'24 MS DL Kamarion Franklin (Ole Miss commit)

Anyone else get bothered by "I need to see that I'm a priority?" I mean, to each their own, that just turns me off personally. Because that turns into "I need to see money or playing time," and the next thing you know, they're in the portal.

Anyone have a different take on that?
I used to think statements like that had a very self centered tone. After knowing some Division 1 athletes and understanding that most coaches are used care salesman, I understand why they say that. Think back to the previous four coaching staffs.

Maybe Garner is not as impressed with this kid as everyone else is? I would certainly trust CRG.

Reactions: VolDC
Usually don't mind these posts but why are they all must gets and there are multiple players at certain positions on your list?
Because if we want to catch up with Georgia we need to start winning big time recruiting battles and closing out on guys that we either led for at one point or were trending our way early

I’m tempted to call this hyperbole…except I think you actually mean for it to be taken seriously
I’m not saying it’s the end of the world if we don’t land them all, but doing so would really help get us closer to contention for an SEC and National Championship. Sure we could land some other guys if we miss on them, but they likely won’t make the impact these guys will. Particularly Wingo, Franklin, Ross, Ify, and Easley

I’m not saying it’s the end of the world if we don’t land them all, but doing so would really help get us closer to contention for an SEC and National Championship. Sure we could land some other guys if we miss on them, but they likely won’t make the impact these guys will. Particularly Wingo, Franklin, Ross, Ify, and Easley
"Must" != "Helpful"

Simmer down and stop trying to spread the vapors here on VN.

Reactions: sjt18
Because if we want to catch up with Georgia we need to start winning big time recruiting battles and closing out on guys that we either led for at one point or were trending our way early
No. If the Vols want to catch up with UGA then they need to find and develop talent. It may come in the form of highly rated guys or it may come in the form of players that Heupel and staff discover like Leacock... who some here were convinced had to be "raw" or untalented or play poor competition since UT found him before the recruiting sites noticed. There are A LOT of those guys out there. More than enough to build a championship roster with 3* if a coach finds them.

It would be GREAT to get some of these highly pursued players IF they have the right attitude. You never need to poison your culture with prima donnas. That is always a risk with some of the highly rated guys.

Chas Nimrod was given 3* by 247's composite. He was ranked the #79 WR in the country which isn't bad. Webb was rated a 4* and the #46 WR in the country. There's no question Webb played much better competition in HS. Yet so far it is Nimrod making the bigger impression. I may be mistaken but I seem to remember that even Arkansas overlooked him.

I still have hope that Webb will develop into a great player but the idea that the recruiting sites are able to accurately discern between two players like Nimrod and Webb... just isn't realistic.

Barring injury, Sampson has a great future ahead of him at UT and beyond. He earned playing time as a Fr and played very, very well. In spite of posting outstanding numbers in HS, being a great student, and apparently having high character... he was only awarded 3*. The 247 composite said he was the 36th best RB in the country... and only the 21st best player in Louisiana. Justin Thomas who I was personally very excited about due to talent and knowing a family he's close with was given 4*. He was ranked the #22 RB in the country. After assessing his opportunity and competition, he moved on to Stanford.

The point here is that guys like Sampson and Nimrod aren't unique out there. There are bunches of them. You just have to have a coaching staff that can find and correctly assess them.

So they're "must gets"... but not really "must gets"?

Your tendency toward hyperbole gets you in trouble a lot here. Just a bad habit that I hope for your sake doesn't carry over to your real life. It makes people not like you.

No. If the Vols want to catch up with UGA then they need to find and develop talent. It may come in the form of highly rated guys or it may come in the form of players that Heupel and staff discover like Leacock... who some here were convinced had to be "raw" or untalented or play poor competition since UT found him before the recruiting sites noticed. There are A LOT of those guys out there. More than enough to build a championship roster with 3* if a coach finds them.

It would be GREAT to get some of these highly pursued players IF they have the right attitude. You never need to poison your culture with prima donnas. That is always a risk with some of the highly rated guys.

Chas Nimrod was given 3* by 247's composite. He was ranked the #79 WR in the country which isn't bad. Webb was rated a 4* and the #46 WR in the country. There's no question Webb played much better competition in HS. Yet so far it is Nimrod making the bigger impression. I may be mistaken but I seem to remember that even Arkansas overlooked him.

I still have hope that Webb will develop into a great player but the idea that the recruiting sites are able to accurately discern between two players like Nimrod and Webb... just isn't realistic.

Barring injury, Sampson has a great future ahead of him at UT and beyond. He earned playing time as a Fr and played very, very well. In spite of posting outstanding numbers in HS, being a great student, and apparently having high character... he was only awarded 3*. The 247 composite said he was the 36th best RB in the country... and only the 21st best player in Louisiana. Justin Thomas who I was personally very excited about due to talent and knowing a family he's close with was given 4*. He was ranked the #22 RB in the country. After assessing his opportunity and competition, he moved on to Stanford.

The point here is that guys like Sampson and Nimrod aren't unique out there. There are bunches of them. You just have to have a coaching staff that can find and correctly assess them.
I totally agree. Would rather have a 3 star who is wanting to make a name for himself than a 5 star who is going to come here and put forth half of the effort. That is what is wrong with our BB team. We have too much talent and not enough effort.

Reactions: sjt18

Exactly right

Skill position offensive players are a lot different than big guys in the trenches. When you look at the OL/DL (which is where Georgia beat us) that are first round draft picks they are oftentimes guys that were top 10 at their position coming out of HS. There are the exceptions like Jordan Davis, but usually highly projected guys in the trenches coming out of college were also highly rated guys coming out of HS. Players in the trenches usually don’t emerge their senior season or get overlooked like the Justin Jeffersons and Qhinshon Judkins of the world do. Which is why landing guys like this and Ross, Okoye, Easley, and Calhoun are so important. As far as Ify goes he looks to be a natural in coverage and with the verdict still out on whether Martinez can evaluate develop guys we need a corner that has already shown he’s capable of playing man coverage where we don’t have to wait and see if he can be developed into that

Last edited:
Reactions: 19_GBO_19

VN Store

Back