'18 PA JUCO OL Jahmir Johnson (UT signee)

6’5, long arms, very athletic. Add 20-25lbs to his already 290 lb frame and he’ll be good to go imo.

I thought he weighted 275. Hope he weights 290! Not all undersized [weight wise] tackles are created equally I hope.

Tatum at 280 is at least 20 to 30 lbs under weight for the sec. Tatum is just not strong enough for the sec at this time, hope he puts on weight and strength for next year.

Each Player is different, Johnson could be very strong at his weight I sure hope so.

Tackle is our biggest need at this time!!! I think we have players who can play Guard and Center but we need Tackles. I hope Johnson can fill one of our tackle needs.

I thought he weighted 275. Hope he weights 290! Not all undersized [weight wise] tackles are created equally I hope.

Tatum at 280 is at least 20 to 30 lbs under weight for the sec. Tatum is just not strong enough for the sec at this time, hope he puts on weight and strength for next year.

Each Player is different, Johnson could be very strong at his weight I sure hope so.

Tackle is our biggest need at this time!!! I think we have players who can play Guard and Center but we need Tackles. I hope Johnson can fill one of our tackle needs.

Strength is more important than pounds.

Reactions: 3 people
Former 5 star JUCO OL Dontavious Blair quickly comes to mind. Previous staff really struggled having success with JUCOs they brought in. Only Kamara and Pearson ever really panned out during their tenure, and of course, they completely mis-managed AK. I trust Pruitt to both evaluate and develop football players much better. Hope my trust is well placed.

JUCO players usually struggle because being successful in JUCO is much simpler. Speaking of how the game is played. JUCO coaches don't get 4-5 years to develop players and implement complicated schemes. Mentally they play a much simpler game. They must learn quickly when they get to the SEC. That is easier said then done many times.

Former 5 star JUCO OL Dontavious Blair quickly comes to mind. Previous staff really struggled having success with JUCOs they brought in. Only Kamara and Pearson ever really panned out during their tenure, and of course, they completely mis-managed AK. I trust Pruitt to both evaluate and develop football players much better. Hope my trust is well placed.

Notice our only Great JUCO during Butch's Tenure was Kamara... Now look at who coached him...who is still coaching on this staff? JUCOs don't fail as much everywhere else as they did here. There is a reason for that. Look for JUCOs to step up the next few years.

JUCOs don't fail as much everywhere else as they did here. There is a reason for that. Look for JUCOs to step up the next few years.

I suspected the same until I saw a report that proved otherwise.

It said only 33% of juco signees ever start 3 games in the SEC. Even less than that in the rest of the power 5 at 25%.

Juco isn't the way to go like many think it is.

It said only 33% of juco signees ever start 3 games in the SEC. Even less than that in the rest of the power 5 at 25%.

I agree it's not a high percentage do well. 33% sounds semi reasonable but we are well below that 33%. Von was savagely under used. Kongbo showed a small amount of improvement but his Discipline was bad, Jonathan Johnson was under used he could run the route and catch. Would have made a great 3rd go to WR. Not to meantion the ones that didn't even play.

Last edited:

I think the report just said start 3 games in the first year in the new program. Didn't address the second year. And I realize that we are just talking about next year right now. And it was 25% in the Big12 not power 5. It mentioned that the big12 took a lot more chances that year which explains the lower success rate. It was far from a comprehensive report though as it really only showed from 2015 if I remember correctly. I may be completely wrong and couldn't find the report to confirm. Haha:)

Reactions: 1 person
I agree it's not a high percentage do well. 33% sounds reasonable but we are well below that 33%. Von was savagely under used. Kongbo showed a small amount of improvement but his Discipline was bad, Jonathan Johnson was under used he could run the route and catch. Would have made a great 3rd go to WR. Not to meantion the ones that didn't even play.

Also looking back at some of our JUCOs, no way we grab busts like Woody Quin... Justin Martin probably plays better if he have a legit DB coach too.

I think the report just said start 3 games in the first year in the new program. Didn't address the second year. And I realize that we are just talking about next year right now. And it was 25% in the Big12 not power 5. It mentioned that the big12 took a lot more chances that year which explains the lower success rate. It was far from a comprehensive report though as it really only showed from 2015 if I remember correctly. I may be completely wrong and couldn't find the report to confirm. Haha:)

I thOught it was 3 games over the entire career but could be wrong

I thOught it was 3 games over the entire career but could be wrong

Yeah I can't remember for sure but I do remember it was just one year so hard to be real conclusive with so little data. It would be an interesting study if you had enough data to actually break it down by rating or juco or even which coaches were better at evaluating and developing them. Bill Snyder has always had a good rep with jucos but who knows really.

I’d like to see the statistics for normal HS signees. I’d be willing to bet it is a very similar percentage.

I would love for us to find a couple of fifth year grad transfers that could give us a good quality stop gap season.

And Kongbo was a big pickup out of JUCO at the time we got him to commit also. #1 ranked JUCO DE at the time I believe. And he's mostly been a "bust" so far, and hasn't gotten a real push to shine yet. I honestly have a good feeling about Kongbo this upcoming season. I think as a DE or even as a pass-rushing OLB in this new 3-4 Bama style D we hopefully incorporate,I think Kongbo finally gets his time to shine, and shows us that talent finally. He'll especially flourish with Pruitt and Sherrer coaching him up. Kongbo sheds that "bust" label this yr! Book it!

Owen Williams was pretty solid.

Weatherd was another one misused during his time here.

Owens was pretty solid, agree. And the whole Weatherd deal was odd. They went out of their way to routinely tell us he was this unique, outstanding talent and that they were gonna find creative ways to utilize him because he was a game changer.....and Jones never really played him. I guess it was more typical of Jones rather than odd. Hated it for Chris, he’s such a great kid.

And Kongbo was a big pickup out of JUCO at the time we got him to commit also. #1 ranked JUCO DE at the time I believe. And he's mostly been a "bust" so far, and hasn't gotten a real push to shine yet. I honestly have a good feeling about Kongbo this upcoming season. I think as a DE or even as a pass-rushing OLB in this new 3-4 Bama style D we hopefully incorporate,I think Kongbo finally gets his time to shine, and shows us that talent finally. He'll especially flourish with Pruitt and Sherrer coaching him up. Kongbo sheds that "bust" label this yr! Book it!

I certainly hope your right. I'm starting to believe that with the small amount of organized football Kongbo has played we might not see his potential while on the hill. My hopes for him is to be solid not great. I really hope our LB play takes the next step. We need some heat seeking missles at that position. We need to at minimum stay healthy and get some solid play. IMO our defense will go as far as the LB play will take it.

Last edited:
I hope he commits but also realize verbal commitments are worth ZERO

Agree they are non-binding until NSD. But they are worth more than zero when they are this close to NSD. With the early signing period already past there are many less slots available with P5 programs. In this case, he knows he has a good opportunity to start.

Reactions: 5 people

I bet high school signees that start 3 games or more in their career would be closer to that number than many on here think. Heck I feel like half our classes weren't even on the team a year or two later on several of these classes. Let alone even sniffing starting a game

I'd also like to see the number of jucos that sign AND qualify. In some cases teams without a full class will take a flyer on a big juco talent knowing he's a low chance to qualify but high upside if he does

Reactions: 2 people

VN Store

Back