‘23 ME PF JP Estrella (Tennessee commit)

I like how this guy was just completely off the radar, no one talking about him. Now he comes to Tennessee for a visit and Branham probably watched some tape to see why we’re hosting him lol.
Did you miss the article I posted a week ago from Branham watching him 2 months ago?

I've said in a couple other threads that he reminds me of Colin Castleton with a jumper out to the 3-pt line. Others have said Luke Garza from Iowa, and Drew Timme from Gonzaga.
He seems considerably more athletic than Garza and a better rim protector/ outside shooter than Timme imo.

He reminds me a bit of Zach Collins but ultimately seems like a really unique prospect. If he can step out and guard the 4 then it's going to be really fun if he can coexist with Aidoo or potentially Chinyelua.

Slightly less freshman ready/polished Lauri Markkanen? Very similar recruiting ranking coming out of HS as well as similar measurements.

Lauri can handle the rock like a wing though

I think TJ Leaf is the closest comp I can think of
I think Estrella is a better ball handler than many would think, he played guard all through growing up, he just hit a 8”-9” growth spurt that turned him into a big man…Leaf is a good comp as well.

Reactions: johnfnkelly
I think Estrella is a better ball handler than many would think, he played guard all through growing up, he just hit a 8”-9” growth spurt that turned him into a big man…Leaf is a good comp as well.
That just makes me think of Drew Pember. Their physical growth patterns through high school are so similar. Drew could handle the ball as well and could shoot the three, not to mention his passing ability and basketball IQ.

The issue I see with that comp is that Castleton literally has no perimeter threat to his game, that’s arguably the strongest part of Estrella’s game. That’s why a Collins or Timme comp seems better to me, jmo.
Adam Finkelstein's scouting report mentions that he is "a threat from the 3-pt line", but notes that "despite better form than he showed in the spring, he still isn't a high percentage 3-pt shooter". Hard to call that the strongest part of his game. I think his bread is still buttered in the paint even if he is still growing into his body. The threat of an outside shot only opens more space for him. And it's also why I called him Colin Castleton WITH an outside shot. Just calling him Castleton wouldn’t be as accurate, for the reasons you noted.

Reactions: berryvol
That just makes me think of Drew Pember. Their physical growth patterns through high school are so similar. Drew could handle the ball as well and could shoot the three, not to mention his passing ability and basketball IQ.
He was 3 for 19 from 3 while at UT. Never found his 3 point shot for us. Glad he’s found his game with his new program

I watched him play in his 16 league prior to watching an 18 game two years ago in Boston. As a Sophomore, he was much skinnier, and much shorter. He’s always had shoulders, but he looked like a shirt on a hanger. He played the two and three on a small team. He was a good/not great ball handler, but was a disciplined system player, and blocked shots at (probably) 6 3” then. He was/is a strong rebound tracker, and puts a lot of balls back. He comes out, is a threat to score from three, but isn’t deadly yet. My biggest observation seeing him then, and (on video) this year, he’s still coming into his body. It’s crazy how much he’s grown. His strength, movement and ball handling are all in progress. On the positive side, the kid is a workaholic, his body will hold another 20 pounds, and he might even get a little taller. I’ve never been good at comparisons with other players, but his midrange in putbacks, D and out of zone rebounding are similar to Castleton (as a Senior). He’s a better shooter, and rebounder. He’s smart. He plays unselfishly. He frustrates better players when he defends. He is not half the player he can be. There’s lots of upside.

Adam Finkelstein's scouting report mentions that he is "a threat from the 3-pt line", but notes that "despite better form than he showed in the spring, he still isn't a high percentage 3-pt shooter". Hard to call that the strongest part of his game. I think his bread is still buttered in the paint even if he is still growing into his body. The threat of an outside shot only opens more space for him. And it's also why I called him Colin Castleton WITH an outside shot. Just calling him Castleton wouldn’t be as accurate, for the reasons you noted.
This was from today…

“Estrella has pick and pop range that comfortably extends out beyond the three-point arc. In 17 attempts during the UAA Next Championships, Estrella shot 35.7 percent from three. Still getting used to being 6-foot-11 and growing into his frame, the shot will need to speed up a bit. However, the touch, balance, and confidence are there.”

Reactions: highspeed
This was from today…

“Estrella has pick and pop range that comfortably extends out beyond the three-point arc. In 17 attempts during the UAA Next Championships, Estrella shot 35.7 percent from three. Still getting used to being 6-foot-11 and growing into his frame, the shot will need to speed up a bit. However, the touch, balance, and confidence are there.”
No, I get it. I agree that he's a pretty good outside shooter. I just wouldn't necessarily say it's his strongest attribute. That 35.7% comes off of a very small sample size. How many games did they play in Chicago at the UAA Next Championships?

No, I get it. I agree that he's a pretty good outside shooter. I just wouldn't necessarily say it's his strongest attribute. That 35.7% comes off of a very small sample size. How many games did they play in Chicago at the UAA Next Championships?
Not sure, 6/7 probably, I just know he’s a good enough outside shooter that imo it’s his strongest asset. Yes he came score inside welll, but compared to other bigs imo his outside game is what sets him apart.

Not sure, 6/7 probably, I just know he’s a good enough outside shooter that imo it’s his strongest asset. Yes he came score inside welll, but compared to other bigs imo his outside game is what sets him apart.
That may be the dumbest thing you have ever said, "he's a good enough shooter that imo it's his strongest asset", and I really, kinda respect your analysis, most of the time. It may eventually become his best asset, but not right now. Still, a balla, tho, that is a Vol 🔒

Reactions: cncchris33
I've said in a couple other threads that he reminds me of Colin Castleton with a jumper out to the 3-pt line. Others have said Luke Garza from Iowa, and Drew Timme from Gonzaga.
Castleton with a jumper is spot on. Nice comparison. Not sure he has that shot blocking ability, but dang close.

Reactions: cncchris33

VN Store

Back