‘22 TN C Handje Tamba

Tamba doesn't seem to have a great vertical, which is why a lot of you guys say he doesn't seem to be very athletic. That's fair enough, but he does seem to be pretty fast for his size. Looks to have decent hands at this stage, also seems to have some amount of BBIQ, as I saw him consistently seal off opponents, keep his hands up on defense, which is more than some can say. He clearly needs to add strength, but what 16-17 year old doesn't. He has a really good wingspan it looks like, so that's also nice to have. He can dribble the ball reasonable well for someone his size, I'll link the video at the timestamp. Those two plays in a row are fairly impressive for a 6'11" guy. He certainly has upside.

Reactions: Special Ed
I guess I have trouble in understanding the idea that you see potential in Uros, who, at 22 years old, still hasn't shown much of anything, but can't find anything to like about an 18-yr old Tamba. And that isn't me banging the table for Tamba. Just saying that while you're welcome to your opinion on either guy, the two ideas don't seem to equate. Just by the odds, it would seem Tamba has significantly more upside and untapped potential while Uros seems to be what he is, at this point.
In his very limited minutes this season i thought he looked improved over last season such that I was encouraged he might become a minor contributor. Uros is already in the boat and we’re discussing whether to invite Tamba in. With hindsight on the nearly 2 season sample size I wouldn’t be in favor of inviting Uros on board if we could turn back the clock. I’m not typically interested in signing guys who’s ceiling is to become a minor role player in their 3rd or 4th years but most prospects are an unknown until they show up and produce.

In his very limited minutes this season i thought he looked improved over last season such that I was encouraged he might become a minor contributor. Uros is already in the boat and we’re discussing whether to invite Tamba in. With hindsight on the nearly 2 season sample size I wouldn’t be in favor of inviting Uros on board if we could turn back the clock. I’m not typically interested in signing guys who’s ceiling is to become a minor role player in their 3rd or 4th years but most prospects are an unknown until they show up and produce.
I guess that's fair and I think the universal opinion would be to pass on him if hindsight were 20/20. But I just don't know what you have seen this year to believe Uros improved much, at all. He's only played 39 minutes across 24 games, half or more of which have been garbage-time minutes. His best games as a Vol came in his first season and he has done nothing this year, on the court, to show the slightest bit of improvement, fair or not. Deciding whether he has improved, based on anything we've seen this year is generally inequitable. We just haven't seen enough of him to make a fair and accurate assessment. That alone is pretty damning evidence, though, given our current situation in the post.

Knowing what we know, or perhaps don't know about either kid, right now, if I had to pick one to move forward with, it would be the kid with the higher upside, and I think that is pretty clearly, Tamba.

Reactions: therickbol
Tamba doesn't seem to have a great vertical, which is why a lot of you guys say he doesn't seem to be very athletic. That's fair enough, but he does seem to be pretty fast for his size. Looks to have decent hands at this stage, also seems to have some amount of BBIQ, as I saw him consistently seal off opponents, keep his hands up on defense, which is more than some can say. He clearly needs to add strength, but what 16-17 year old doesn't. He has a really good wingspan it looks like, so that's also nice to have. He can dribble the ball reasonable well for someone his size, I'll link the video at the timestamp. Those two plays in a row are fairly impressive for a 6'11" guy. He certainly has upside.
I am encouraged after looking at the tape. He has potential and with time in a S&C program and some aggressive coaching ghouls be a SEC player. He can run the floor, knows how to block out, uses the board well, has goo hands, and seem to have active hands. I think he will be better than any of the bi guys we have coming back, but it will take a couple of years before he matures into a player who can consistently contribute.When he is a Junior, I would rather have him with us instead of having to play against him.

I’m going on the side of I just don’t see it. Whether he’s 6’-9 or 7’-0, if he can’t impact a high school game by more than 6 points a game then it’s hard to picture him doing much at UT. JMO and I hope I’m completely wrong
Any 6’9+ center that isn’t dunking at will in HS likely isn’t going to pan out in SEC basketball. JMO

I understand what u are saying, but next year will be Uros 3rd year under Barnes and he seems eager to learn, be a good teammate and actually flashed for one game. If it clicks for Plavsic, we should know early, next year. So, what I'm really saying is I'm giving Uros the OOC games, next year, before I give up on him
I think I'd be more agreeable to that if Uros were a typical 19 or 20 year old sophomore, but he is a 22 year old RS SO who still can't see the floor. I don't see that changing much, though not entirely impossible. He is bigger and older than almost everyone he competes against, and still can't break through. That's a concern for me. If Uros moves on, and we can sign Tamba, I think it is an opportunity to reset that clock or potential and opportunity. Tamba is an unknown, moldable piece while Uros sort of is who he is at the stage, I'm afraid.

I guess that's fair and I think the universal opinion would be to pass on him if hindsight were 20/20. But I just don't know what you have seen this year to believe Uros improved much, at all. He's only played 39 minutes across 24 games, half or more of which have been garbage-time minutes. His best games as a Vol came in his first season and he has done nothing this year, on the court, to show the slightest bit of improvement, fair or not. Deciding whether he has improved, based on anything we've seen this year is generally inequitable. We just haven't seen enough of him to make a fair and accurate assessment. That alone is pretty damning evidence, though, given our current situation in the post.

