'20 UY PG Santiago Vescovi (UT commit 11/22/19)

If he can’t play until second semester starts then I very seriously doubt he plays this year if he enrolls

Not worth it unless injuries happen

I could see us looking to secure him before he blows up or teams become more desperate for PG help in the spring after kids declare for the draft, transfer, etc. The plan may just be to get him on campus and RS him, but allow him to learn the system, train and diet, and go head to head with bonafide college guards. In the event he can contribute or we suffer injuries, maybe we turn him loose. This is the kind of thing an open scholarship affords you to do.

I could see us looking to secure him before he blows up or teams become more desperate for PG help in the spring after kids declare for the draft, transfer, etc. The plan may just be to get him on campus and RS him, but allow him to learn the system, train and diet, and go head to head with bonafide college guards. In the event he can contribute or we suffer injuries, maybe we turn him loose. This is the kind of thing an open scholarship affords you to do.
The back side of our SEC schedule is pretty vicious again this year. Maybe he learns the ropes in January, and mid-February he becomes a much needed player to help with the challenges of the last month.

I am not saying Vescovi shouldn't play second semester but I do see some differences in those two situations. Stokes was obviously physically ready to contribute at a position of need. Guard play is not our obvious position of weakness.
Through 1 game that’s hard to say imo...I definitely think if this guy was good enough to allow Turner to primarily play the 2 it could be an overall upgrade.

This reminds me of the Kyle Alexander situation more than the Stokes one. Alexander played a few games as a true freshman but didn’t contribute much or make the season a success. Don’t you wish he was eligible to play this year though.

This reminds me of the Kyle Alexander situation more than the Stokes one. Alexander played a few games as a true freshman but didn’t contribute much or make the season a success. Don’t you wish he was eligible to play this year though.

Well to be fair, Alexander was more baby giraffe than basketball player when he first got here and had to play out of necessity rather than being able to redshirt. Clearly he wasn't ready but we needed bodies in the post at the time. Vescovi on the other hand, at least to me, looks like he'd probably come in and be one of the best ball handlers on the team and could probably be a decent help off the bench.

Would love to see basketball move to the similar format of football where freshman/players can play in a certain amount/% of games but still redshirt that year.

Reactions: Lefteye
Still any chance of this happening? If Santiago wants in, I hope he does enroll in January. Late to the party or not, I think they need another reliable ball handler for the 2nd half of the season.
Agree. At the least, this kid would allow Turner to not have to play 39 minutes a game, like last night. Plus, this kid has some handles and kinda reminds me of Ricky Rubio. Plus, I kinda like the international pipeline UTs got going on

Reactions: Lefteye
Agree. At the least, this kid would allow Turner to not have to play 39 minutes a game, like last night. Plus, this kid has some handles and kinda reminds me of Ricky Rubio. Plus, I kinda like the international pipeline UTs got going on
Hopefully they make that happen

VN Store

Back