Does Julian Phillips come back?

Does Julian Phillips come back?

Votes: 27 9.3%
  • Yes

Votes: 177 61.2%
  • No

Votes: 85 29.4%

• Total voters
Phillips is going to be THE guy on this team next year. He isn’t transferring. If he leaves for the NBA (which I doubt), then fine. Hard to tell a kid to not take $2-$4 million guaranteed if it’s offered to them. But, the idea he might transfer is a dumb one.

Where is he going to go? He has battled injuries for 4-6 weeks of the season on a senior laden guard focused team. I think he’ll take a huge step forward next year if he stays and puts on more weight, and no one else is going to be offer him more minutes than what he’ll get here. He’s going to be a starter and probably get 30+ MPG if healthy.

Last edited:
Why come back if your borderline first round. Barnes is not gonna get him nor the team any better next year ! Go my friend, really !!!!

Definitely a top 5 candidate for most ignorant post on this board. But it’s obvious you’re a troll so congrats. And another for ignore….

Reactions: berryvol
Phillips is going to be THE guy on this team next year. He isn’t transferring. If he leaves for the NBA (which I doubt), then fine. Hard to tell a kid to not take $2-$4 million guaranteed if it’s offered to them. But, the idea he might transfer is a dumb one.

Where is he going to go? He has battled injuries foe 4-6 weeks of the season on a senior laden guard focused team. I think he’ll take a huge step forward next year if he stays and puts on more weight, and no one else is going to be offer him more minutes than what he’ll get here. He’s going to be a starter and probably get 30+ MPG if healthy.
If he leaves/transfer it might be because he doesn't like the Offense. Considering what we have seen I'm not sure there is an argument to be made. Preferably I hope he stays, but I wouldn't be surprised if he transferred.

There are lots of 5* talent coming out of high school. Few are one and done‘ers ready for NBA stardom.
Watch some tape of the kid that played at Gate City High School a few years ago. Beat Iverson’s scoring record, won this years slam dunk contest. He can’t even make a regular season roster after playing 2-3 years of college ball. Who knows what the NBA is looking for.

There are lots of 5* talent coming out of high school. Few are one and done‘ers ready for NBA stardom.
Watch some tape of the kid that played at Gate City High School a few years ago. Beat Iverson’s scoring record, won this years slam dunk contest. He can’t even make a regular season roster after playing 2-3 years of college ball. Who knows what the NBA is looking for.

The NBA is looking for tall, lanky, long-armed people who can run the floor and make 3 pointers.

Reactions: berryvol
If he leaves/transfer it might be because he doesn't like the Offense. Considering what we have seen I'm not sure there is an argument to be made. Preferably I hope he stays, but I wouldn't be surprised if he transferred.

How do you know he doesn’t like the offense we run?

Reactions: NighthawkVol
How do you know he doesn’t like the offense we run?
I didn't say that I did. Noticed I stated he might not like the offense. Just giving a possible reason IF he decided to transfer. Conjecture on my part. Besides Barnes Offense was not good this season.

Nope. He’s gonna go get the money.

To be honest, in this instance, it would be dumb. He’s not grading out as a 1st rounder and he’s not going to get record breaking 2nd round money like Kennedy Chandler. Maybe he’ll light the combine up, but he really needs a 2nd year. I also remember him saying during his recruitment he was very open to not being a one-and-done (I’m paraphrasing) so if that’s the case I expect him to be back. He has a lot he needs to work on and he can increase his guaranteed money substantially next year in a weaker draft class.

The offense we run has nothing to do with Phillips having to adjust for more physical play and ball handling troubles. He is young and will get better. He is ultra talented but still very raw. The NBA now is willing to spend big bucks on younger players for long term benefits. He will play in G league first if he leaves this year. I totally agree he is either staying at Tennessee or going to enter the draft. I see no benefit in transferring, he seems to like it here and regardless what folks say Barnes is a good developer of talent. GBO

My Dad’s uncle told us that one time. Even asked us if we wanted anything. 9 YEARS later he literally walks in the house, without knocking, sits at the kitchen table, and said “hey fellas” like he just left. Uncle Jim was a rambling man for sure, & I’ll never forget how cool and strange that moment was. sorry I know it’s not Bball related but this triggered me and wanted to share.
My oldest brother would do similar things…never for that long. Finally settled down in his 40’s and was decently successful🤷‍♂️

Reactions: aWhiteLoftonChism
I love Phillips and his game, but he is no where near (at this point) either Springer or Johnson when they were at UT. JP needs to get stronger and be able to hold onto the ball in traffic. Maybe I am just being selfish and wanting him to come back BADLY, but I think one more year in Barnes' system will be good for him.
I personally think this is his biggest weakness at this point. Weak hands especially in traffic. And he’ll probably need to get more proficient behind the arc. I actually won’t be surprised either way going or staying.

Reactions: walkenvol
IMO

If he stays in college, he’ll hit the portal. This enemic offense is not his style.

Yes. Blame Phillips not being NBA ready on Barnes’s offense. Couldn’t possibly be that he’s rail thin, struggles with his handle at times, and has a raw jump shot. All of that being said, I like the kid and think he has a world of potential. Would love to have him back.

VN Store

Back