Knowing what we know, or perhaps don't know about either kid, right now, if I had to pick one to move forward with, it would be the kid with the higher upside, and I think that is pretty clearly, Tamba.
I agree there is no statistical evidence of improvement for Uros this season and I don’t have high hopes for him in the future mostly due to the age factor that you mentioned before. My impression (which isn’t worth much) was Uros seemed to have a better understanding of how to play within the CRB system whereas last year he was completely lost. Again, I’m thinking there’s a possibility he could become a 10-15 minute backup at best which would still be considered a miss for a 4th year player who’s not been injured.

As for Tamba, I just think there has to be much better prospects (even projects) that UT could sign. Catholic isn’t playing an IMG type schedule so he’s playing many nights against guys 8-10 inches shorter yet he has anemic production which is a huge question mark IMHO

I agree there is no statistical evidence of improvement for Uros this season and I don’t have high hopes for him in the future mostly due to the age factor that you mentioned before. My impression (which isn’t worth much) was Uros seemed to have a better understanding of how to play within the CRB system whereas last year he was completely lost. Again, I’m thinking there’s a possibility he could become a 10-15 minute backup at best which would still be considered a miss for a 4th year player who’s not been injured.

As for Tamba, I just think there has to be much better prospects (even projects) that UT could sign. Catholic isn’t playing an IMG type schedule so he’s playing many nights against guys 8-10 inches shorter yet he has anemic production which is a huge question mark IMHO
The production is a concern, but without having seen Catholic play, I guess it's only fair to ask what their offensive philosophy is, and how much is Tamba being featured offensively? In everything I've seen, he has incredible touch around the basket, which is something our current bigs lack. He dunks a lot more than he is credited with by some people here. He doesn't have an elite vertical jump, but at 6-10+, he doesn't need a ton of lift, and that is a developmental ability in a college strength and conditioning program. He seems good at blocking and affecting shot attempts, as well. And he moves well.

Again, I'm not suggesting signing him and expecting immediate returns. I just think a Kyle Alexander type career arc is within the realm of possibility for him, and if Uros leaves, I'm fine taking on a kid with that kind of ceiling in year 3 and 4.

The production is a concern, but without having seen Catholic play, I guess it's only fair to ask what their offensive philosophy is, and how much is Tamba being featured offensively? In everything I've seen, he has incredible touch around the basket, which is something our current bigs lack. He dunks a lot more than he is credited with by some people here. He doesn't have an elite vertical jump, but at 6-10+, he doesn't need a ton of lift, and that is a developmental ability in a college strength and conditioning program. He seems good at blocking and affecting shot attempts, as well. And he moves well.

Again, I'm not suggesting signing him and expecting immediate returns. I just think a Kyle Alexander type career arc is within the realm of possibility for him, and if Uros leaves, I'm fine taking on a kid with that kind of ceiling in year 3 and 4.
Agree 100%. If Uros leaves, he would be a perfect replacement for him with more room to develop and a lot younger considering if he reclassifies. Definite take in my opinion if Uros leaves

Reactions: cncchris33
Yeah, all we had to do was rag on him a little and then of course, an unexpected big-time game where he gets serious, important minutes. Go figure.
And he’s playing again today which I would have thought it was a bad matchup for him? You think maybe the light could be starting to come on for him just a bit?

Reactions: Smokymtnbullet
Good game. They got the breaks in the second half, but maybe we did in the first. Yeah, the refs played their part too.

Reactions: VOLED
Like I said, if it's either/or, I would rather keep Plavsic than take a project like Tamba, jmo
I disagree. This is Plavsic’s 4th year in college basketball and still he still has not been able to see the court except for injuries to our other bigs. Tamba can catch the ball, hit layups, use the board for close up shots, dribble the ball and pass the ball, He is still in high school and will get bigger, stronger, faster, and learn a lot of basketball from any good college coach.

Reactions: The Dog
I disagree. This is Plavsic’s 4th year in college basketball and still he still has not been able to see the court except for injuries to our other bigs. Tamba can catch the ball, hit layups, use the board for close up shots, dribble the ball and pass the ball, He is still in high school and will get bigger, stronger, faster, and learn a lot of basketball from any good college coach.
All I'm saying, if it's an either/or situation, I prefer Plavsic, if not, I'm all for Tamba joining the team

And he’s playing again today which I would have thought it was a bad matchup for him? You think maybe the light could be starting to come on for him just a bit?
I'd have thought his presence yesterday was simply a result of Fulk being out, but he held his own, again. Wasn't a difference maker, but didn't embarrass himself, either, and played ahead of Anosike and Pember, which hadn't been the case. I wonder if Barnes saw how effective he was helping on the switches to Tre Mann and thought he could have similar effect on Bama's quick guards?

Reactions: i2amavol
I’m going on the side of I just don’t see it. Whether he’s 6’-9 or 7’-0, if he can’t impact a high school game by more than 6 points a game then it’s hard to picture him doing much at UT. JMO and I hope I’m completely wrong
No one is expecting him to be a double digit scorer. He doesn’t have to be

I'd have thought his presence yesterday was simply a result of Fulk being out, but he held his own, again. Wasn't a difference maker, but didn't embarrass himself, either, and played ahead of Anosike and Pember, which hadn't been the case. I wonder if Barnes saw how effective he was helping on the switches to Tre Mann and thought he could have similar effect on Bama's quick guards?

I thought it was the best he has played all year. He looked confident and made some contributions.

Reactions: walkenvol
I could bump the Grant Williams recruitment thread which is chock full of cold takes from you.

Go ahead. I'm not running from it. I've admitted I was wrong. I'll be wrong again.

Who cares. Am I supposed to be upset? 😆
It's a message board

I could easily pull up threads on Pember, Gaines, or EJ and quote posts on how good they are.....

Reactions: allvolrecruiting

VN Store

Back