WASH OG Nate Kalepo

I hate to say it, but if we NEED the portal to fill holes on the OL in year 5, Elarbee hasn’t done a good job. Especially considering that the hole being discussed is not the result of injuries or portal entries. Right now, to me, it looks like we’d be pretty screwed without the portal. Who would be our projected starters for 2024 if it weren’t for getting Campbell, Karic, and Heard from the portal? It’s be Umarov, Lampley, and Davis and Elarbee would be getting roasted by Vol fans and local media.
It’s so simple. Everyone is doing it. Thankful we have a coach that gets the most out of what he has and is getting better talent every year.

I hate to say it, but if we NEED the portal to fill holes on the OL in year 5, Elarbee hasn’t done a good job. Especially considering that the hole being discussed is not the result of injuries or portal entries. Right now, to me, it looks like we’d be pretty screwed without the portal. Who would be our projected starters for 2024 if it weren’t for getting Campbell, Karic, and Heard from the portal? It’s be Umarov, Lampley, and Davis and Elarbee would be getting roasted by Vol fans and local media.
Well fortunately it's 2024 and not 1994. And using the current system for talent acquisition....I think we've done a pretty good job all things considered.

It’s so simple. Everyone is doing it. Thankful we have a coach that gets the most out of what he has and is getting better talent every year.
And despite his earlier assertions, NO OL COACH outrecruits the level of his program! Not even the hallowed Sam Pittman! If your program is considered questionable or wobbly, the highly rated big uglies with options will graze elsewhere. We glimpsed that dynamic this recruiting class without the NCAA hanging over our head and Ellarbee has masterfully developed what’s available. You have more 4 and 5 star level players on the roster, you get the success stories that following prospects will consider in their recruitment and the Addison Nichols prove to be the outliers.

Well fortunately it's 2024 and not 1994. And using the current system for talent acquisition....I think we've done a pretty good job all things considered.
I agree. He arrived when we were coming off a 3-7 season, and in year 4, making the playoffs is the expectation. Get 1/3 of Oklahoma, Bama, Georgia, and we’re in. I think we get 2/3.

I agree. He arrived when we were coming off a 3-7 season, and in year 4, making the playoffs is the expectation. Get 1/3 of Oklahoma, Bama, Georgia, and we’re in. I think we get 2/3.
Yeah and he has proven to be an elite developer and he is landing elite portal guys and now landing blue chippers out of high school.

People with some INSANE takes.

We also added Thomas, The Safety from MTSU. Guess it depends on who becomes available.
Even with Thomas, we’re thin at Safety. Thomas and Turrentine are the only two with experience. Slaughter was a redshirt. Maybe Boo Carter can make an impact.

I guess you can count Christian Charles, but he’s always hurt and his experience is at CB.

Reactions: Smokey19rt
I think it's certainly possible. Two of those being away games... Makes that ou game in September important. Bama won't be easy but it's as gettable as it's been in 20 years... And it's in Knoxville.

I think there's a good chance at least 5 sec teams make the first 12 team playoff. Conference is gonna be pretty deep. Missouri and ole miss have easy schedules and neither will suck. UGA is gonna get in.

Then there's Texas, OU, us, LSU, aTm... Bama...All with designs on getting in as well.

Our schedule isn't Missouri/ole miss easy... But there's certainly a path.

Yeah and he has proven to be an elite developer and he is landing elite portal guys and now landing blue chippers out of high school.

People with some INSANE takes.
Yup. The thing people really don't talk about is that the need for ol from the portal isn't because of lack of talent... It's because we need to buy a little time so these last two classes of ol can continue to develop. There's talent and depth in these two classes.

Just young. And if we can get to the point we don't HAVE start freshmen/RS Freshmen because of lack of options... That sets up a more sustainable future at the position.

Yup. The thing people really don't talk about is that the need for ol from the portal isn't because of lack of talent... It's because we need to buy a little time so these last two classes of ol can continue to develop. There's talent and depth in these two classes.

Just young. And if we can get to the point we don't HAVE start freshmen/RS Freshmen because of lack of options... That sets up a more sustainable future at the position.
This.

We’ve done very well in the portal. Just saying it would be nice to also benefit from HS recruiting and player development.

Do you (and anyone else who didn’t like my previous post) disagree with that?

Reactions: allvolrecruiting
We’ve done very well in the portal. Just saying it would be nice to also benefit from HS recruiting and player development.

Do you (and anyone else who didn’t like my previous post) disagree with that?
The portal is gonna allow the ol from these last two classes to develop. That's the point. These last two classes will add talent and depth. They're just young, and getting older guys from there portal let's them develop vs having to play freshmen/RS Freshmen for lack of other options.

The portal is gonna allow the ol from these last two classes to develop. That's the point. These last two classes will add talent and depth. They're just young, and getting older guys from there portal let's them develop vs having to play freshmen/RS Freshmen for lack of other options.

Wasn’t overnight. Not good enough. Now now now now now or we fire coaches tomorrow

And getting older guys from there portal with multiple years provides quality depth.

It's literally how is supposed to be done.

Couple that with who we were able to retain on the roster... I'd call or roster management so far this off season a pretty big success.

I agree with that, but I still think that if Elarbee is a good OL coach we should not NEED the portal to fill 2-3 holes on the OL in year 5. Will we use the portal? It’d be stupid to rule it out. Just saying by year 5 we should have more than a couple good OL on our roster.

VN Store

Back