'20 UY PG Santiago Vescovi (UT commit 11/22/19)

So now it’s only contributing if it’s a winning team?

Of course not but there is undeniably a difference between what kind of player it takes to crack the rotation of a winning team and a bad one.

I mean guys like Kosongo and Reese “contributed” but weren’t “winning players” a few years back.

Let me make my stance as clear as possible. If Kent and or Pember are pushed into meaningful minutes I don’t think they can contribute in a way that helps us win games. In fact I expect the overall strength of our team will be diminished.

Gotta say I was sold when I saw that Butler offered. After seeing video, I'm all in with this kid. Bring him on!

Reactions: StrangeVol
I think he a definite take...great handle and nice shot...could be a little quicker getting it off but good shooting form.

Reactions: CAVPUT
Of course not but there is undeniably a difference between what kind of player it takes to crack the rotation of a winning team and a bad one.

I mean guys like Kosongo and Reese “contributed” but weren’t “winning players” a few years back.

Let me make my stance as clear as possible. If Kent and or Pember are pushed into meaningful minutes I don’t think they can contribute in a way that helps us win games. In fact I expect the overall strength of our team will be diminished.
Wow, I'll respectfully disagree with this. I watched Pember closely when he was in and it was clear to me that he has a good understanding of the game beyond the typical freshman. Opponents are going to underestimate him because of his height, but he plays like a guard at times and that will surprise them. He'll make up for some of his lack of strength with smarts and effort.

If he stays healthy, I expect to see him contributing off the bench, and I see that as a benefit to the team rather than a sign of disaster. And for the record, I was skeptical about his ability to contribute at this level.

Granted with a very limited sample size in which to judge, Kent doesn’t look like he will help much other than give us some fouls to use. I hope I’m wrong but I don’t see much upside there. Pember, I tend to have a different opinion. Significant lack of strength but he may be able to pull much larger power forwards out of the paint where they aren’t comfortable defending because he seems willing to put the ball on the floor and appeared to move well without the ball. If his perimeter FG% is reasonable, he can help us this year at times.

Granted with a very limited sample size in which to judge, Kent doesn’t look like he will help much other than give us some fouls to use. I hope I’m wrong but I don’t see much upside there. Pember, I tend to have a different opinion. Significant lack of strength but he may be able to pull much larger power forwards out of the paint where they aren’t comfortable defending because he seems willing to put the ball on the floor and appeared to move well without the ball. If his perimeter FG% is reasonable, he can help us this year at times.

The practices I've watched I just don't see Kent being a huge factor ever. The guy looked lost and disinterested half the time in drills and then once scrimmages took place he looked out of sorts. I do hope I'm wrong.

Pember, just looked inexperienced. I think in a season or two he'll be a factor. This year, as long as his time isn't a net/loss I'd consider that massive for a skinny freshman adjusting to the college game. I have high hopes for his career here. He's not scared which is huge for a guy with his build playing the positions he'll be in.

Reactions: cardvolfan
I forget the time line with Stokes. Can the mid-term participants begin practicing as soon as finals are over in December, but can't play in a game until enrolled in the semester which begins in January?

And if that’s the case it’s still a positive, but I do think given the depth issue that he very likely could see some minutes.

Agreed on it being a positive either way but I don’t see a guard being able to give good minutes just getting onto campus for the meat of the schedule.

Help me recall, Stokes got to play as soon as the first semester was completed?!

Stokes played in his first game on 1/14/2012 versus KY. It was the 5th game in January after he sat on 1/2, 1/4, 1/7, and 1/12. No idea if that was a Cuonzo decision, wrapping up HS, or NCAA rule that kept him out of the first 4, but I assume he wasn't practicing immediately after the fall semester ended.

Stokes played in his first game on 1/14/2012 versus KY. It was the 5th game in January after he sat on 1/2, 1/4, 1/7, and 1/12. No idea if that was a Cuonzo decision, wrapping up HS, or NCAA rule that kept him out of the first 4, but I assume he wasn't practicing immediately after the fall semester ended.

1573224727676.png
1573224499646.png
But Martin didn't want to rush Stokes onto the floor, even though he is 6-foot-8 and 250 pounds and physically ready to play with any big man. He hadn't practiced. His game conditioning was an unknown. He didn't know how his coach wanted him to defend. And he certainly didn't know the offense. So Martin kept Stokes out of the first two games he could have played (against Florida, a win at home, and at Mississippi State, a loss on the road).
Tennessee's Stokes excelling despite midseason arrival

I believe the article above is incorrect about Florida, as I'm pretty sure that when Stokes enrolled for spring semester 2012 he couldn't play until classes began on Jan. 11th. So if we land Vescovi and he enrolls in January, the earliest action he could see would be against South Carolina on Jan. 11th (classes start on the 8th).

Last edited:
Really wouldn't need to rush Vescovi into action with Turner, Bowden, James, Johnson, and Gaines playing. He could add depth for the late season grind and tournament runs. If he was a post player bringing him up to speed would be more urgent.

Uros could still become eligible by January. TN could potentially be transformed by 2020, but realistically 2 freshman won't massively alter the path.

Reactions: cardvolfan
If he's a 4-year player I hope that he doesn't waste his first one seeing limited time in the 2nd half of this season. We will lose a lot of perimeter players over the next 2 or 3 seasons. Turner, Bowden, J Johnson, James, Bailey, Springer, K Johnson, and possibly more.

Agreed on it being a positive either way but I don’t see a guard being able to give good minutes just getting onto campus for the meat of the schedule.

Help me recall, Stokes got to play as soon as the first semester was completed?!

I’m not claiming he’s going to come in here and be All-SEC, but at the very least I think it would give us some added depth and potentially lighten the kid for some guys heading into the grind.

Reactions: Vols All Day

VN Store

Back