‘22 TN C Handje Tamba

I’m baffled as to how a guy who has averaged 6.6 points in his high school career could warrant a scholarship to Tennessee. Do we not have enough projects on board all ready?!?! 🤦🏼‍♂️🤦🏼‍♂️🤦🏼‍♂️
It seems to me with the relaxed rules for players transferring, a top tier basketball school, and I think Tennessee should consider itself a top tier school, doesn't need to take on very many projects that need a few years to develop and take up scholarships. Recruit the best and fill in with some guys that have proven themselves at a lower level or are looking for a change of scenery. Maybe take a project that you see big upside for but otherwise take advantage of the mid major pipeline and get their best players. Barnes has recruited some top talent for sure but if you look down at the end of the roster I think it is fair to say he has some guys that don't look like SEC contributors.

It seems to me with the relaxed rules for players transferring, a top tier basketball school, and I think Tennessee should consider itself a top tier school, doesn't need to take on very many projects that need a few years to develop and take up scholarships. Recruit the best and fill in with some guys that have proven themselves at a lower level or are looking for a change of scenery. Maybe take a project that you see big upside for but otherwise take advantage of the mid major pipeline and get their best players. Barnes has recruited some top talent for sure but if you look down at the end of the roster I think it is fair to say he has some guys that don't look like SEC contributors.

While transfers are becoming more available these days, you can't rely on mid major transfers for consistent contributions. At least at UT, guys like Anosike, James Daniel, Lew Evans, John Fields (under Pearl) were all mid-major transfers that were nothing more than just small role players. Antonio Barton may have been the best, but he came from Memphis.

There are a few mid major transfers at SEC schools that are contributing this year, but most are guards. Bruner is playing well at Bama, but I don't think bigs translate as well to the P5 level. I agree that Barnes has missed on some players, but he's also recruited at a higher level than UT historically does. He just needs to find guys that can contribute 10-15 minutes and 6-8 ppg. Getting nothing out of most of your bench doesn't help.

This is pretty true for just about any P5 school that has 13 scholarships filled...look at the end of bench for other SEC teams, you will find a lot of non-contributors, I don’t think that’s just a Barnes thing.

This is pretty true for just about any P5 school that has 13 scholarships filled...look at the end of bench for other SEC teams, you will find a lot of non-contributors, I don’t think that’s just a Barnes thing.
I’m amazed that anyone would think a team like Tennessee is ever likely to be stacked to the gills with top-100 talent 1-13 on the roster. There are only a handful of teams that can say that and we just aren’t ever going to be one. And that’s fine. You don’t play with 13 guys. You just need to hit on more than you miss.

Reactions: aWhiteLoftonChism
I’m amazed that anyone would think a team like Tennessee is ever likely to be stacked to the gills with top-100 talent 1-13 on the roster. There are only a handful of teams that can say that and we just aren’t ever going to be one. And that’s fine. You don’t play with 13 guys. You just need to hit on more than you miss.

Coach K does it every year. He has about 7 guys that play. His bench players just keep it warm.

I’m going on the side of I just don’t see it. Whether he’s 6’-9 or 7’-0, if he can’t impact a high school game by more than 6 points a game then it’s hard to picture him doing much at UT. JMO and I hope I’m completely wrong

You are probably right. The "you're not allowed to criticize RB" posters will tell you this kid will play like Patrick Ewing by his junior year.

I see some potential in Uros to become a contributor, but we will see.
I think Uros may be able to give UT a sold 10-12 minutes, in the next couple of years, with a game like Miss. St, a year ago, once or twice a year. Well, that's the best case scenario, imo

Reactions: walkenvol
I see some potential in Uros to become a contributor, but we will see.
I guess I have trouble in understanding the idea that you see potential in Uros, who, at 22 years old, still hasn't shown much of anything, but can't find anything to like about an 18-yr old Tamba. And that isn't me banging the table for Tamba. Just saying that while you're welcome to your opinion on either guy, the two ideas don't seem to equate. Just by the odds, it would seem Tamba has significantly more upside and untapped potential while Uros seems to be what he is, at this point.

Reactions: zjcvols and Vol49er
I guess I have trouble in understanding the idea that you see potential in Uros, who, at 22 years old, still hasn't shown much of anything, but can't find anything to like about an 18-yr old Tamba. And that isn't me banging the table for Tamba. Just saying that while you're welcome to your opinion on either guy, the two ideas don't seem to equate. Just by the odds, it would seem Tamba has significantly more upside and untapped potential while Uros seems to be what he is, at this point.
I understand what u are saying, but next year will be Uros 3rd year under Barnes and he seems eager to learn, be a good teammate and actually flashed for one game. If it clicks for Plavsic, we should know early, next year. So, what I'm really saying is I'm giving Uros the OOC games, next year, before I give up on him

VN Store

Back