Rickea Jackson is coming back!

I don't think much changes in terms of draft lottery position for either. Rickea will be a top five pick next season, maybe even a #1 if she cleans some aspects of her game (ball handling, more consistent outside shot). Same for Jordan. She can make herself a higher pick by getting a bit more consistent in her shot and perhaps showing she can be an effective PG, where I think her pro value would be the highest.
Probably make more money in the "off season" overseas than they would in the WNBA anyhow.

Reactions: chuckiepoo
Been a lot of moaning and groaning about lack of recruiting..... Kellie been playing chess while ya'll playing checkers.

She doesn’t make promises to high schoolers and I like that. I think it’s cost us a few but that’s alright. The players she brings in all get better.

Jackson is an All-American and decided to return even after being benched early in the season. She saw that the staff truly cared and wanted her to get better. That’s worth a lot and will translate

. If Jordan comes back, one reason might be for her to prove she can be an elite PG, so that solution might be right in front of us.
I've been tooth and toenail against more ball handling for Jordy, but it might work, esp with the surrounding cast she'll have. It may be exactly the thing. Plus Powell, who I still think can contribute. Kellie liked having 2 pgs this year.

I'm starting to wonder about Jordan tho. Seems like she would have announced today also if she is gonna. Totally get RJ doing it today since the portal is opening. Folks need to know. Maybe Jordy is just ready for a change of scene. Kind of funny if RJ is out there recruiting JH just like JH was recruiting her this time last year. Life is strange.
I’m leaning more of the NIL being 99% the reason and maybe one percent is from appreciating the discipline but no matter we are glad she’s coming back for another year
Come on back and get they POY award, Rickea!!
Maybe Rickea understands how important Education is and wants to get as much as possible (At NO COST) before moving on to the next chapter.
How about the reason is all of the above? The NIL was practically invented for someone as marketable as Rickea. And it's obvious she loves it.
Easy to see she will absolutely enjoy the attention and accolodes she'll have next year. Angel Reese and Caitlin Clark may have a word to say about POY, but RJ will be in the mix Will not hate that. But also there's obviously been growth, both personal and lord knows on the court. As far as finishing the degree, if she doesn't understand the importance I'm pretty sure her Mom does. Lots of good reasons.

my chops start licking themselves i swear to godddddd omg !!
LOL could not have said it better. Who said you don't get second acts in life?

She doesn’t make promises to high schoolers and I like that. I think it’s cost us a few but that’s alright. The players she brings in all get better.

Jackson is an All-American and decided to return even after being benched early in the season. She saw that the staff truly cared and wanted her to get better. That’s worth a lot and will translate

I agree 100%. And there’s been absolutely no setback in recruiting for the LVs despite the criticism. I’ve never gotten too high or low when following recruiting from HS because it’s always more politics than it is substance involved in the rankings.
The LVs do have commitments from generational HS prospects that are projected to rank 1-25 in their respective classes. Yet, these players seem to have genuine enthusiasm to wear the LV jersey. It’s obvious that is a priority to the LV staff.
Jillian Hollingshead and Karoline Striplin have had great seasons as sophomores. Sara Puckett had a really good freshman season and some moments in her sophomore season notably the game against Missouri. Brooklyn Miles had a solid freshman year defensively. Kaiya Wynn and Justine Pissott both are prospects with potential to develop into expanded roles next season. The return of Rickea Jackson and Tamari Key has solidified Tennessee as one of the elite programs in WCBB. The future looks great.

I've been tooth and toenail against more ball handling for Jordy, but it might work, esp with the surrounding cast she'll have. It may be exactly the thing. Plus Powell, who I still think can contribute. Kellie liked having 2 pgs this year.

