The Official #4 Tennessee vs. #5 Duke NCAA Tournament Game Thread, 2:40 PM ET, CBS

If we get same production from everyone we did vs ULL and Santi returns to his scoring clip, that puts around 70-75 points.... That should be enough to win when pairing with our defense. That ULL game was ugly, but we were an average Santi away from being right on pace with our "Post ZZ" scoring.
Duke will have their best defender on Vescovi, just like every team we've play this year has. Add in the fact he is playing point a lot with Zeigler out, his scoring opportunities just aren't there. Need some screens set to get him enough space to get the shot off. Our bigs need to be threats underneath to take some pressure off the three point shots.

I want to believe TN comes out hot offensively with a suffocating defense and maintains the intensity for 40 minutes. But, I just don’t see it happening. I sincerely hope I’m wrong! GBO!
Duke isn’t built to “out score” teams this year especially vs good defensive teams. They are built similar to us, just with a better offense. If our defense comes to play like it has vs most of the top 15 teams we’ve played this year, we should be in position to win the dang thing in the end. This one is going to be a slugfest.

They don’t play defense like what we are going to bring in that weak ass acc. Not this year. Duke is going to be behind the whole game. We hit some threes- talking about Big V and JJJ AND Phillips here… and we are advancing. Rocky Top blaring into the night.
Sun going down on Duke tomorrow.
I can feel it.
Love it.
VOLS.
The teams we have played in the latter part of the season and now tournament time has literally assaulted Big V and are getting away with it. This is what annoys me with College Basketball, you can maul someone and it's overlooked but if you rea h in to slap the ball away they ring you up

Gotta find a way to slow down roach…if he plays well Duke is going to likely win. Make the other guys try to beat you. Keep it low scoring and we have a chance.

I remember Tennessee going into the Orange Bowl in 2003, I think. I thought they had no chance. They fooled around and won it, 10-6. They can go into Florida and get another upset today. And speaking of upsets, since Tennessee is the higher seed, would it be considered an “upset” if they lost today?

Technically no since we are a higher seed, but that the same time 4/5 is one of those flip a coin things; there's not much difference.

But make no mistake, we ARE the underdog. Everyone expects us to have a short stay and everyone is on Duke's nuts. Dickie V has them in the Final Four (yeah I know, he's a homer anyway but still). And it's not Coach K's Duke, but it's still Duke.

Honestly I'm trying to block out the bad vibes I'm getting comparing it to 2000 and UNC in the S16. That was also going against another ACC blue blood that was "down" who we couldn't beat. It's not quite the same scenario but like I said, it's still Duke.

Gotta find a way to slow down roach…if he plays well Duke is going to likely win. Make the other guys try to beat you. Keep it low scoring and we have a chance.
Roach is their veteran. The rest of their guys are freshmen. They have turned a corner and aren’t playing like freshmen anymore but if we can limit Roach, our defense may be able to turn them back into their old freshmen ways. Regardless, it doesn’t matter how good our defense plays if we don’t take care of the basketball. If we turn the ball over 15+ times, might as well go ahead and pack it up.

Didn't realize Duke was so big inside, (6-8,7-0,7-1). We are usually the bigger team and can rely on that but not today it appears. Hope Santi and JJJ are hot.

Reactions: GiveHim6InSC
The public bet according to Caesar’s is 86% on Duke and 14% Tennessee. Maybe Vegas wants to make some money off this game? 🤷‍♂️

Reactions: HalfullVol
Duke will have their best defender on Vescovi, just like every team we've play this year has. Add in the fact he is playing point a lot with Zeigler out, his scoring opportunities just aren't there. Need some screens set to get him enough space to get the shot off. Our bigs need to be threats underneath to take some pressure off the three point shots.

nailed it!

Which is why the production of Mashack/Uros needs to be there. Santi is definitely going to get more shots by force or design. Will take chances with him “forcing” shots instead of just being passive. Yeehaw!

It would be just like Tennessee to finally get to a Final Four in this unlikeliest of seasons.

Reactions: gordonr24
I don’t expect much from Phillips in this game.

He’s just not strong enough to attack the rim and his handles have been suspense.

If we have any chance at winning, JJJ HAS to grow up and show up today. Attack the rim, don’t just settle for jump shots.

He’s just not strong enough to attack the rim and his handles have been suspense.

If we have any chance at winning, JJJ HAS to grow up and show up today. Attack the rim, don’t just settle for jump shots.
We should appreciate whatever we get from JJJ. Because with his knee and now ankle issues, he's struggling to even be on the court playing.

Reactions: DuckInAPen

I think this is the key. JJJ can't be a no-show today.

Actually, I do expect Phillips to make his mark on the game. And quite frankly, I believe we have to have him today. No not scoring 15+ points but banging in the paint grabbing boards against smaller guards that are on him. This will be a heavyweight battle. Phillips is the X-factor. If there’s one thing he can do, it’s rebound and open up 2nd chance opportunities for us. IMO

We should appreciate whatever we get from JJJ. Because with his knee and now ankle issues, he's struggling to even be on the court playing.

I understand he’s been fighting injuries pretty much his whole career.

However, he’s a senior. This is his last chance to make a statement.

Do we get JJJ that dominated in the SEC Tournament last year or do we get JJJ that fails to show up when we need him most?

We need scoring in a bad way against a red hot Duke team.

VN Store

Back