'20 TN SG Matthew Murrell

I’d be shocked if we get this guy. UT just can’t infiltrate Memphis hoops recruits. That really goes for a lot of programs. The only chances UT has are with the private school kids and suburban area players. They’re more likely to leave their hometown.
Memphis may have bigger fish to fry. That is our best chance with him. Of course, we may too.

Gonna be interesting to watch this year, not exactly enough minutes for everyone in that backcourt and with some of those being hometown kids that could get a bit ugly.
I think it will . They still have Alex Lomax and Tyler Harris too . Lomax May have to end up transferring

I'm tired of getting hyped about guys from Memphis and getting turned down. Let's just give Memphis to Mississippi or Arkansas and be done with it.
===========================
Either you are a Memphis fan or Vandy fan or somebody else's fan, who is trying to pollute the well for the Vols---or you are the most politically tone deaf fan on the planet. Nobody is that dumb, I don't believe' so you are somebody else's fan, trying to paint us as doofises to the recruits.

Go away, please.

I’d be shocked if we get this guy. UT just can’t infiltrate Memphis hoops recruits. That really goes for a lot of programs. The only chances UT has are with the private school kids and suburban area players. They’re more likely to leave their hometown.
===========================
Tell that to Tony, and the others. Could you possibly state something positive about UT's history of getting good players from Meffis. We even got a 50/50 split on two brothers. Sheesh...

Don't give up. Don't ever give up.
=================\ That comment about Memphis may be one of the most doofis comments I have seen on message boards, and that is a lot of doofisness, over the years---IF such posters are Vols fans. The reason: It is guaranteed to rub Meffis folks the wrong way. I lived there 25 years---was a Memphian, and was proud of it. And in the areas in which many of the BB stars are learning the game, that comment would be called the "opinion of a cracker." It smacks of implied bigotry, racism, and puts down the area---which means it gives ammo to opponents in recruiting. Since Vols fans are not that dumb, that poster has to be somebody from some other university, trying to paint the Vols into a bad corner.

The more this kid improves the harder it will be to get him out of Memphis.

Not necessarily. Like some of the FB players in Phillip Fulmer's day, who were from Meffis, were told by their mamas---
"buying players is not going to happen for my son, because he is not going to be a slave."

And you may want to tell that to Tony Harris and several UT starters in the past 20 years who were from Meffis---who were NOT bought and paid for, and who were good enough to get 'em to the big dance.

Meffis had two major coaches who have had to disown a lot of the trophies they had won, because of cheating. Just that simple.

Not saying Hardaway is doing anything wrong. But Meffis boosters have been known to be dirty...really dirty.

Maybe it is coincidental, but a year after Hardaway arrived, the Athletics Director resigned and a search is underway for his replacement.

Not necessarily. Like some of the FB players in Phillip Fulmer's day, who were from Meffis, were told by their mamas---
"buying players is not going to happen for my son, because he is not going to be a slave."

And you may want to tell that to Tony Harris and several UT starters in the past 20 years who were from Meffis---who were NOT bought and paid for, and who were good enough to get 'em to the big dance.

Meffis had two major coaches who have had to disown a lot of the trophies they had won, because of cheating. Just that simple.

Not saying Hardaway is doing anything wrong. But Meffis boosters have been known to be dirty...really dirty.

Maybe it is coincidental, but a year after Hardaway arrived, the Athletics Director resigned and a search is underway for his replacement.
Name all the basketball starters over the last 20 years for the University of Tennessee that hailed from Memphis public schools that Tennessee landed out of high school. Tony Harris, who you've mentioned, is one of three that I'm aware of.

Reactions: RyanWalkerPGH
And a very poor move when your head coach doesn't have any D1 coaching experience
I mostly agree, but he probably felt the need to hire someone with direct HS ties since he likely has none himself. Similar to Penny hiring Mike Miller. Of course, Stackhouse doesn't have a former NBA COY on his bench to balance that out, either. Time will tell, I guess. It's a bold (risky) move, for sure.

I mostly agree, but he probably felt the need to hire someone with direct HS ties since he likely has none himself. Similar to Penny hiring Mike Miller. Of course, Stackhouse doesn't have a former NBA COY on his bench to balance that out, either. Time will tell, I guess. It's a bold (risky) move, for sure.

Stackhouse has more Hs ties than you think with his the AAU program.

Didn't realize Stack had an AAU team. What's it called, and how involved was he with it? Just a sponsor, or hands on like Penny was with his?

I'm not the person to really know the answer but the Nashville media did make a big deal out of it when he was hired

Name all the basketball starters over the last 20 years for the University of Tennessee that hailed from Memphis public schools that Tennessee landed out of high school. Tony Harris, who you've mentioned, is one of three that I'm aware of.
==================

Read the reply on a couple of the other boards....couple of dozen.

VN Store

Back