I'm starting to wonder about Jordan tho. Seems like she would have announced today also if she is gonna. Totally get RJ doing it today since the portal is opening. Folks need to know. Maybe Jordy is just ready for a change of scene. Kind of funny if RJ is out there recruiting JH just like JH was recruiting her this time last year. Life is strange.

glv98, you know kids today are media savvy. They maximize the social media value of each "drop." Key announces her LV journey is not done and we are like OMG, amazing!!; then after that media storm dies down just a bit, Rickea drops her announcement--Absolute nirvana, it can't get it any better!--then, they let some time pass. Just as the buzz starts to diminish and and BOOM! Rocky Top is the mover for Jordan Horston -- and we all die from over exuberance. Not a bad way to go actually.......

The timing of Jordan's announcement will be interesting (assuming it comes) with the tournament right upon us. I am staying tuned for sure...

Last edited:
I believe Rickea is returning because she realized that Kellie's discipline of her came because Kellie cared for her and wanted to make her a better player. I am sure she returning for other reeasons also.

I think RJ is not just another pretty face ! And she definitely has a pretty face ..,. I can see a marketing miracle about to happen with this lady ! Plus the higher education she will be getting…..

I just had a second thought about the Webb players …… I wonder if they are rethinking their decision about LSU ? UT IS THE RIGHT MOVE

I believe Rickea is returning because she realized that Kellie's discipline of her came because Kellie cared for her and wanted to make her a better player. I am sure she returning for other reeasons also.

The flipside is that myself and many, many others were all outrageously, completely, and absolutely WRONG in complaining about the way in which Kellie applied this discipline. In the history of wrongness, there has never been a more "wronger" statement. Even Charles H. Duell the Commissioner of US patent office, who in 1898, proposed closing the office because "everything that could be invented had been invented" was not as wrong as we were. The dude who said the internet was just a fade was not as wrong as we were. People who put mayonnaise on french fries are not wrong as we were (though that one is pretty dang close).

Last edited:
The flipside is that myself and many, many others were all outrageously, completely, and absolutely WRONG in complaining about the way in which Kellie applied this discipline. In the history of wrongness, there has never been a more "wronger" statement. Even Charles H. Duell the Commissioner of US patent office, who 1898, proposed closing the office because "everything that could be invented had been invented" was not as wrong as we were. The dude who said the internet was just a fade was not as wrong as we were. People who put mayonnaise on french fries are not wrong as we were (though that one is pretty dang close).

My problem wasn’t with dispensing the discipline. It was scheduling like she did and then having to bench our best player against top competition. Hope she learned from that because it was dumb. We should have been able to do that against some mid-majors instead of Virginia Tech.

My problem wasn’t with dispensing the discipline. It was scheduling like she did and then having to bench our best player against top competition. Hope she learned from that because it was dumb. We should have been able to do that against some mid-majors instead of Virginia Tech.
We hopefully will see them again if we both make it to that game. The bad thing is Key has Kitley's number sick or well she can stop her from doing anything in a game. We won't have her, but Rickea will be back so it should be a great game.

The flipside is that myself and many, many others were all outrageously, completely, and absolutely WRONG in complaining about the way in which Kellie applied this discipline. In the history of wrongness, there has never been a more "wronger" statement. Even Charles H. Duell the Commissioner of US patent office, who 1898, proposed closing the office because "everything that could be invented had been invented" was not as wrong as we were. The dude who said the internet was just a fade was not as wrong as we were. People who put mayonnaise on french fries are not wrong as we were (though that one is pretty dang close).
I was wrong also, Madtownvol. I have a lot of crow sandwiches in my fridge.

Guys, I'm totally stoked that Ms Jackson is coming back.....She is Lady Vol basketball.
2935a129-bf53-4342-ab1c-86be5a4f3414-JACKSON.jpg

Maybe Rickea understands how important Education is and wants to get as much as possible (At NO COST) before moving on to the next chapter. If players are thinking about the long haul and not having to ever be dependent on anyone other than themselves, they are getting as much education as possible and many of these parents brought them up with Grades and School first, Basketball Second and that is the way it should be. NIL is great, but there are other motivators. Professional Women's basketball is short termed and not guaranteed with the limited number of roster spots. The smart ones will get as much education as possible, i.e., Keyan Green & Jordan Walker and enjoy college. I think I had heard that Jordan Horston had an associate degree before starting at Tennessee out of highschool, so she may be farther along than any of us know. In the real world they have to fend for themselves and considering the teams overall academic standing, we have some smart young women on this team.
Ok then I will go 90% NIL and put everything else in the 10%

Reactions: Raebo and alexvol
538's women's bracket is up. We have the best odds among all the 4 seeds to make it to the Final 4 (14%) and better odds than all the 3 seeds except LSU, and better odds than half the 2 seeds (better than Maryland or Utah).

