I’m not the best nor the expert but figured my opinion would have fractional merit. Apparently you had to play football to know leadership qualities and effectively utilize it. 😎

Kyberson said on that podcast that Carvin and Spraggins look like the 2 best “O linemen” on the team, not just guards. He also thinks Cooper is a little too small right now.

I wonder what a lineup of

Wright
Cade
Carvin
Spraggins
Davis

Would look like
Good point ! You are correct that Kyberson thought Cooper was a little small. I forgot about that. Don’t remember anything about Spraggins but I was not listening closely. That lineup could be the best.

Reactions: T2P_Priceless
In college no, but I led an infantry squad in Afghanistan…. You know, actual leading and developing dudes to go and perform their given tasks and duties. I’m not the best nor the expert but figured my opinion would have fractional merit. Apparently you had to play football to know leadership qualities and effectively utilize it. 😎
Thank you for your service! I don't want to get political and I would hate to make an assumption, but it must make you sick to your stomach to see what is going on over there right now.

In college no, but I led an infantry squad in Afghanistan.
Not the same thing.

Al Wilson told the great Peyton Manning that "he wasn't $hit" in the heat of the moment.
He even directly threatened teammates with a physical ass whopping if they didn't do their job. Would you call that "leadership"? Now who on here has any doubts that he was one of the greatest leaders Tennessee football has ever had?

My point? In the late days of fall camp, people get agitated. Mitchell was agitated at the effort of his teammates. In his agitation he called his teammates bums lol. Banks obviously not the type to back down retorted back with an even more direct insult. They were BOTH direct insults, made in the heat of the moment.

The big thing you "perhaps" should have taken from that - from a leadership standpoint- is that the two of them not to long after that directly "talked". They deescalated their own situation- all the while showing their teammates that neither of them are pushovers. That was setting a standard.

Banks had a pretty good lesson in anger management a few years ago. He should know better, this incident is trivial but reverting back into old ways is a very easy and slippery slope to fall into.

You're making this into something it's not.. nothing wrong with the back and forth, it happens

Not the same thing.

Al Wilson told the great Peyton Manning that "he wasn't $hit" in the heat of the moment.
He even directly threatened teammates with a physical ass whopping if they didn't do their job. Would you call that "leadership"? Now who on here has any doubts that he was one of the greatest leaders Tennessee football has ever had?

My point? In the late days of fall camp, people get agitated. Mitchell was agitated at the effort of his teammates. In his agitation he called his teammates bums lol. Banks obviously not the type to back down retorted back with an even more direct insult. They were BOTH direct insults, made in the heat of the moment.

The big thing you "perhaps" should have taken from that - from a leadership standpoint- is that the two of them not to long after that directly "talked". They deescalated their own situation- all the while showing their teammates that neither of them are pushovers. That was setting a standard.
Im all for dropping tops, shaking hands after. A lot of older vets can tell you about going to the tree line or wall to wall counselings. What you should “perhaps” understand is there are ways of telling someone they’re being a piece of **** or **** bagging without tearing them down personally.

Reactions: Rylee_Vol18
Thank you for your service! I don't want to get political and I would hate to make an assumption, but it must make you sick to your stomach to see what is going on over there right now.
Did you write in all that stuff for him??

Yeah leadership does not manifest the same way on any platform. So my questioning of "playing football" was not directed toward his leadership qualities in life. It was directly asking him if he had been in the football environment.

Have you ever been a leader in a church?? Have you had to turn people away from your church because they were having a negative effect on the congregation? Now tell me the relevance of that and having an argument with your football teammate in late fall camp...

Reactions: Volnatic

Yeah leadership does not manifest the same way on any platform. So my questioning of "playing football" was not directed toward his leadership qualities in life. It was directly asking him if he had been in the football environment.

Have you ever been a leader in a church?? Have you had to turn people away from your church because they were having a negative effect on the congregation? Now tell me the relevance of that and having an argument with your football teammate in late fall camp...
Wut?

Im all for dropping tops, shaking hands after. A lot of older vets can tell you about going to the tree line or wall to wall counselings. What you should “perhaps” understand is there are ways of telling someone they’re being a piece of **** or **** bagging without tearing them down personally.

These kids aren't the most cerebral lot. Not to mention again...heat of the moment.
They both directly talked to each other afterwards. They both cared to do that, and they let their teammates see them do it.

They both tore each other down. It wasn't just Banks.

Think you sent that to the wrong poster little.

If he's not happy then he needs to check his heart and get happy. If his personal NFL aspirations are more important to him than helping the team win then maybe Davis should take his spot.

Read what you wrote. How is it condescending to answer the apparent point you are making? That is the DIRECT implication of what you said. You based a proposition that Ellarbee is NOT building depth on Davis not starting. Maybe you misstated your point?

Yes. They're competing for the 5th spot on the OL. The one who according to the coaches makes the best OL determines where Mays plays. At this point, that's Spraggins. If Mays preference means anything to the coaches then Spraggins has earned it even more.

Why don’t you go tell Mays to get happy if Ellerbe plays him at RT big boy ? Nobody including Kyberson said anything about Cade wanting to play at guard had anything to do with his NFL aspirations. That is just BS you want to interject. Maybe Mays feels he can help the team best at guard. Only natural for player to want to play where he can contribute the most to the team. Has nothing to do with being selfish or NFL aspirations. Another thing that Kyberson said that I didn’t hear that was brought up by another poster was that Cooper is a little small and may get shoved around by SEC NT’s. I went back and heard it for myself. If that is the case and if Spraggins is everything they say and you say then maybe move Carvin to center. Spraggins and Mays at guard, Wright and Davis at tackle gives you the best five. If this OL starting five is now set as your trusted Knoxville media says it is and given the nuisance about Cooper then I wonder if Ellerbe is trying to keep Daddy Mays happy. Hope not !!!

These kids aren't the most cerebral lot. Not to mention again...heat of the moment.
They both directly talked to each other afterwards. They both cared to do that, and they let their teammates see them do it.

They both tore each other down. It wasn't just Banks.
Absolutely correct, I’m just more concerned with Banks because of his past. This really was trivial but I just want the best for the kid and don’t want to see him regress at all if you get what I’m saying. Probably did a bad job of explaining it.

VN Store

Back