‘22 TN C Handje Tamba

Go ahead. I'm not running from it. I've admitted I was wrong. I'll be wrong again.

Who cares. Am I supposed to be upset? 😆
It's a message board

I could easily pull up threads on Pember, Gaines, or EJ and quote posts on how good they are.....
Goes to show how unpredictable recruiting is especially EJ. I would have never thought with his production at Sacred Heart that he would have been such a flop here

Reactions: vols 30
Goes to show how unpredictable recruiting is especially EJ. I would have never thought with his production at Sacred Heart that he would have been such a flop here
I never thought he’d be a big scorer here but his calling card at SH was rebounding. That’s the part of his game that I’m most surprised to see not translate to this level.

Last edited:
Reactions: walkenvol and VOLED
Same here, especially considering what his specialty was (rebounding). That is usually a translatable trait across competition levels. And he looks much less athletic and nimble that in his Sacred Heart days...it’s the oddest thing.

Reactions: walkenvol
Tamba is intelligent and has only 4 years of bb experience. The kid is a soccer player at heart. Looks to me like a perfect fit with Barnes. Barnes has a history developing under the radar post platers.

Reactions: TrumpedUpVol
I think I'd be more agreeable to that if Uros were a typical 19 or 20 year old sophomore, but he is a 22 year old RS SO who still can't see the floor. I don't see that changing much, though not entirely impossible. He is bigger and older than almost everyone he competes against, and still can't break through. That's a concern for me. If Uros moves on, and we can sign Tamba, I think it is an opportunity to reset that clock or potential and opportunity. Tamba is an unknown, moldable piece while Uros sort of is who he is at the stage, I'm afraid.
I think you’re putting too much emphasis on the age thing, as he wasn’t privy to the high caliber AAU factor, nor the Oak Hill factor, so to speak. His opportunities to development were limited compared to USA-born athletes. I think we’re starting to see some progress, but I defer to you and respect your opinions.

Tamba is intelligent and has only 4 years of bb experience. The kid is a soccer player at heart. Looks to me like a perfect fit with Barnes. Barnes has a history developing under the radar post platers.

I get playing a sport about which you're passionate, but surely any doctor in Handje's life from the age of eight onward should have been able to point out that he'd grow up to be over a foot taller than the average soccer player.

I think you’re putting too much emphasis on the age thing, as he wasn’t privy to the high caliber AAU factor, nor the Oak Hill factor, so to speak. His opportunities to development were limited compared to USA-born athletes. I think we’re starting to see some progress, but I defer to you and respect your opinions.
I’m more referring to the physical maturity of an 18-year old and a 22-year old, but to your point, there is a reason the NBA cherishes young untapped potential versus older guys who have sort of revealed their limitations and proven what they are and what they aren’t. It’s why Keon Johnson will be a lottery pick and why Luke Garza may do well do get drafted in the top 50.

I’m more referring to the physical maturity of an 18-year old and a 22-year old, but to your point, there is a reason the NBA cherishes young untapped potential versus older guys who have sort of revealed their limitations and proven what they are and what they aren’t. It’s why Keon Johnson will be a lottery pick and why Luke Garza may do well do get drafted in the top 50.
I would be surprised if Garza didn’t go Top 50. However, I admit I know very little about the mindset of the NBA hierarchy when it comes to the draft.

The reason I said a soccer player at heart was during down time during BB practice he would use his feet to bounce the bb on to his knee head etc. I think he was a soccer player before he ever picked up a BB.

Reactions: allvolrecruiting
Same here, especially considering what his specialty was (rebounding). That is usually a translatable trait across competition levels. And he looks much less athletic and nimble that in his Sacred Heart days...it’s the oddest thing.

Way better party scene at UT has him less focused on basketball? I'm mostly kidding/speculating...mostly.

Marques Bragg 10 ppg; Grant Williams. 15 ppg; Jordan Hamilton 15 ppg; Marty Conlon 15ppg; Lamarcus Aldridge 14 ppg & 8 rbs; Kenny Sanders 22 ppg & 9 rbs; Michael Smith 12 ppg & 10 rbs; Chris Mihn 15ppg & 10 rbs; and for one year Kevin Durant 26 ppg & 11rbs.

Reactions: allvolrecruiting
Just like Gaines and Pember, taking Tamba will be a mistake by Barnes. I'd rather take the undersized Jayden Gardner transfer
If its Tamba and no grad transfer or Gardner and no Tamba, I'd agree, they should take Gardner. But if they can land Tamba and still get a solid transfer big thats not Gardner, I'm not gonna be mad at it

Idk if this has already been posted, but I have a family friend who's close to Tamba's family who said that he is 100% reclassifying and already verbally committed to UT. Just waiting to announce. Seems like a very smart kid and hope with some more experience under his belt he can ball out here.

#ClosetoHandje

Reactions: wisvol22
If its Tamba and no grad transfer or Gardner and no Tamba, I'd agree, they should take Gardner. But if they can land Tamba and still get a solid transfer big thats not Gardner, I'm not gonna be mad at it
Fair enough. Gardner just reminds me a bit of Grant

Fair enough. Gardner just reminds me a bit of Grant
I can kinda see it. I think Grant had better post moves but Gardner is a little better taking it at the top of the key and driving in I'd see. Where Grant really separates himself is he was a really good distributor out of the post. I havent watched enough of Gardner's game to say he can't have that skill, but he has had a assist to turnover ratio well below 1 all three years he's been in school

I was hoping he’d be similar to Jeronne Maymon but no signs of that so far.
I've seen this different places and it always takes me aback. Jeronne Maymon with knees was a great college basketball player. Jeronne Maymon with shot knees was better than any of our posts in the last two years.

Just like Gaines and Pember, taking Tamba will be a mistake by Barnes. I'd rather take the undersized Jayden Gardner transfer
Let’s see how we close the class, with 15 scholarships you aren’t going to have 15 contributors, so it’s a good year to take a flyer on a guy or 2 to redshirt and see if maybe you found something there. We’ve landed Powell, if we land another impact transfer along with landing BHH we are sitting with quite a few impact players on the roster.

I've seen this different places and it always takes me aback. Jeronne Maymon with knees was a great college basketball player. Jeronne Maymon with shot knees was better than any of our posts in the last two years.
Fulk two years ago was pretty dang good compared to injured knees Maymon, but I agree with last year’s team. Maymon with good knees was amazing

Reactions: aWhiteLoftonChism

VN Store

Back