2023 Women’s March Madness Predictions

Let's goooooo!
Stop it. Can't take anymore good news today.
The Lady Vols are the 4 seed and that is great, however, getting out of Knoxville will not be a walk in the park. They must first face a pesky St. Louis team which surprisingly won the A-10 tournament. Next up will be more than likely Iowa State, which has a very good team. They knocked off Texas to win the Big 12 title. There are a few people who are surprised that the Lady Vols are ranked higher than Iowa State. It is a good chance they will come to Knoxville with a huge chip on their shoulders. They are all good shooters. They shoot over 40% from the three and 80% from the foul line. They are very well coached. They are not necessarily big but they know how to block out and rebound. There superstar is Ashley Joens who is a load both offensively and defensively. She is dangerous from the three and just about anywhere else on the floor. They have two really good guards in Emily Ryan and Lexi Donarski. They can take you on the dribble drive, post up smaller guards and hit from just about anywhere on the floor. They have six excellent shooters who are in range from almost anywhere on the floor.
Totally agree, it will take one of our best games to beat them IMO. But now I feel like everything after St. Louis is house money. Just feels like alot of pressure is off knowing there will be a redo (Jordy?)next year and nothings final. They can just relax and play. I'm actually looking forward to the Iowa St game now, about to buy tickets. Looking forward to the Rickea/Joens matchup.
glv98, you know kids today are media savvy. They maximize the social media value of each "drop." Key announces her LV journey is not done and we are like OMG, amazing!!; then after that media storm dies down just a bit, Rickea drops her announcement--Absolute nirvana, it can't get it any better!--then, they let some time pass. Just as the buzz starts to diminish and and BOOM! Rocky Top is the mover for Jordan Horston -- and we all die from over exuberance. Not a bad way to go actually.......

The timing of Jordan's announcement will be interesting (assuming it comes) with the tournament right upon us. I am staying tuned for sure...
Oh I agree it's all been perfectly timed. Pretty sure the coaches have known this for a second.And good on them, this really feels like tourney momentuem and takes pressure off. But with the portal opening, they kind of need to know about Jordy and maybe they do.
Do you mean because obviously the result was sunshine, lollipops and rainbows nothing could have been done wrong? I'm not sure about that and I still think the prolonged not starting was overly harsh and nonsensical. Heck, maybe Rickea would be a 40% 3 pt shooter by now if only she'd been starting for that stretch. Maybe she got better in spite of the punishment, not because of it? Just asking.

Seriously, this is all kinds of a major chestnuts out of the fire for Kellie J. Harper. What a validation of her vaunted culture, and ya'll better not sneer about that any dang more. This is how Kellie > Holly by a country mile. Arguably, two of Kellie's most important recruits were re-recruits, JH at the beginning and RJ now at this turning point of the program. Big congrats to her for making a moral stand and making a difference for a very talented player; in fact, thank you for not being Nate Oates.

I disagree. Needs to be addressed immediately. Implementing discipline when it hurts shows that the coaches mean business. And knowing that your absence costs the team a potential or likely ranked win gives the benched player a lot to think about and 15 more reasons to make amends.

I respect the staff for swallowing the bitter pill and for keeping the details in house. I also respect Rickea for the extremely mature way she handled the suspension/demotion. She showed a lot of grit and class with her reaction and proved that she was no diva but was instead is a true team player. At that moment, IMO, she became a LVFL.

VN Store

Back