'19 CA QB JT Daniels (Georgia commit)

We had the worst OL and DL in the SEC 2 seasons ago and you think we should have contended for an East championship? Explain to me how a better QB would have improved our line play that year.
One could make an argument last year, but yeah 2018 was terrible. One of the worst OL in all of fbs. Defense and s&c were just starting to claw back from disaster.

Reactions: PulaskiVolFan
One could make an argument last year, but yeah 2018 was terrible. One of the worst OL in all of fbs. Defense and s&c were just starting to claw back from disaster.
I don't think we could have won with any 17-23 year old QB in the country in '17 or '18 with the lines we had on both sides of the ball, I guess some of our couch coaching gurus could have led us to successful seasons back then. I'm waiting on one of them to explain how they could have done it.

I don't think we could have won with any 17-23 year old QB in the country in '17 or '18 with the lines we had on both sides of the ball, I guess some of our couch coaching gurus could have led us to successful seasons back then. I'm waiting on one of them to explain how they could have done it.
I would take Burrow, Tua, TL, or Fields last year and say we had...a SHOT at the East. Still not sure if we do, but I think we'd have 20-30% chance. OL was much better at pass pro last year. Rushing was marginally better.

Granted, defense still STUNK vs uf, uga, bama (before tua went out). They really turned it on 2nd half of the season...so maybe too late last year but meh. Glad we have UGA late in the season in case our defense repeats that.

Honestly, he looked better in some of those 2018 games under duress vs having time to over think where he wanted to go with the football.

Honestly, he looked better in some of those 2018 games under duress vs having time to over think where he wanted to go with the football.
Always does. It's why he's so good on 3rd downs. Good at just slinging it mid-deep. Then he has to think and go through progressions and his brain implodes. That "pass" to DWA vs Florida 🤣 I'll never forget that one.

More than RBs, they had better OL protection. JG had reason to live in fear his first starting season. But that should be a huge difference this year if everyone stays healthy.

A lot of his hits were because he held the ball too long and was a fake athlete per say and tried to be a runner too. And yeah coaching and OL were to his disadvantage but a lot of what happens is on JG

I’ve tried and tried to tell you to stop with the math/stats. They make your stance looks foolish.

Just say JG doesn’t have “it”. No feel in the pocket, gets sacked too much, fumbles too much and can’t get out of his head many times. That kind of talk doesn’t get made look foolish.

Andy Kelly
40 games
36 TDS
38 INTs

Tee Martin
38 games
32 TDs
16 INTs

JG
34 games
32 TDs
13 INTs

So unless you hate Andy Kelly and Tee as well then your math sucks again.

So really STFU about stats because when you mention them your stance looks foolish. Try the other angle I have been trying to teach you about. It has some validity.
I didn't realize Tee started 38 games. I must have missed a season somewhere.

Where do Tee and Kelly’s numbers rank, relative to other QBs of that era? Where does JG’s rank relative to his contemporaries? That’s what should be used if you’re comparing eras.

Honest question I don’t know.
I don't know either but I watched the replay of 98 SEC Championship today and until the last 7 mins Tee played one of the worst games I've ever seen. And I love Tee but he had great talent around him..

Equally as BAD and I’d gv Simms the slight heads up over JG
No way on earth is Simms better than JG...I don't care how long he hung around the NFL because of his dad. JG's flaws are pretty obvious, but to say Simms is better is way off base. I would argue that JG at his worst is not far off from Simms at his best. He's also better than Stephens and Worley. These aren't high bars, but don't go out of your way to slight the guy.

Where do Tee and Kelly’s numbers rank, relative to other QBs of that era? Where does JG’s rank relative to his contemporaries? That’s what should be used if you’re comparing eras.

Honest question I don’t know.
JGs numbers ranked in the top half of the SEC in nearly every category last season, I think that's pretty much the best way to rank him vs his contemporaries as it relates to last season.

Reactions: engineerVOL
I don't know either but I watched the replay of 98 SEC Championship today and until the last 7 mins Tee played one of the worst games I've ever seen. And I love Tee but he had great talent around him..

Tee had some absolute stinkers for sure. But he had some intangibles. Team loved him. That squad battled like their life depended on it.

I didn't realize Tee started 38 games. I must have missed a season somewhere.

Because he didn't. Started like 24 games. JG is a bad QB. He's been pulled as the starter numerous times. No amount of STATS can prove to me he's a good QB. Not even his flawed Comp %. Really need HB or the other two to step up. There is a ceiling with JG. It doesn't equal championship, unless the defense drags him there.

