10 Wins

I am usually pessimistic, but I think we get 10 wins this year. We have an easy schedule...at least compared to what an average SEC West team faces. If we were in the West, then I would predict 7 wins maximum, but I think we get 10 wins this year (including the bowl game).

I took some grief, and it would require upsetting either Georgia or Alabama, but not impossible. I know we have only beat SC and Missouri, which are two of the three worst teams in the league along with Vandy, but still....I am an optimist.

Oh wow. 10 wins would be great but I think the 4 to 6 range is more likely. Hope you’re right and I’m way off.

You think it’s a possibility we won our last game this year? I think that is about as likely as us running the table

You’ll never hear off my lips how any team will beat our Vols. I hate to see how some seem to enjoy the prospect. I’ll just choose to be silent.

I’m feeling 8 might just happen this year.

Reactions: RTVFL89
I am usually pessimistic, but I think we get 10 wins this year. We have an easy schedule...at least compared to what an average SEC West team faces. If we were in the West, then I would predict 7 wins maximum, but I think we get 10 wins this year (including the bowl game).

Have you happened to notice the next four opponents - Ole Miss, Kentucky, Georgia, and Alabama? We will be lucky to win one of those!

Have you happened to notice the next four opponents - Ole Miss, Kentucky, Georgia, and Alabama? We will be lucky to win one of those!

Well aren't you just the Debbie Downer.<div style="width:100%;height:0;padding-bottom:74%;position:relative;"><iframe src= width="100%" height="100%" style="position:absolute" frameBorder="0" class="giphy-embed" allowFullScreen></iframe></div><p><a href="">via GIPHY</a></p>

Which frankly would not be the worst outcome. It would mean that we beat a ranked team and would put us at 7 wins and in for a decent bowl bid. Win the bowl for 8 and I’d call it a pretty decent job by the coaching staff in year one. Lots of ball still got play though, and I think we manage to win two out of the next four. Not sure which two.

Love my Vols, but we aren't 10-win until we get a decent defense. We got a lot of freshmen in CB positions this season. If the front DL can't pressure and/or sack QBs consistently, it will cost us. I don't expect USCe to be easy pickings this year. It appears their entire receiver corps is returning, so there's the experience angle. Plus they get transfer Antwane Wells from James Madison who may or may not be a factor, this is the SEC after all. They also got Oklahoma 6' 6" 235lbs TE transfer Austin Stogner who seems to get separation consistently as well as being a height mismatch down field. Add that to our inexperienced secondary freshmen and it is a recipe for trouble. I'd love to see us go 10-win or better, but it won't happen without a decent defense. We barely survived last season due to these same weaknesses, we can't afford to keep living this way. I'm puzzled at our inability to attract quality CB and DL transfers, given the opportunities to break into positions of need line-up. Kentucky is going to be a problem too, much as I hate saying that.

Last edited:
Love my Vols, but we aren't 10-win until we get a decent defense. We got a lot of freshmen in CB positions this season. If the front DL can't pressure and/or sack QBs consistently, it will cost us. I don't expect USCe to be easy pickings this year. It appears their entire receiver corps is returning, so there's the experience angle. Plus they get transfer Antwane Wells from James Madison who may or may not be a factor, this is the SEC after all. They also got Oklahoma 6' 8" 235lbs TE transfer Austin Stogner who seems to get separation consistently as well as being a height mismatch down field. Add that to our inexperienced secondary freshmen and it is a recipe for trouble. I'd love to see us go 10-win or better, but it won't happen without a decent defense. We barely survived last season due to these same weaknesses, we can't afford to keep living this way. I'm puzzled at our inability to attract quality CB and DL transfer, given the opportunities to break into positions of need line-up. Kentucky is going to be a problem too, much as I hate saying that.

True. We need to score a bunch of points because we are going to give up a bunch.

The offense is going to be great. Just need the defense to be decent. Get a few 3 and outs and hold them to FGs when possible

I think we go 8-4.

