Who Is The Best Player You Have Seen In Person?

I love this stuff @mad4vols …..

It’s fascinating to read the names of greats that we have all seen through the years. We have been very privileged in this regard.

Reactions: VAVol85 and MAD
I have seen two pro hockey games in my life. The first included Wayne Gretzky. He was in his prime . He was playing a different sport than anyone else on the ice.

Reactions: peaygolf and MAD
I saw Maddox, Glavine and Smoltz go against McGwire and the Cardinals. It was the year McGwire hit 70 homers. He went 0 for 11 against the Braves that weekend. Side note: It was a sold our series and my friends and I got in for the standing room only price of $1, all three games

Last edited:
I saw Maddox, Glavine and Smoltz go against McGwire and the Cardinals. It was the year McGwire hit 70 homers. He went 0 for 11 against the Braves that weekend. Side note: It was a sold our series and my friends and I got in for the standing room only price of $1.
Played golf with Smoltz and Mattox. Pretty darn good btw……..

I saw Maddox, Glavine and Smoltz go against McGwire and the Cardinals. It was the year McGwire hit 70 homers. He went 0 for 11 against the Braves that weekend. Side note: It was a sold our series and my friends and I got in for the standing room only price of $1.
Our family was passing through Cincinnati in fall of 1975 and got standing room only tickets to a Reds-Pirates NLCS game. My Dad was totally psyched to see the Big Red Machine vs. Stargell and the Pirates…my Mom after standing for a whole baseball game - not so much. Don Gullet was the winning pitcher and hit a home run. The team rosters read like a who’s who of baseball.

I cannot choose among the great Volunteers and rare opponents I have witnessed on the gridiron. If the question is confined to those whom I have met face to face, I met Stanley Morgan in 1975.

Reactions: MAD
Hard to explain how fast Deion Sanders was. The kick and INT returns got all the highlights, but his recovery speed when receivers came out of their breaks was insane. At FSU, they literally had to make him stop baiting the QBs in practice.

I think I might have to throw Willie Gault in there as well. I mean, the dude made an Olympic team. I met him a few years ago at a golf tournament and I know for a fact who the best 60 year old athlete I’ve ever seen is. I seriously think that guy could line up at WR right now and not embarrass himself.

Michael Jordan was the best player I have ever seen play in person. I know this is in the football forum but he was the best. When he wanted to score there was almost no one who could stop him.
I saw MJ play against the Rockets in '89. The Bulls, much more talented, with Jordan, Pippen, Cartwright, Grant and Paxson vs. Olajuwon and Sleepy Floyd. Jordan looked like he was the only player on the Bulls that was giving any effort. He was screaming at his teammates most of the game trying to get them to play hard. MJ gave it 100% for 45 of 48 minutes, scoring 29. The Bulls lost and Jordan was visibly pi$$ed. I don't think I've ever seen an athlete with that level of intensity and will to win.

Just found "the fumble" by Clint Stoerner at the Arky game 1998. Billy Ratliff to the rescue! Billy pushed the center back 8 friggin yards then pounces on the fumble. OMG!!

FlickeringSevereHart-max-1mb.gif

My first UT football game was in ‘99. I went to at least one game every year for the next 15 years. I haven’t been to one since 2014 though. So from ‘99 to ‘14, the best player I saw live was probably Eric Berry. His best performance that I saw live was probably 2007 vs. South Carolina.

3 way tie. Arnold Palmer, Jack Nicklaus and Tiger Woods. You can keep all the other sports. No tougher game in the world than golf.

Hmmm. Try dodging a hard as a rock hockey puck hurdling at you at 100+ mph while you are on thin metal blades on top of frozen slippery ice with 200lb men smashing into you as you continually skate 360 degrees as fast as you can while carrying a curved wooden stick and having the hand eye coordination to keep the puck from five competitors while trying to find your teammates or an opening in the goal. Hitting a stationary ball sounds an awful lot easier, especially since you don't have to wear 20 lbs of protective gear, a facemask, mouth guard, protective cup, helmet, ice skates and really big gloves. Just sayin......

Reactions: Namorto1
Wayne Gretzky. Given it was the New York Rangers version, but he was still a good player even in the late stages of his career. Arguably the most dominant player in sports history.

Our family was passing through Cincinnati in fall of 1975 and got standing room only tickets to a Reds-Pirates NLCS game. My Dad was totally psyched to see the Big Red Machine vs. Stargell and the Pirates…my Mom after standing for a whole baseball game - not so much. Don Gullet was the winning pitcher and hit a home run. The team rosters read like a who’s who of baseball.

I got to see the Big Red Machine a few times and the We Are Family Pirates a couple.

Reactions: VAVol85 and MAD
Bob Feller: Baseball
Pistol Pete Maravich: basketball....I played against him in HS and saw David Thompson in college
Peyton Manning: Football
That’s awesome, you played against Pistol Pete!!! He was way before my time but my father always told me he was the best ball handler he ever saw.

Well, I was on the same HS team as Joe "Frog" Campbell (MTSU} and Corey Fleming (UT)...

VN Store

Back