‘22 TN C Handje Tamba

Aidoo was a consensus Top 50 player in his class. How, by any definition, would that be considered a project?
"Project" is a subjective term, I suppose, but the top-50 label is most likely reflective of his potential. He isn't close to his potential, right now.

"Project" is a subjective term, I suppose, but the top-50 label is most likely reflective of his potential. He isn't close to his potential, right now.
In general fans overhype freshman, unless you’re Top 10-15 player coming in you’re more likely to not be a major contributor in year 1 if you’re on a good team.

I’m not saying I expect him so be a major contributor right away, but I think it’s a little bit weird to group Tamba and Aidoo into the same group. They’re not the same type of prospects, IMO.

Reactions: walkenvol
I was curious so I went back and looked at some early 70's rosters. 1972-73 Tennessee Volunteers Roster and Stats | College Basketball at Sports-Reference.com .The biggest I found was 72-73 and they had 3 over 6'9 with Kosmalski as the 7 footer. No mention of Longshore on any of the rosters I saw but he may not have been around long enough as you mentioned. That 72-73 team did have some length at the guard positions as well especially compared to other teams from that same era but overall not really close to the length on this years team.

It might have been between seasons and included signees. Longshore never played. I think that the 4th could be Rupert Breedlove from Austin-East. He also moved on before ever playing. I just remember being a kid and thinking that we could have 5 seven footers on the floor at the same time.

Found Longshore mentioned in a 1969-70 Lasalle pre-season publication. Bobby Croft was 6-10 as was GL. Maybe those 2, Rupert, plus Kosmalski if he was on the freshman team (I don’t know if he was at TN as a freshman though). History is really sketchy just 50 years ago and Dave Hart put a lot of it in dumpsters when they tore down Stokely.

5AE7B782-0E02-4859-A761-755119894C7F.png

Reactions: LeannaVol
Yea I didn’t think he was gonna come in and be major factor Day 1 and be a one and done All-American named the giraffe like Dog was predicting lol…I figured 10-15 minutes a game was probably fair, and I still think that.

Fwiw Rob was asked about Basilio’s comments and (paraphrasing) he said that the staff is very high on Aidoo and he’s what they expected, they knew he needed some work. They said Aidoo also knows he has a lot of work to do but that both parties are on the same page about that and very excited for his future. Also said that that is probably a good thing for the program in the future, having him around for a couple years at least.
Aidoo’s mother is a very vocal supporter in Barnes and how he will develop her son. She seems to be all in and wants the best for her son. She believes Barnes is the best.

I’m not saying I expect him so be a major contributor right away, but I think it’s a little bit weird to group Tamba and Aidoo into the same group. They’re not the same type of prospects, IMO.
I agree. Like I said, “Project” is being used subjectively. Both are projects, in some sense of the word. Both need to have their talent and ability coaxed out of them thru coaching and development, but Aidoo clearly has a higher ceiling and potential. The talent level isn’t nearly the same.

Reactions: zjcvols
Aidoo’s mother is a very vocal supporter in Barnes and how he will develop her son. She seems to be all in and wants the best for her son. She believes Barnes is the best.
I agree. Like I said, “Project” is being used subjectively. Both are projects, in some sense of the word. Both need to have their talent and ability coaxed out of them thru coaching and development, but Aidoo clearly has a higher ceiling and potential. The talent level isn’t nearly the same.

They are very happy with aidoo from what I have heard. Maybe not a huge contributor early but staff likes him. Good attitude, good effort, good fit with the culture , tons of upside.

Fulky gets his cast off in next week or so, maybe this week.
The staff likes Jonas a lot. Don’t know that he’ll do a lot early but can say with confidence they like what they have with him looking towards the future.

Probably best for the program if he needs a couple of years IMO.

Nobody ever said he had a lot of ‘back to the basket game’. His ranking IMO was always based on talent and potential.

Think he’s probably in a good place to realize that potential and i think he’s pretty self aware about it.
-VQ

Both were “major contributors” and yes we were a good but not great team
Big difference between the Top 20 composite rank for Springer & Johnson and then 37 for Aidoo, but you already knew that…and according to many we weren’t a good team at all, so…

I didn’t think you’d nitpick 17&19 verse Top 15, but ok…again, point being, big difference in what is likely to be contributed from a Top 15-20 player and a Top 50 player…fact check if you’d like.

