The Official #4 Tennessee vs. #5 Duke NCAA Tournament Game Thread, 2:40 PM ET, CBS

I am not overly confident given how the Vols played to end the regular season. Limping into the tournament is never good. Going what, 5-5 in the last 10 games?

All out effort, go out and attack of offense and bring that tough Tennessee D with us tomorrow. We can win with a very good total team effort. We have to penetrate inside out and have a good game offensively and a great game on D. Let’s get the victory Big Orange!!!!! GBO

They don’t play defense like what we are going to bring in that weak ass acc. Not this year. Duke is going to be behind the whole game. We hit some threes- talking about Big V and JJJ AND Phillips here… and we are advancing. Rocky Top blaring into the night.
Sun going down on Duke tomorrow.
I can feel it.
Love it.
VOLS.

Gotta make this game ugly. Lots of turnovers, missed shots, loose balls. Straight up defensive knock-down drag-out. Gotta bring Duke down into the mud and the blood with us. Keep it in the 50s lower 60s. Vols win if we can keep it on our level of nastiness.

Vols will have to limit second chance points. Defend the paint and the arch. Cover the dribble drive and kick. Get Flip in foul trouble. Create turnovers. Get strong on the boards. Play high level consistent defense.

I am not overly confident given how the Vols played to end the regular season. Limping into the tournament is never good. Going what, 5-5 in the last 10 games?

We were the hottest team in country last year going into the tourney, how’d that work out? We wound up at same point. Doesn’t matter how you were coming into the tourney once you’re in the second round. Just win anyway possible.

Unfortunately I feel like this is just a bad spot for us. Hope I’m wrong but I’m guessing Duke by 10. Would love to be surprised though

If we get same production from everyone we did vs ULL and Santi returns to his scoring clip, that puts around 70-75 points.... That should be enough to win when pairing with our defense. That ULL game was ugly, but we were an average Santi away from being right on pace with our "Post ZZ" scoring.

I remember Tennessee going into the Orange Bowl in 2003, I think. I thought they had no chance. They fooled around and won it, 10-6. They can go into Florida and get another upset today. And speaking of upsets, since Tennessee is the higher seed, would it be considered an “upset” if they lost today?

Unfortunately I feel like this is just a bad spot for us. Hope I’m wrong but I’m guessing Duke by 10. Would love to be surprised though
After last night, our bracket opened wide up. When things start to look as though they're going our way, I get worried. So close...so close...

One advantage the Vols have over anyone they play is that the Vols have been the hunted all season. Every team the Vols have faced this year gave the Vols every thing they had and then some. So, the Vols have the experience, proven in the LA game, to weather an opponents best shot.

Duke, IMO, will not play the Vols like LA did. They are gonna play this game like they are supposed to win because they are Duke. This time the Vols have to play like they are the 3rd monkey trying to get on Noah's Ark.

Go Vols!

I remember Tennessee going into the Orange Bowl in 2003, I think. I thought they had no chance. They fooled around and won it, 10-6. They can go into Florida and get another upset today. And speaking of upsets, since Tennessee is the higher seed, would it be considered an “upset” if they lost today?

4 vs 5s, 8 vs 9, 7 vs. 10s, 2 vs 3s, etc. are not really upsets or that big of upsets. Seeds are so close that it is almost a wash. Even 3 vs. 6 is a closer matchup.

Reactions: RDU VOL#14
Can't say I have high confidence, but one silver lining is that Barnes and this team have out performed expectations against the best teams. And regardless of whole season numbers, Duke is one is the best playing teams right now.

Reactions: DuckInAPen
One advantage the Vols have over anyone they play is that the Vols have been the hunted all season. Every team the Vols have faced this year gave the Vols every thing they had and then some. So, the Vols have the experience, proven in the LA game, to weather an opponents best shot.

Duke, IMO, will not play the Vols like LA did. They are gonna play this game like they are supposed to win because they are Duke. This time the Vols have to play like they are the 3rd monkey trying to get on Noah's Ark.

Go Vols!
Love it!

I want to believe TN comes out hot offensively with a suffocating defense and maintains the intensity for 40 minutes. But, I just don’t see it happening. I sincerely hope I’m wrong! GBO!

I’m hoping quite a bit more TN fans made the trek to Orlando yesterday. That place is gonna have a lot of blue in it. Will only be sweeter tho when they watch their beloved Dookie babies collapse.

VN Store

Back