The Official #4 Tennessee vs. #5 Duke NCAA Tournament Game Thread, 2:40 PM ET, CBS

Actually, I do expect Phillips to make his mark on the game. And quite frankly, I believe we have to have him today. No not scoring 15+ points but banging in the paint grabbing boards against smaller guards that are on him. This will be a heavyweight battle. Phillips is the X-factor. If there’s one thing he can do, it’s rebound and open up 2nd chance opportunities for us. IMO
This, JP has to step up today. If he wants to prove that he is a top draft pick today is the day to do it.

Go Vols beat Duke! Wife and I will be at Smoky Mtn. brewery in Pigeon Forge if anyone is here and wants to cheer on the Big Orange! Let's go baby! Put up or shut up time. Let's ****kin kick the ******* door in of this tournament and let the country know we are not just a regular season wonder and Tennessee basketball is here to stay for all you blue blood basketball fans. GBO! 🍊🍊🍊🍊

I don’t expect much from Phillips in this game.

He’s just not strong enough to attack the rim and his handles have been suspense.

If we have any chance at winning, JJJ HAS to grow up and show up today. Attack the rim, don’t just settle for jump shots.
I seriously appreciate JJJ but mercy.... I wish he was aggressive at times

Go Vols beat Duke! Wife and I will be at Smoky Mtn. brewery in Pigeon Forge if anyone is here and wants to cheer on the Big Orange! Let's go baby! Put up or shut up time. Let's ****kin kick the ******* door in of this tournament and let the country know we are not just a regular season wonder and Tennessee basketball is here to stay for all you blue blood basketball fans. GBO! 🍊🍊🍊🍊
We are at the Roaming Gnome!

Play hard, attack inside out on offense and put your best choke out D on display. Shoot the ball like you are capable. Crash the boards and give it your all. Go WIN!!!! GBO

Reactions: feathersax
We are at the Roaming Gnome!

My wife and I were there last Saturday- Wed with the expectation of driving to Greensboro or B-Ham for the first two rounds. However, the committee sent TN to Orlando.

I hope you are having a great time and good weather. It was rainy and in the 30’s when we were there, but we enjoyed our time on the cabin.

Go Vols!

I’m hoping this is a competitive game because Duke is a great team that can lift more vs a Tennessee team that isn’t the same without ZZ.

While I am a glass is half full optimistic person, however I’m not rose colored glasses because I could seriously say my Titans stunk offensively for scoring in 2022 and by the losing record they’re a bad team.
Also that the 2023 Volunteers have proven they aren’t the same team without ZZ.

Also without ZZ it’s the high bar advantage for Duke because less match up challenges, no major injuries, and Duke has a full house for the starting line up so the Volunteers are a middleweight having to compete with a Heavyweight.

Ok, it's GAMEDAY!! LFG!!! All positive vibes from here on out! Just gotta stomp on then like a little ROACH!! Pluck em out like little WHITEHEAD Pimples they are! Do some double FLIPKOWSKI'S on them!!!! Duke ain't nothing!! They may be YOUNG and LIVELY, but it won't take a PROCTOR to Gamble it all on the VOLS!!! ACC SUCKS! VOLS BY FIDDY!! ROCKY TOP BABY!!

Reactions: feathersax
Vescovi has GOT to stay out of foul trouble. We need 38 minutes from him

He’ll need to play terrific along with multiple other players.
It’s still achievable for Tennessee to defeat Duke without ZZ if they play great which involves get more rebounds, less turnovers than Duke, make more threes, and don’t give Duke any easy baskets.

Gotta make this game ugly. Lots of turnovers, missed shots, loose balls. Straight up defensive knock-down drag-out. Gotta bring Duke down into the mud and the blood with us. Keep it in the 50s lower 60s. Vols win if we can keep it on our level of nastiness.

This team is 21-0 when the opponent does not get 60 points.

While I’ve been concerned and posted the last two weeks that TN would be paired against Duke, I think we can win this game.

Rarely do I discuss officiating but this is the one game where officiating will make the difference. If they allow the game to be be more physical then TN has a great shot of winning as our bigs can bang down low. If the refs blow the whistle then it may be a long day as Duke is quicker and more athletic.

Vols win if:

1. Allowed to play physical. Put a body on Duke player when dribble driving to the rim. Plus, pressure their guards and big men. Keep Duke off the foul line.

2. Rebound - we don’t have to win the rebounding battle but must limit Duke’s 2nd chance points.
Awaka mist have a good game and give TN 2nd chance opportunities.

3. Turnovers - TN must take care of the ball. Plus, pressure Duke’s young guards.

4. Three ball - make around 6-8 three balls.

5. MAKE foul shots. Missing a foul shot, esp front end of 1 and 1 is like a turnover.

Go Vols!

Reactions: firestorm
Duke will have their best defender on Vescovi, just like every team we've play this year has. Add in the fact he is playing point a lot with Zeigler out, his scoring opportunities just aren't there. Need some screens set to get him enough space to get the shot off. Our bigs need to be threats underneath to take some pressure off the three point shots.
It will most likely be a combination of Proctor and Mitchell defending Vescovi. Those 2 are Duke’s best on ball defenders. The matchup that no one is talking about, but should be, is Uros and Lively That’s going to be a massive battle based on fouls. If Uros can get Lively with some early fouls that gets him out of the game thats a huge advantage because Lively is an elite rim protector and rebounder. That dramatically changes Duke’s defense bc Young doesn’t have Uros size.

The team that wins the turnover battle will win IMO . This game will be a grind it out game all the way .

VN Store

Back