'12 CA OL Matt Cochran (Cal commit)

3*... sweet.... jk.. i know centers aren't ranked very high regardless of ability. But with that said... waste of a scholly IMO.... we are in need of players at other positions... tifwiw

Last edited:
A Scout analyst just talked to Cochran at the Semper Fi Practice, he said that Cal & Tennessee are both at #1 on his list. He will be committing at the game this weekend. I'm still calling Cal on this one.

A Scout analyst just talked to Cochran at the Semper Fi Practice, he said that Cal & Tennessee are both at #1 on his list. He will be committing at the game this weekend. I'm still calling Cal on this one.

Would be a good pickup to start some positive recruiting mo again.

I hope you are right. We have too many other needs than a 3rd string center.

Who is our first string center in your opinion? Do we have one?

Not to mention the fact that he's 6'4'' 340. I think it's safe to assume he could play guard as well.

Who is our first string center in your opinion? Do we have one?

Not to mention the fact that he's 6'4'' 340. I think it's safe to assume he could play guard as well.

I agree. He has got the size to play C or G, and that would help with depth. I would think that we would take him, because we do need more depth at C...

Bullard IMO wasn't a great C, and Crowder is an unproven commodity. His guy appears to have the size to contribute in the two-deep for solid depth at C.

I'm still waiting for the experts to look at his tape and tell me how he can contribute in the SEC, or is being big your only qualification? The only SEC offers he got was us and The Barn. The Barn runs Mahlzan's sprint draw scheme, which we tried to do with our line blocking the last two years and look how that worked out. Bama passed on offering. If you want to get back to the top you don't do it this way IMO. The mobility and leverage are just not there. RS project at best.

I'm still waiting for the experts to look at his tape and tell me how he can contribute in the SEC, or is being big your only qualification? The only SEC offers he got was us and The Barn. The Barn runs Mahlzan's sprint draw scheme, which we tried to do with our line blocking the last two years and look how that worked out. Bama passed on offering. If you want to get back to the top you don't do it this way IMO. The mobility and leverage are just not there. RS project at best.

I yield to the coaching staff's evaluation over uninformed speculation. You could be right, but the coaches have the data to decide.

He can't contribute right away. However, as we continue to build depth in the OL, this guy will have plenty of time to develop. You should almost always take a solid O-lineman.

He can't contribute right away. However, as we continue to build depth in the OL, this guy will have plenty of time to develop. You should almost always take a solid O-lineman.

I agree with what your saying but who do you cut loose or stop recruiting to take him?
Posted via VolNation Mobile

I'm still waiting for the experts to look at his tape and tell me how he can contribute in the SEC, or is being big your only qualification? The only SEC offers he got was us and The Barn. The Barn runs Mahlzan's sprint draw scheme, which we tried to do with our line blocking the last two years and look how that worked out. Bama passed on offering. If you want to get back to the top you don't do it this way IMO. The mobility and
leverage are just not there. RS project at
best.
Bama not offering doesn't mean jack s***. I know they are good, but they ARE NOT the be all, end all of the recruiting world.

Reactions: 1 person

So you wanna tell the number 3 rated Center in the nation to look elsewhere? Not to mention, a guy who is massive in size and perfect mold for an SEC lineman? Thank God you're not the coach.

So you wanna tell the number 3 rated Center in the nation to look elsewhere? Not to mention, a guy who is massive in size and perfect mold for an SEC lineman? Thank God you're not the coach.

Its really not that simple. To say he is a take requires saying who is left out. So who you leaving out of the commits or targets?

BruinVol - you'll argue about anything I bet, won't you? Not making fun, I love when folks have passion...I'm just saying, it seems like you just can't get enough arguing, no matter the topic. :peace2:

BruinVol - you'll argue about anything I bet, won't you? Not making fun, I love when folks have passion...I'm just saying, it seems like you just can't get enough arguing, no matter the topic. :peace2:

Man that's tough. I think to say Cochran shouldn't be a take is fair when you consider the numbers. I don't think that's all that argumentative!

Man that's tough. I think to say Cochran shouldn't be a take is fair when you consider the numbers. I don't think that's all that argumentative!

We need a Olineman in this class IMO though, if Jelks was a take, I can't see why this behemoth wouldn't be.

VN Store

Back