Who Is The Best Player You Have Seen In Person?

(For one play), it was defensive lineman Billy Ratliff, who made the most important defensive play in UT history. Arkansas was trying to run out the clock as they held a 24-22 lead at UT. Ratliff pushed back the Arky center and the center backpedaled into Clint Stoerner, the Arky QB, who subsequently stumbled and left the ball on the field as he tried to balance himself upright. Ratliff pounced on the ball and The Volunteers perfect undefeated season was preserved, as the Offense did their job and went ahead and scored. I was in the seats of that miserable weather game and anyone who was there will remember the eerily quietness that fell upon Shields Watkins Field when Stoerner placed the ball on the field. Time stood still, then Billy POUNCED us into a NC.

The idea that Ratliff “pushed” the Arkansas lineman into Stoener is a myth that never dies. Go watch the film. The Ark lineman tripped Stoener before Ratliff ever makes contact with him.

Don’t get me wrong, I count my lucky stars that it happened. But that was a total fluke play that went in our favor, not some outstanding effort by Ratliff. Nothing against Ratliff, he was a great player.

Reactions: Volunteer_Kirby
An oddball game that always sticks out in my mind is the 2011 game with UT and Buffalo. It was the first time I ever sat at field level and I was amazed at the degree in which Da’Rick Rogers and Khalil Mack stuck out amongst all the other players.

The best football player I’ve ever seen in person: Randy Moss (at ETSU)

Best team sport player I’ve ever seen in person: Michael Jordan (in Chicago)

Best athletes I’ve ever seen in person: Cael Sanderson (wrestler) and Michael Johnson (sprinter). I saw Johnson run at the mini dome at ETSU.

Reactions: LittleVol and MAD
The idea that Ratliff “pushed” the Arkansas lineman into Stoener is a myth that never dies. Go watch the film. The Ark lineman tripped Stoener before Ratliff ever makes contact with him.

Don’t get me wrong, I count my lucky stars that it happened. But that was a total fluke play that went in our favor, not some outstanding effort by Ratliff. Nothing against Ratliff, he was a great player.

Check out post #140 on this thread. Looks like Billy is pushing back the center and right guard 8 yards into the backfield. You're suggesting that this is an illusion and or the center tripped himself backwards 8 yards??

I hate to give Bama any credit at all, but Bryce Young May be the best QB I’ve seen at Alabama, and they’ve had a LOT of good ones. We will see what he does in the NFL. Hurts and Tua were fantastic as well, but Bryce made so many plays on his own when the play should’ve been dead in the water. All three of these guys are really good people as well from everything I’ve heard. Gotta give respect where it’s due. I could probably expand my list to 50 or so athletes in different sports and would be hard to pick THE ONE, so my list was purely guys that had played at the pro level.

Reactions: LittleVol and MAD
OK, he's not a UT guy and the sport is not football, so flame if you want.

I was 13 years old playing YMCA basketball here in Huntsville AL. Our coach got a block of tickets to go watch an Alabama Basketball game, and I think we took a bus to Tuscaloosa, (can't remember the transportation).
This was Feb 7th, 1970. Alabama playing LSU. Pete Maravich just torched Alabama that night. His floppy "good luck" socks were on full display. No 3 point line back then and he put up an NCAA record of 69 points, and by golly, I was there.

Article about Pete Maravich Torching Bama

A link to the story above. Pasting a picture from that story below.

View attachment 549557
We probably played against one another in those leagues. Most aren’t aware that before Michael Jordan made 23 famous, all the kids in the south wanted to wear 23 to be like Maravich. I was never good enough to get the top number pick. I always ended up with 22.

Doug Adkins, Hank Lauracella, Johnny Majors, Reggie White, Larry Seivers

Old School! I like it! Only got to see Reggie play in this group, but no doubt this list of guys were tougher than $2 steaks from Bi-Lo!!

Reactions: MAD
We probably played against one another in those leagues. Most aren’t aware that before Michael Jordan made 23 famous, all the kids in the south wanted to wear 23 to be like Maravich. I was never good enough to get the top number pick. I always ended up with 22.
I was somewhat of a bench warmer back then. Our teams probably played each other, but I doubt I did. I ended the season with 2 points. But coach took us for Shoney's milkshakes and hot fudge after each game, so I kept showing up anyway.

Peyton is the best I have ever seen in person.
It was always obvious in games I saw he was the best, after his freshman season.

Johnny Majors... He was a nice guy. I talked to him at an O&W game back in the 80's.

GO VOLS!!!

An oddball game that always sticks out in my mind is the 2011 game with UT and Buffalo. It was the first time I ever sat at field level and I was amazed at the degree in which Da’Rick Rogers and Khalil Mack stuck out amongst all the other players.

The best football player I’ve ever seen in person: Randy Moss (at ETSU)

Best team sport player I’ve ever seen in person: Michael Jordan (in Chicago)

Best athletes I’ve ever seen in person: Cael Sanderson (wrestler) and Michael Johnson (sprinter). I saw Johnson run at the mini dome at ETSU.

I'd have to agree about Randy Moss. Saw him play against ETSU, and his abilities were just off the charts.

Reactions: OHvol40 and MAD
I grew up across the street from Robert James of the Bills.. I caught the bus with his kids and they let me wait in their house if it was raining.. I didn’t know he played football until I got older and made the connection lol..my college roommate had communications classes with Peyton, so it was vicariously experienced lol

Last edited:
I've obviously seen plenty of UT games, and we've had much better players. However, Dennis Rogan absolutely dismantled my high school team back in 06. I'll remember that game forever cause our guys literally could not stop him. My buddy was the kicker and Rogan didn't even bother trying to avoid him on kick returns. He just ran straight over him. I still give him **** about it on occasion.

VN Store

Back