'20 UY PG Santiago Vescovi (UT commit 11/22/19)

The only thing that scares me about this kid, "what kind of talent is he playing against?". He may be in shock and need some time to handle SEC basketball players. So help for this year, could be wishful thinking and I've been guilty of it. But, the more I think about it, the odds would be high against him being any help this year. Hope that's wrong and he commits, signs, comes in like mothereffing, Luka or probably more like Ricky Rubio, but I doubt it

I think he will be alright The Dog. He has faced some good talent.

On Rocky Top Insider it was stated “[a]fter that, Vescovi played in a six-team NBA G-League International Challenge in Uruguay. The talented point guard was one of the youngest players participating there, but that didn’t hold him back.
Vescovi averaged 12.5 points, 4.3 rebounds, three assists, and 1.5 steals in four games. He made seven of his 13 three-pointers and went up against teams with former NBA players such as Greg Monroe, Paul Zipser, and Josh Huestis.”

Last edited:
The only thing that scares me about this kid, "what kind of talent is he playing against?". He may be in shock and need some time to handle SEC basketball players. So help for this year, could be wishful thinking and I've been guilty of it. But, the more I think about it, the odds would be high against him being any help this year. Hope that's wrong and he commits, signs, comes in like mothereffing, Luka or probably more like Ricky Rubio, but I doubt it
Hopefully we’re in a position at PG where we don’t need to rely too much on him as a freshman...

Reactions: The Dog
If you watch some of his other videos, he looks to handle the ball really well, he distributes the ball well, and drives with the ball really well.

He has a nice shot; however his set shot and release can be a bit slow at times.

Tennessee certainly needs another PG, however (for me) if James stays for next season (which I think he does), Tennessee needs a power forward more than a PG........seems like someone would have to redshirt......I mean with him as an addition Tennessee would have 5 or 6 players for 2 spots......that is half of a rotation, or more.

If you watch some of his other videos, he looks to handle the ball really well, he distributes the ball well, and drives with the ball really well.

He has a nice shot; however his set shot and release can be a bit slow at times.

Tennessee certainly needs another PG, however (for me) if James stays for next season (which I think he does), Tennessee needs a power forward more than a PG........seems like someone would have to redshirt......I mean with him as an addition Tennessee would have 5 or 6 players for 2 spots......that is half of a rotation, or more.
Next season at the power forward we will have pons, Oliver, Corey Walker, and Pember. I see what your saying but I think we will be fine at the power forward.

Next season at the power forward we will have pons, Oliver, Corey Walker, and Pember. I see what your saying but I think we will be fine at the power forward.

I figured walker would play the wing (maybe I was wrong), also with enough help, I would think Pons would be more beneficial at the wing (especially if his shooting keeps up).

Depending on if/who transfers out the point could be moot anyway.....as they could land a PF.

I have only seen 3 or 4 videos on the kid, but if Tennessee lands him, I think he would eventually become their primary ball handler.

Reactions: Willy14
I figured walker would play the wing (maybe I was wrong), also with enough help, I would think Pons would be more beneficial at the wing (especially if his shooting keeps up).

Depending on if/who transfers out the point could be moot anyway.....as they could land a PF.

I have only seen 3 or 4 videos on the kid, but if Tennessee lands him, I think he would eventually become their primary ball handler.
Yeah I think Walker can play the 3 or the 4 and I honestly think pons is much better at the 4 but that's just my opinion, plus with all the guards we have coming in next year, I think it would be beneficial for him to stay at the 4, I know its a small sample size but just look at the first two games.

Reactions: VOLED
Agree with this. I think Walker can play both forward positions (as can Pember and Pons) and once he gets into our strength program he may very well naturally turn into a highly skilled 4. Barnes seems to want to player smaller, with more ball handling, motion, and perimeter shooting. Walker would be a match-up nightmare for traditional BF who may guard him. He has an old school game and can really do everything despite not having high level athleticism. He is just a baller.

Next year we very well may have at times the following players on the floor at the same time. James, Springer, K. Johnson, and Walker. That is a ridiculously young yet skilled 1 to 4.

Rumor has it they are going to try and get this guy enrolled to play this season like they did with Stokes years ago.

In one of the camp things he participated in over the summer, he played against former NBA players. I think he's played against some good competition.

I will lead the riot if we get him and he is declared ineligible.
Vescovi
Turner
Bowden
Pons
Fulk

With JJJ and JJ coming off the bench is a pretty stout team.

I will lead the riot if we get him and he is declared ineligible.
Vescovi
Turner
Bowden
Pons
Fulk

With JJJ and JJ coming off the bench is a pretty stout team.

Expecting a 3* 2020 recruit to come in mid-year and eventually start in his first semester is a bit crazy. Especially over JJJ who will have had several games/practices with the team and was a 5* recruit.

I think at best he would be our 3rd option at PG.

Not saying he wouldn't contribute but i'd lower expectations a bit lol

Expecting a 3* 2020 recruit to come in mid-year and eventually start in his first semester is a bit crazy. Especially over JJJ who will have had several games/practices with the team and was a 5* recruit.

I think at best he would be our 3rd option at PG.

Not saying he wouldn't contribute but i'd lower expectations a bit lol
I mean he played against pretty tough competition. May not start day one, but could definitely be an option by March.

Yeah I think Walker can play the 3 or the 4 and I honestly think pons is much better at the 4 but that's just my opinion, plus with all the guards we have coming in next year, I think it would be beneficial for him to stay at the 4, I know its a small sample size but just look at the first two games.

I think Pons is much more comfortable at the 4.

Reactions: Vols All Day
I think he could be a valuable contributor by then, but you are basically saying he'd pass up JJJ in the rotation which I think is very unlikely.
I still think JJJ is best suited at the 3 if his scoring ever translates. But he will never or never was going to be someone who gives you 18 ppg. 8-10 points 6-7 boards 5-6 assist per game would be reasonable for later in the year imo.

I think he could be a valuable contributor by then, but you are basically saying he'd pass up JJJ in the rotation which I think is very unlikely.
Of course, right now, it is a very small sample size, but I think its beginning to be fair to question how much point guard James is going to play this year. Barnes seems to want the ball in the hands of Turner, at this point.

So, Vescovi could become the backup to LT and still not pass JJJ in the actual rotation because it appears as though James is playing almost exclusively off the ball as a 3rd guard. Vescovi's presence could simply be an effort to not have to play Turner for 39 minutes/gm at the point.

Reactions: Dallasbowlin
Reminds some of Rubio, moves like Stockton, shoots like Kerr, jumps like Rex Chapman......what’s the same with all these?

VN Store

Back