Big difference between the Top 20 composite rank for Springer & Johnson and then 37 for Aidoo, but you already knew that…and according to many we weren’t a good team at all, so…

I didn’t think you’d nitpick 17&19 verse Top 15, but ok…again, point being, big difference in what is likely to be contributed from a Top 15-20 player and a Top 50 player…fact check if you’d like.
You love to say folks keep moving the goalposts in your back and forths - seems like your fond of the same

Reactions: sportsnut624
Does seem odd since UT already has a similar "project" in this class with Aidoo. Thought the plan was to let him play at Catholic this year and see how he progressed? Maybe some other programs were turning up the heat on him and forced UT's hand?

Maybe the decision was made that he could better benefit from having our training table and facilities to get bigger faster and he could get better experience being basically a scout team player this year than against high school competition. Still gets 5 years to play 4. But believe that coach thinks he has a high ceiling that could be reached faster this way. With all the new faces live court time will be hard to come by and not necessary or preferred for all of them. zero minutes next year as a plan would not surprise me.

Aidoo was a consensus Top 50 player in his class. How, by any definition, would that be considered a project?
I view post players in basketball much the same way I do offensive linemen in football. They need time to grow, mature and flesh out to play those positions. Sometimes they work out...sometimes not.

Rob Lewis on Tony Basilio’s comments…

That is not remotely accurate, as I said in another thread.

Tennessee started working with Tamba to graduate early and reclassify last year. This is a stone cold fact. The idea that his situation is in any way, shape or form related to Aidoo is patently and 100% false and needs to be nipped in the bud as being completely baseless.

It’s weird cause I was under the impression Tony B got a lot of his info from here, this board. Seems like he’d have known about Tamba

That guy is still on the air? Geez.
As long as his (mostly negavol) listeners keep giving him money to tell them what they want to hear as opposed to the truth, why hang it up? He profits off of chaos. It’s why he actively tries to turn fans against every coach and administrator. He was the one pushing the lie that Barnes wasn’t trying in recruiting just because we weren’t getting 5 stars the first few years.

As long as his (mostly negavol) listeners keep giving him money to tell them what they want to hear as opposed to the truth, why hang it up? He profits off of chaos. It’s why he actively tries to turn fans against every coach and administrator. He was the one pushing the lie that Barnes wasn’t trying in recruiting just because we weren’t getting 5 stars the first few years.
He is annoying, certainly. And his repetitive 12-15 callers are annoying. He is, as you said, a chaos whore who thrives amidst turmoil, gossip, and innuendo.

His only saving grace, and the only reason I listen, is that he isn't canned media like the Sports Animal. He isn't afraid to challenge/question the establishment, and that I respect. Aside from that, it is remarkable that he has managed to make a 30-ish year career in the same market with no formal backing or station loyalty.

Reactions: AngryButchJones
A lot of criticism AND defending for a guy that’s still four months away from playing his first college ball.

My expectation is if we get a consensus 5* or let’s say top 50 guy, I’m thinking at minimum all-conference TALENT. Now, some guys do well and don’t make all conference and leave after one year. For example Keon and Jaden, I thought they both showed their talent and played like 5* type talent this year.

I look at guys like JP Prince (transfer), Robert Hubbs, and Josiah Jordan-James. Are those 5* talents? No they were overrated coming out of high school. Now they were (and are) useful and solid players for the program. I wouldn’t even put a bust label on them. But they aren’t 5*

This year for Aidoo, I just need 10 mpg of energy and defense, grab some boards…get a putback dunk or two and show some natural talent

A lot of criticism AND defending for a guy that’s still four months away from playing his first college ball.

My expectation is if we get a consensus 5* or let’s say top 50 guy, I’m thinking at minimum all-conference TALENT. Now, some guys do well and don’t make all conference and leave after one year. For example Keon and Jaden, I thought they both showed their talent and played like 5* type talent this year.

I look at guys like JP Prince (transfer), Robert Hubbs, and Josiah Jordan-James. Are those 5* talents? No they were overrated coming out of high school. Now they were (and are) useful and solid players for the program. I wouldn’t even put a bust label on them. But they aren’t 5*

This year for Aidoo, I just need 10 mpg of energy and defense, grab some boards…get a putback dunk or two and show some natural talent
Facts

Basilio is now blathering about Barnes getting a raise but hasn’t won an NCAAT game in 24 months. He’ll be promoting that garbage commentary for the next eight months. Same as CRB hadn’t signed a 4 star for a thousand or whatever number of days and was mailing it in with the recruiting. That narrative didn’t work out too well for that clown and he looks like a fool for repeating it hundreds of times.

I’ll never forget that he was doing remote broadcasts from Pilot stores EVERY Friday. When that was discontinued he turned on the Haslam family and has been criticizing them non-stop ever since. They bought tens of thousands of dollars of advertising from him and he turned on them. Any current advertiser should make note of how he operates.

VN Store

Back