'20 TN SG Matthew Murrell

I would agree. I say he is further down the board. Considering the recent developments of Bryce Thompson and Josh Hall
I have made it known that IMO, MM is at least below Springer, Johnson, Love, Thompson at guard. Keon is likely a SF by trade, but like Admiral, essentially a 3rd guard on the floor.

According to VQ, Tennessee is in a great spot for Springer so unless the staff decides to pass on him, you have to like our chances.

I felt pretty good about him until UNC got in the picture. I don't doubt that Tennessee is in a good spot. But unless they are THE spot, doesn't mean much.

Last edited:
Rick Barnes isn't passing on him just like Im not passing on Mila Kunis or Margot Robbie. Good grief

I have been on the springer train for day one (and for good reason) i am feeling pretty good about our chances.

Made the list for the 12 players in 2020 and 2021 who have boosted their stock this spring and in line for a big rankings climb.
Alabama, Arkansas, Auburn, Florida, Georgetown, Illinois, Memphis, Tennessee, Vanderbilt and others would love to have him. Murrell is as explosive as they come along the baseline and has a tremendous first step. He is able to punish defenders physically, finishes above the rim in traffic and competes on both ends. What he's done best, though, is hone his jump shooting from 15 to 23 feet.
-Rivals

Last edited:
Reactions: SlyStone
Not necessarily. Like some of the FB players in Phillip Fulmer's day, who were from Meffis, were told by their mamas---
"buying players is not going to happen for my son, because he is not going to be a slave."

And you may want to tell that to Tony Harris and several UT starters in the past 20 years who were from Meffis---who were NOT bought and paid for, and who were good enough to get 'em to the big dance.

Meffis had two major coaches who have had to disown a lot of the trophies they had won, because of cheating. Just that simple.

Not saying Hardaway is doing anything wrong. But Meffis boosters have been known to be dirty...really dirty.

Maybe it is coincidental, but a year after Hardaway arrived, the Athletics Director resigned and a search is underway for his replacement.

The Athletic Director..Tom Bowen butted heads with Memphis president Dr. Rudd about a great many number of things.
A lot of people were ticked...including Dr. Rudd...about Bowen dumbing down the football schedule.
When a Memphis fan wrote the letter describing what she saw a a red flag moment between AD Bowen, and a subordinate employee a la Bobby Petrino at Arkansas....she wrote a letter to Dr. Rudd.
Four days later...Bowen resigned..in lieu of an investigation being launched.

Interesting. Felt like that hire was a good move by Penny from an Xs and Os perspective. Wonder what happened and how it changes things moving forward for their outlook.

Sam Mitchell helped Penny get his feet wet as a favor.
Rumor is he is looking at pro jobs...he may be in the running for the Memphis Grizzlies job...we're not really sure at this point.
Things between Mitchell and Hardaway are fine.

Reactions: SlyStone
I doubt Penny will keep his hands clean, especially in the Memphis area where scandals seem to happen all the time.

#1 recruiting class after an NIT performance last season, yea right....

Penny got a NIT performance...out of a team largely assembled out of juco/Div II level basketball talent.
Their KenPom rating improved from #161 under Tubby Smith, to #58 under Hardaway in one season.
What is undeniable, is they improved as the season went on.

Penny Hardaway has a buzz about him that many other coaches don't have at the moment.
He's the only NCAA coach who has his own shoe brand with Nike...it happens to be the 2nd most popular shoe behind Jordan's.

Sam Mitchell helped Penny get his feet wet as a favor.
Rumor is he is looking at pro jobs...he may be in the running for the Memphis Grizzlies job...we're not really sure at this point.
Things between Mitchell and Hardaway are fine.
Thanks. I figured as much.

Murrell going to IMG probably helps Memphis. Trey Draper, who is a former Memphis player, is an assistant coach there. The Draper family has been involved with Memphis basketball for a long time. I believe Trey's grandfather was friends with Larry Finch.

Murrell going to IMG probably helps Memphis. Trey Draper, who is a former Memphis player, is an assistant coach there. The Draper family has been involved with Memphis basketball for a long time. I believe Trey's grandfather was friends with Larry Finch.
I wouldn’t even waste my days if I’m Tennessee, it’s going to be Memphis or Vanderbilt...I would’ve recruited against just Memphis because maybe they pass in the fall but imo we quickly fell to 3rd when Vandy hired his coach. We have many other guys that are more realistic imo, I would focus on them.

I wouldn’t even waste my days if I’m Tennessee, it’s going to be Memphis or Vanderbilt...I would’ve recruited against just Memphis because maybe they pass in the fall but imo we quickly fell to 3rd when Vandy hired his coach. We have many other guys that are more realistic imo, I would focus on them.

I tend to agree, especially considering our numbers and who we are currently recruiting.

VN Store

Back