‘23 ME PF JP Estrella (Tennessee commit)

That may be the dumbest thing you have ever said, "he's a good enough shooter that imo it's his strongest asset", and I really, kinda respect your analysis, most of the time. It may eventually become his best asset, but not right now. Still, a balla, tho, that is a Vol 🔒
You don’t find many 6’11”-7’ guys who come in shooting 35%+ from 3, you do however find a bunch who can score in the paint.

Reactions: VolDave53
I hope he's comparable to that French kid, Victor Wembanyama, who smoked Chet Holmgren in that under 19 world tournament last year.
Well yeah, I'd love for JP to be next coming of Kareem Abdul Jabbar as well but I don't think that's going to happen lol.

Reactions: VOLED
You don’t find many 6’11”-7’ guys who come in shooting 35%+ from 3, you do however find a bunch who can score in the paint.
Come on, man...if you held the opposite position on this issue, you'd absolutely railroad someone for trying to posit that a 35% shooting percentages over maybe 6 games was some sort of rock-solid predictor of future performance and justification of his beat attribute as a player.

JP Prince could manage to shoot 35% over 6 games, and no one would say his outside shot was his best attribute.

Reactions: walkenvol
If Estrella has a slow release, I don’t see him being a big threat from three… yet. He will get sped up in the college game and that will throw off his accuracy significantly. That height does help though. Hopefully, he can develop an accurate quick release before too long.

If Estrella has a slow release, I don’t see him being a big threat from three… yet. He will get sped up in the college game and that will throw off his accuracy significantly. That height does help though. Hopefully, he can develop an accurate quick release before too long.
He doesn’t have a slow release and at 6’11. He doesn’t need a fast release lol. I don’t think the kid is going to be out at the three point line all game. He’s going to be a trailing three guy if I had to guess.

Reactions: 67Vol
He doesn’t have a slow release and at 6’11. He doesn’t need a fast release lol. I don’t think the kid is going to be out at the three point line all game. He’s going to be a trailing three guy if I had to guess.

I can see him having a similar role as Kyle Alexander.

Except Estrella is a lot more polished on offense at this stage.

Come on, man...if you held the opposite position on this issue, you'd absolutely railroad someone for trying to posit that a 35% shooting percentages over maybe 6 games was some sort of rock-solid predictor of future performance and justification of his beat attribute as a player.

JP Prince could manage to shoot 35% over 6 games, and no one would say his outside shot was his best attribute.
I’m not just basing it on that, I’m basing it on other performances and coaches opinions, he’s not some dominant back to the basket guy either. Offensively his 3pt shooting is his biggest strength, doesn’t mean it’s a finished product or anything, or can’t be improved, same for his post game.

I’m not just basing it on that, I’m basing it on other performances and coaches opinions, he’s not some dominant back to the basket guy either. Offensively his 3pt shooting is his biggest strength, doesn’t mean it’s a finished product or anything, or can’t be improved, same for his post game.
I'm not even talking about your opinion of what his best attribute is.

I'm talking about the fact that you've mentioned the 35% stat multiple times, and in the post I quoted, you referred to him as "a guy coming in shooting 35%+ from 3" as if to pass it off that he has a consistent history as a 35% shooter from behind the arc, which is why I mentioned it. You know good and well if Dallas tried to pass off Mikey Williams as a 35% 3-pt shooter based on a 6-gm sample size, you'd burn him down and piss on the ashes. It just seems like a curious case of you using a potential outlier stat when you'd never permit someone else to pass that off as a predictive indicator in a debate.

I'm not even talking about your opinion of what his best attribute is.

I'm talking about the fact that you've mentioned the 35% stat multiple times, and in the post I quoted, you referred to him as "a guy coming in shooting 35%+ from 3" as if to pass it off that he has a consistent history as a 35% shooter from behind the arc, which is why I mentioned it. You know good and well if Dallas tried to pass off Mikey Williams as a 35% 3-pt shooter based on a 6-gm sample size, you'd burn him down and piss on the ashes. It just seems like a curious case of you using a potential outlier stat when you'd never permit someone else to pass that off as a predictive indicator in a debate.
Definitely a difference between a 35% 3pt shooting guard and guy who’s 6’11”+, but ok man.

Definitely a difference between a 35% 3pt shooting guard and guy who’s 6’11”+, but ok man.
That's just deflection. Make it Shawn Bradley instead of Mikey Williams if that removes the temptation for you to attack the irrelevant specifics.

Again, JPE is a good shooter, despite his height. No one is arguing otherwise.

The current issue is a level of hypocrisy in using that small sample size to generate a supporting narrative to your argument when you know you'd never accept it as proof from anyone else. Just admit it.

That's just deflection. Make it Shawn Bradley instead of Mikey Williams if that removes the temptation for you to attack the irrelevant specifics.

Again, JPE is a good shooter, despite his height. No one is arguing otherwise.

The current issue is a level of hypocrisy in using that small sample size to generate a supporting narrative to your argument when you know you'd never accept it as proof from anyone else. Just admit it.
That was a sample size from a recent article, my understanding is that he shot similarly his junior year as well, so yes imo that’s a good shooter for a big. If you have stats that suggest otherwise or a bigger sample size then by all means share it my guy.

I was basing that off BTO‘s link where the analyst said “the shot will need to speed up a bit”. That said, I didn’t say he had a slow release, but “if“ he does. What the analyst said makes me think at the very least he will need to work on the speed of his release for the college game. And the height will help, as I mentioned, but I’ve seen guys his size get swatted plenty of times.

VN Store

Back