2018 Masters Tournament

Reed has virtually zero supporters based on the noise.

I guess that's what happens when you're an extremely arrogant d-bag, cheated during matches in college, went to Georgia but got kicked out and put on a Notre Dame jersey the day of the Georgia/ND game last year, he has a weird relationship with his family and told them not to come to Augusta, even though they live there, etc.

He's even a quasi-local (he went to Augusta St and won 2 national titles there) but very, very few wanted him to win.

I guess that's what happens when you're an extremely arrogant d-bag, cheated during matches in college, went to Georgia but got kicked out and put on a Notre Dame jersey the day of the Georgia/ND game last year, he has a weird relationship with his family and told them not to come to Augusta, even though they live there, etc.

He's even a quasi-local (he went to Augusta St and won 2 national titles there) but very, very few wanted him to win.
I found it fitting that the one player standing near the 18th green to congratulate him was Bubba Watson. In an anonymous poll of the least liked players on tour (voted on by other players), Bubba was least liked, followed by Reed.

Reactions: 1 person
Reed was never caught cheating in any college tournaments. He would say he shot lower scores than he did during practice and pre-qualifying rounds. He was busted for drinking several times while at UGA.

I hate to say it, but most great golfers are arrogant d-bags (on the course). From what my friends on tour and my caddie friends say, he has changed and is pretty well like among his peers. With that being said...I'm sure the UGA Boosters at Augusta weren't at all happy with him getting that jacket.

And...the tour needs a villain.

I know he was voted as 2nd least liked player on tour, but he seems to trying to work on that. fwiw

I found it fitting that the one player standing near the 18th green to congratulate him was Bubba Watson. In an anonymous poll of the least liked players on tour (voted on by other players), Bubba was least liked, followed by Reed.

Good point.

On one hand, I kind of hate it for Reed too, even though I don't like him. I've seen at least 3 articles this morning detailing his interesting past, of course coming right on the heels of the biggest win of his career. That's more interesting than him winning the tournament, frankly.

The relationship (or lack thereof) he has with his own family is really bizarre and sad. I actually had no idea about that until this morning. I knew he was a guy that his fellow competitors didn't like for a variety of reasons, but didn't know he has shut himself off from his own family for no apparent good reason.

Good point.

On one hand, I kind of hate it for Reed too, even though I don't like him. I've seen at least 3 articles this morning detailing his interesting past, of course coming right on the heels of the biggest win of his career. That's more interesting than him winning the tournament, frankly.

The relationship (or lack thereof) he has with his own family is really bizarre and sad. I actually had no idea about that until this morning. I knew he was a guy that his fellow competitors didn't like for a variety of reasons, but didn't know he has shut himself off from his own family for no apparent good reason.
And Sean O'Hair is estranged from his father, too.

Good point.

The 3 articles you saw didn’t mention the reason?

In short there’s 2 reasons why he’s estranged from his family. One, he claims his dad was a task master/******* type. The other is that they apparently didn’t approve of his wife.

I hate to say it, but most great golfers are arrogant d-bags (on the course).

I get that, but he seems to be a d-bag even among other d-bags.

I've always thought someone like Rory, for example, seemed like one too and he never has come off as a very likable guy, but he was the crowd favorite yesterday until Spieth and Rickie made runs on the back 9. It's all relative.

You'd be hard pressed to find someone on the course grounds other than Reed's wife and caddie/brother-in-law who wanted him to win.

The 3 articles you saw didn’t mention the reason?

In short there’s 2 reasons why he’s estranged from his family. One, he claims his dad was a task master/******* type. The other is that they apparently didn’t approve of his wife.

Is she too good looking?

I said no good reason. The article I read said that it wasn't that they didn't approve his wife...they had reservations about them getting married that early (he was 22). When they expressed those reservations, his family didn't get invited to the wedding and he hasn't spoken to any of them since.

Reed was never caught cheating in any college tournaments. He would say he shot lower scores than he did during practice and pre-qualifying rounds. He was busted for drinking several times while at UGA.

I hate to say it, but most great golfers are arrogant d-bags (on the course). From what my friends on tour and my caddie friends say, he has changed and is pretty well like among his peers. With that being said...I'm sure the UGA Boosters at Augusta weren't at all happy with him getting that jacket.

And...the tour needs a villain.

I know he was voted as 2nd least liked player on tour, but he seems to trying to work on that. fwiw

Always good to hear people trying to better themselves

I said no good reason. The article I read said that it wasn't that they didn't approve his wife...they had reservations about them getting married that early (he was 22). When they expressed those reservations, his family didn't get invited to the wedding and he hasn't spoken to any of them since.

It’s obviously a good reason to him.

“Having reservations” is a nice way to say you don't approve.

VN Store

Back