'20 TN SG Matthew Murrell

I’d be shocked if we get this guy. UT just can’t infiltrate Memphis hoops recruits. That really goes for a lot of programs. The only chances UT has are with the private school kids and suburban area players. They’re more likely to leave their hometown.

Memphis has a special relationship with its high school players...that's been fostered for awhile.
Tuibby Smith alienated the Memphis high school coaches by demoting assistant coach Keelon Lawson.
Keelon's family had a lot of friends among the high school coaching scene...which made Tubby have to resort to recruiting out of the city and the juco ranks for players.
With Penny leading the way...the high school relationship fences have been mended.

You can still field a pretty damned good team with the high school players that Memphis does not offer though...and I am not trying to be condescending, smart alecky or whatnot. It has a pretty good talent pool to draw from.

Memphis has a special relationship with its high school players...that's been fostered for awhile.
Tuibby Smith alienated the Memphis high school coaches by demoting assistant coach Keelon Lawson.
Keelon's family had a lot of friends among the high school coaching scene...which made Tubby have to resort to recruiting out of the city and the juco ranks for players.
With Penny leading the way...the high school relationship fences have been mended.

You can still field a pretty damned good team with the high school players that Memphis does not offer though...and I am not trying to be condescending, smart alecky or whatnot. It has a pretty good talent pool to draw from.

Welcome to VolNation. We’re pretty accommodating with opposing fans, except the ones that choose to troll. Post often and bring some insight from the west end of the state. I’m a lifelong Memphian, so I understand the Memphis basketball culture as well as any Memphis fans.

Of course, I made that post before his high school coach took an assistant position with Stackhouse at Vandy, so that throws a wrench in things and makes his recruitment even harder.

Welcome to VolNation. We’re pretty accommodating with opposing fans, except the ones that choose to troll. Post often and bring some insight from the west end of the state. I’m a lifelong Memphian, so I understand the Memphis basketball culture as well as any Memphis fans.

Of course, I made that post before his high school coach took an assistant position with Stackhouse at Vandy, so that throws a wrench in things and makes his recruitment even harder.

I come in peace.
I don't believe in trolling other message boards.
I myself post over at CSNbbs - Dockery-Finch Memorial Tiger Sports Forum aka Memphis Tigers.org. If you post there.....uh yeah some of the folks there are not as welcoming as I am.

I lived in Knoxville for 3 1/2 years...went to school at Pellissippi State. Love the area...its a great college atmosphere town....even if you're not a Vol fan.
I hope I don't fuffle any feathers here...it is not my intention.
I love civil discussions...and I believe we both have an inordinate hatred for all things UK. LOL

Reactions: ATC_VOL
I come in peace.
I myself post over at CSNbbs - Dockery-Finch Memorial Tiger Sports Forum aka Memphis Tigers.org. If you post there.....uh yeah some of the folks there are not as welcoming as I am.

I lived in Knoxville for 3 1/2 years...went to school at Pellissippi State. Love the area...its a great college atmosphere town....even if you're not a Vol fan.
I love civil discussions...and I believe we both have an inordinate hatred for all things UK. LOL

I have an account on there. Haven’t posted in a few years.

Your account name is familiar. I won’t name it due to VN guidelines but we probably posted years ago on another site before forums were disbanded. But I’ve been on VN for nearly a decade, and it’s the best forum I’ve been on far and away.

I have an account on there. Haven’t posted in a few years.

Your account name is familiar. I won’t name it due to VN guidelines but we probably posted years ago on another site before forums were disbanded. But I’ve been on VN for nearly a decade, and it’s the best forum I’ve been on far and away.

I remember you Gordon....I'm Glenn. :cool:

Reactions: gordonr24
I just don't think Tennessee ultimately lands Springer. So I would definitely take Murrell as a consolation.
I know, I love how these people think Barnes is now picking who he wants. No, he’s continuing to struggle in recruiting and getting beat by 1st year coaches at Vandy and Va Tech.

I know, I love how these people think Barnes is now picking who he wants. No, he’s continuing to struggle in recruiting and getting beat by 1st year coaches at Vandy and Va Tech.
Yup, nobody wanted ORN, Bailey, Walker Jr. or Josiah James...geez, you don’t even try to pretend to hide it do you?

You seem like a fun person to have at a party. I bet you complain that the cake is too dry, the music is too loud, and the chips are too salty.

Reactions: cncchris33
And I love how you twist the narrative in an attempt to disparage the staff and university. Your shtick isn't fooling anyone, not even the guy who you are trying to agree with that BS comment.

Barnes isn't picking who he wants. He is prioritizing who he wants to pursue. Two different things, genius. And that level of prioritization is predicated on reciprocal interest from the kids; something he and his staff know a heck of a lot more about than you or I.

Please list the players Barnes has lost to Jerry Stackhouse. It should take you zero seconds to do that. Even if Matthew Murrell lands there, it only comes after they hired his head coach as an assistant and that Tennessee wouldn't take his commitment, right now. But, no, let's call that one a loss so it paints the coach and his staff in a bad light, even though Murrell isn't even committed to them, right now.

6976_DrPhiL.png

Please don't ever change. It makes my day when I login and get to read your posts. I laugh so hard. Laughter burns calories and is good for the soul. Whether ignorance or trolling makes no difference to me because the result is the same, laughter. So thank you!

What is your impression of the shooting guards, and whose ranking do you believe most strongly in?
This is where we find some of the top spring breakthrough performers. Bryce Thompson, D.J. Steward, Matthew Murrell and Ian Martinez are just a few players who have made the shooting guard position arguably the deepest position in the 2020 class. Whether you want college-ready stars, NBA prospects or four-year guys, the off-guard spot is where to find them.
-Rivals

I come in peace.

Have kept an eye on the forum for a while (being a Memphis native). The difference in energy now is hilarious. Those Tubby years were bleak.

Reactions: SlyStone
Landed bailey, Plavsic ORN and James this recruiting cycle (alll Top 150) but yet you only mention missing Cone?
There are plenty of others beside Cone and you of all people should know that. To say that Barnes hasn’t struggled recruiting in the upper ranks is a joke. Kudos if he gets it turned around. But, in speaking of the past up to this point my statement is nothing inaccurate.

Last edited:
What did I say that wasn’t true? Barnes has continually lost out on top prospects, Cone being the latest.
Hmmm...let's start by naming all the players Barnes has lost to Jerry Stackhouse at Vanderbilt. We can take turns naming them. You go first.

What coach DOESN'T miss on top tier prospects? Every coach that recruits in deep waters doesn't land every single top tier guy they go after. UK misses. Penny misses. Coach K misses. Bill Self misses.

Good Lord. Just keep moving the goalposts, I guess.

There are plenty of others beside Cone and you of all people should know that. To say that Barnes hasn’t struggled recruiting in the upper year is a joke. Kudos if he gets it turned around. But, in speaking of the past up to this point my statement has nothing inaccurate.
In the last 2 recruiting cycles how many misses has he had? Early on there definitely were some, but of late he’s absolutely hitting a much higher percentage.

VN Store

Back