Reactions: WoodsmanVol
Love my Vols, but we aren't 10-win until we get a decent defense. We got a lot of freshmen in CB positions this season. If the front DL can't pressure and/or sack QBs consistently, it will cost us. I don't expect USCe to be easy pickings this year. It appears their entire receiver corps is returning, so there's the experience angle. Plus they get transfer Antwane Wells from James Madison who may or may not be a factor, this is the SEC after all. They also got Oklahoma 6' 8" 235lbs TE transfer Austin Stogner who seems to get separation consistently as well as being a height mismatch down field. Add that to our inexperienced secondary freshmen and it is a recipe for trouble. I'd love to see us go 10-win or better, but it won't happen without a decent defense. We barely survived last season due to these same weaknesses, we can't afford to keep living this way. I'm puzzled at our inability to attract quality CB and DL transfer, given the opportunities to break into positions of need line-up. Kentucky is going to be a problem too, much as I hate saying that.
I agree. I think we've got a better shot at 10 this year than we did last year though. With all the roster movement now, it's hard to know exactly what teams will have until fall camp, but I think it's probably pretty safe to count Bama and @UGA as L's. We COULD probably win the rest if everything went right though beating Florida or winning at LSU can never be assumed under really any circumstances. I'd be satisfied with 8-4 next year, thrilled with 9-3 or better, especially if we happened to beat Florida.

Reactions: WoodsmanVol
Ball State W
Pittsburg W
Akron W
Florida
LSU
Alabama
UT-Martin W
Kentucky
Georgia
Missouri W
South Carolina W
Vanderbilt W

Bowl game

That’s 7 winnable games right there. I also think we could beat Kentucky or even Florida this year which would get us to 8/9 if so. Then a bowl game could be 10. I know that’s a lot of speculation and things going the right way. But I don’t think it’s out of the picture.

Didn’t realize this was from last year lol

Love my Vols, but we aren't 10-win until we get a decent defense. We got a lot of freshmen in CB positions this season. If the front DL can't pressure and/or sack QBs consistently, it will cost us. I don't expect USCe to be easy pickings this year. It appears their entire receiver corps is returning, so there's the experience angle. Plus they get transfer Antwane Wells from James Madison who may or may not be a factor, this is the SEC after all. They also got Oklahoma 6' 6" 235lbs TE transfer Austin Stogner who seems to get separation consistently as well as being a height mismatch down field. Add that to our inexperienced secondary freshmen and it is a recipe for trouble. I'd love to see us go 10-win or better, but it won't happen without a decent defense. We barely survived last season due to these same weaknesses, we can't afford to keep living this way. I'm puzzled at our inability to attract quality CB and DL transfers, given the opportunities to break into positions of need line-up. Kentucky is going to be a problem too, much as I hate saying that.
Horrible LB play cost us at least 2 games last year. Banks is serviceable, but Beasley was lost more times than not. Damn Ole Miss QB had a field day with Beasley.

Ball State W
Pittsburg W
Akron W
Florida
LSU
Alabama
UT-Martin W
Kentucky
Georgia
Missouri W
South Carolina W
Vanderbilt W

Bowl game

That’s 7 winnable games right there. I also think we could beat Kentucky or even Florida this year which would get us to 8/9 if so. Then a bowl game could be 10. I know that’s a lot of speculation and things going the right way. But I don’t think it’s out of the picture.

What makes Lsu so unbeatable?

Ball State W
Pittsburg W
Akron W
Florida
LSU
Alabama
UT-Martin W
Kentucky
Georgia
Missouri W
South Carolina W
Vanderbilt W

Bowl game

UF should be a win if UT can deal with the battle in their heads.

UK and UT were two trains passing in the night last year. UT was bouncing off the bottom. UK is beginning to decline from what might be its all time peak. Much of their success is directly related to UT being down. Remember though, during the worst stretch in modern UT football history... last 50 years or so... UK beat the Vols 3 times in 11 years.

Long story short... those games are VERY winnable as is LSU. I'm not predicting wins. Lots of things can happen. UT needs to shore up some position groups with portal guys. The D needs to take a step forward. But the three teams in question aren't world beaters. The only one settled at QB is UK... and that may not be a good thing.

VN Store

Back