Does Julian Phillips come back?

Does Julian Phillips come back?

Votes: 27 9.3%
  • Yes

Votes: 177 61.2%
  • No

Votes: 85 29.4%

• Total voters
he will probably enter the draft without hiring an agent, and will get some feedback. think he will get a big nil deal, and ultimately come back and have a strong year 2. the next years draft class is weak, so he could potentially be a top 10-15 pick.

Reactions: HalfullVol
Just to the store. He’ll be back before Thursday night.
I appreciate your sarcasm. But, I just don't see where anyone on our team would think they can leave early for the draft. Seems the talent has declined a bit. Yes, together, they make a decent team. But, who really is NBA material day in, day out on this roster? Just my opinion.

Just to the store. He’ll be back before Thursday night.
My Dad’s uncle told us that one time. Even asked us if we wanted anything. 9 YEARS later he literally walks in the house, without knocking, sits at the kitchen table, and said “hey fellas” like he just left. Uncle Jim was a rambling man for sure, & I’ll never forget how cool and strange that moment was. sorry I know it’s not Bball related but this triggered me and wanted to share.

Springer, a UT one-and-doner and a first-round pick, is in his 2nd NBA season and I think averaging about 2 minutes a game.
Johnson, a UT one-and-doner and also a first-round pick in 2021, is also in his 2nd NBA season and averaging maybe 8 minutes a game.

This is what most one-and-doners actually do after being drafted on potential--sit on the bench. I've never understood why you'd give big, first-round contracts to guys who are not ready and won't be--if at all--for 2/3/4 years--but that's how the NBA rolls.

And also making tons of money.

Springer, a UT one-and-doner and a first-round pick, is in his 2nd NBA season and I think averaging about 2 minutes a game.
Johnson, a UT one-and-doner and also a first-round pick in 2021, is also in his 2nd NBA season and averaging maybe 8 minutes a game.

This is what most one-and-doners actually do after being drafted on potential--sit on the bench. I've never understood why you'd give big, first-round contracts to guys who are not ready and won't be--if at all--for 2/3/4 years--but that's how the NBA rolls.
Now let's talk bank accounts. :cool:

He has top 10 potential if he came back and averaged 15 ppg.

He already is a borderline first round pick as is.

If he is a draft pick, then the NBA is in trouble. He may get there in a year or two, but right now he is far from an NBA body and not nearly rough enough. Let alone he has not shown the shot making ability (to me) to be an NBA player yet.

To WHERE? Europe? G League? It Damn sure aint the NBA!! Good Lord. Chandler had triple the impact that Phillips has had at UT and Chandler can't even get on the floor with Morant MIA!!! Phillips would be a complete DUMBASS for going anywhere but back to Pratt Pavilion!

I love Phillips and his game, but he is no where near (at this point) either Springer or Johnson when they were at UT. JP needs to get stronger and be able to hold onto the ball in traffic. Maybe I am just being selfish and wanting him to come back BADLY, but I think one more year in Barnes' system will be good for him.

To WHERE? Europe? G League? It Damn sure aint the NBA!! Good Lord. Chandler had triple the impact that Phillips has had at UT and Chandler can't even get on the floor with Morant MIA!!! Phillips would be a complete DUMBASS for going anywhere but back to Pratt Pavilion!
He could transfer to Vandy where he’d learn actual offense, sets and plays that translate to the NBA. Or, he can come back and get ground into dust practicing defense.

A chance at a home run. For those same reasons many thought it absurd to offer a high schooler like LeBron such ridiculous money. Kobe was traded on draft day. I'd say the Hornets would love to have rolled the dice on Kobe instead of passing him on to LA.
But, I get your point. Looking at JP and tons of other underdeveloped talent, it's hard to see NBA dominance.

He will be a focal point next season with how much production we are losing. I feel he will come back and move from like 35 and up range to top 15-25 which is significant money difference.

He could transfer to Vandy where he’d learn actual offense, sets and plays that translate to the NBA. Or, he can come back and get ground into dust practicing defense.
If only these 5* kids learned from their predecessors instead of continually committing to that oppressive dictator, Rick Barnes. 🙄

If only these 5* kids learned from their predecessors instead of continually committing to that oppressive dictator, Rick Barnes. 🙄
I didn't know they were Vandy fans on this site who the hell wants to go to Vanderbilt unless you play baseball. Stack house will jump ship as soon as UNC calls by the way

Phillips is a disappearing act a lot of nights,I don't remember him doing anything memorable against Mizzu! I hope he takes off next year,he obviously has athletic ability!

At the first of the season, I would've said no but after watching him play, he could benefit greatly from another year. The NIL money is there, and he really needs to bulk up, and become a consistent scorer. Come on back Julian!

Reactions: LibertyVol
Drafted or not he is nowhere close to playing in the nba right now. I love Phillips, he is a great talent. But the fact is he isn’t even a reliable consistent scorer for us yet. His ball handling and playing under control skills have to vastly improve. He isn’t a dependable consistent player at the college level yet. If he goes I wish him all the best, but he will end up just like Jumper who shouldn’t have left yet either. Both struggled finishing at the rim and had trouble in the paint controlling the ball. GBO

Is Stackhouse a better offensive and schematic coach than Barnes??
What are you basing it on? Tennessee has a slightly higher eFG% and is #49 in adjusted offensive efficiency, while Vandy is #21. Is that a huge difference?

You act as if Stackhouse is the basketball equivalence to Josh Heupel, while Barnes is running the four corners offense. You don't have to like the offense Barnes employees, but taking backhanded swipe after swipe at him and simultaneously shilling for Vanderbilt and Coach Stackhouse is stupid. Go cheer for Vandy. I have no problem with fair criticism, and our offense deserves its fair share, but you're just being emotional every time you post about it/Barnes.

VN Store

Back