'18 PA JUCO OL Jahmir Johnson (UT signee)

giphy.gif

Brooks may as well move zip codes at this point, with Wood-Anderson and Warren coming in.

Probably not as we have no TE’s with size On our roster. The days of the crackback block in the zone read is over this is going to be big boy football Smash Mouth upfront need of 270and 280 pound blocking TE. Currently on our roster we have 220 pounds guys that simply won’t fit in the system

Is Bumphus not on the roster anymore? He's the big blocking type TE with decent hands. Pope should be in the 240-250 range next season.

With how OT has gone lately, Brooks needs to stay there through the spring at least. I doubt he has the quickness for TE anyway with those bum knees.

With the addition of Johnson today - Pruitt and company have moved the recruiting class up to 22nd in the county with a bullet. 👍

Reactions: 2 people
I am in no way qualified to analyze recruiting highlight videos but I just watched his. I'm not ready to say he'll be in the hall of fame, but he will definitely be a 7 time all pro, catch 8 tds on gimmick plays in his career and have 2 different jersey numbers retired with one team like kobe. He will also win 2 super bowl rings. And in 19 years I will quote this post and finally get the e cred I deserve. In all seriousness though he looks like a good player. And appears to have a bit of a mean streak. So boom and whatnot.

Reactions: 4 people
I suspected the same until I saw a report that proved otherwise.

It said only 33% of juco signees ever start 3 games in the SEC. Even less than that in the rest of the power 5 at 25%.

Juco isn't the way to go like many think it is.

The juco way is not that great and we have JG probably getting the nod and he is not someone I would count on. I hope we win 1 sec game in our first six that would be improvement. It will take awhile to get rid of the ‘softness’ Butch has manifested her.

Watched his commitment video; pretty cool. Interesting he didn’t start playing ball until the 11th grade.

Last edited:
On his show Sunday, called out Niedermayer for Tweeting that. Didn’t feel it was appropriate with as little time as he’s had in Knoxville. Though Fulmer would discipline him.

Loved the tweet. Glad to have alpha coaches again. It's been years.

Reactions: 1 person
in breaking down johnson's game, it begins with his length. He has long arms, and he uses them to deliver a strong initial punch. He is patient and does not lean, and he gets ready in pass protection by sitting in a wide base and with good leverage.

He needs to work on his kick step a bit so he is quicker and can cover the edge if he is going to play offensive tackle, but his athleticism allows him to be the lead blocker on screen passes. He also has the athleticism to pull on blocks in the running game and the lead the way for the running back.

When drive run blocking, johnson stays low and he fires off the ball well. He is quick in shooting his hands and he targets inside on the defensive player well. He engages quickly and he remains on his block while moving his feet and turning the defender. He continues to pump his legs and he can sink his hips. He plays with very good balance. Johnson needs to continue to develop his strength, particularly in the upper body.

Final analysis: Knowing johnson had three years to play three seasons makes him a very attractive junior college prospect. He can play immediately at the guard position because of his athleticism and his initial punch. He bends well and he is able win leverage battles, but if he is going to play on the edge, he will have to develop his kick step more. The ideal situation is for johnson to begin his career as an interior offensive lineman, and then move to the edge later in his career.

Reactions: 6 people

VN Store

Back