Reactions: WeeohdeeWood
I've never made an excuse for JG. I'm not running out of anything, it's you neverJG guys that continue to try and lay everything off on him. It's getting old and the fanbase is starting to get tired of the neverJG guys.

What? I live in Knoxville and have not met one single person that thinks JG is good. "The fanbase is getting tired..." lol stfu you have no idea what you're talking about.

I'm by no means a "never JG" guy, I would love him to blow up and be great this year. But he's like watching Rex Grossman play for the Redskins. It's just brutal.

What? I live in Knoxville and have not met one single person that thinks JG is good. "The fanbase is getting tired..." lol stfu you have no idea what you're talking about.

I'm by no means a "never JG" guy, I would love him to blow up and be great this year. But he's like watching Rex Grossman play for the Redskins. It's just brutal.
I'm with you. I don't hate on kids and wouldn't say anything bad about him. I feel like he works hard and does his best but man if my bung hole didn't pucker every time he dropped back.

JGs numbers ranked in the top half of the SEC in nearly every category last season, I think that's pretty much the best way to rank him vs his contemporaries as it relates to last season.
My issue with JG isn’t that he’s sixth. It’s why wasn’t he top 3? Lots of people use stats as a tool to support their reasoning for or against JG, my main frustration is why did he have 16 Tds and not 26? I’m more worried about what he’s not doing and why he’s not doing it. Why the hell did he not absolutely torch BYU who played Cover 3 basically the entire night? You could literally run 3 9 routes each pass play and get big hitters. He was late on so many throws that he could’ve had 4-5 tds that night.
I’m rooting for him to improve and take those steps, but I am skeptical. I don’t think it’s unreasonable to be that way and why it’s easily the most polarizing subject on UT football in a long time. And that’s saying something.

Because he didn't. Started like 24 games. JG is a bad QB. He's been pulled as the starter numerous times. No amount of STATS can prove to me he's a good QB. Not even his flawed Comp %. Really need HB or the other two to step up. There is a ceiling with JG. It doesn't equal championship, unless the defense drags him there.
Exactly. 22-3 as a starter.

Reactions: VolMike16
My issue with JG isn’t that he’s sixth. It’s why wasn’t he top 3? Lots of people use stats as a tool to support their reasoning for or against JG, my main frustration is why did he have 16 Tds and not 26? I’m more worried about what he’s not doing and why he’s not doing it. Why the hell did he not absolutely torch BYU who played Cover 3 basically the entire night? You could literally run 3 9 routes each pass play and get big hitters. He was late on so many throws that he could’ve had 4-5 tds that night.
I’m rooting for him to improve and take those steps, but I am skeptical. I don’t think it’s unreasonable to be that way and why it’s easily the most polarizing subject on UT football in a long time. And that’s saying something.

We are literally talking about a QB that struggles to connect on a swing pass. He missed multiple TD's last year that would have given himself much needed confidence in his ability but the dude has zero clock and awareness. Why people still take up for him after he went rogue against Bama I'll never understand. I want to win and he's proven over and over that he's not the guy. I hope JTD comes to the hill.

Reactions: VOLSONLY
Your complaints sound more about Pruitt's offensive philosophy than it does JG. I think if our running game can improve then our passing game would as well. Why didn't we run the ball all over BYU if all they did was play cover 3? I'm surprised guys like you have it figured out but Pruitt and Chaney can't seem to.

I'm with you. I don't hate on kids and wouldn't say anything bad about him. I feel like he works hard and does his best but man if my bung hole didn't pucker every time he dropped back.

Ha! I was more excited to land JG than any recruit I can remember since Justin Hunter. I remember Felder raving about him after the Elite 11. Barrett Sallee called him a heisman darkhorse on Smothered and Covered prior to his RS freshman year. I wanted this kid to succeed soo badly. But we've seen what he is in two full seasons and it isn't good. We need much better in order to succeed. Nothing wrong with fans wanting more.

Reactions: VOLSONLY
We are literally talking about a QB that struggles to connect on a swing pass. He missed multiple TD's last year that would have given himself much needed confidence in his ability but the dude has zero clock and awareness. Why people still take up for him after he went rogue against Bama I'll never understand. I want to win and he's proven over and over that he's not the guy. I hope JTD comes to the hill.
Take that up with Pruitt, he still seems to believe in JG. I guess you think Pruitt is an idiot for continuing to run JG out there. I think its dumb to expect a transfer to come into your program in August and be successful 3 weeks later in the SEC.

VN Store

Back