Game Thread: 2023 Women's NCAA Tournament...Round of 16: Lady Vols v Va. Tech...Sat @ 6:30 ESPN2

St Louis University newspaper article on their selection

Julia Martinez dived head first into a group of chairs while chasing after a loose ball during a late Sunday afternoon practice session.

The senior guard for the St. Louis University women’s basketball team was motionless on the court for a few agonizing seconds.

“My heart just stopped,” SLU coach Rebecca Tillett said.

Martinez popped right up with an ear-to-ear smile.

“I’m OK, let’s keep going,” Martinez told her coach and shocked teammates.

The Billikens standout has only one gear — all out.

Hours after throwing a scare into everyone, Martinez and her teammates learned they had garnered the No. 13 seed in the Seattle 3 Regional of the NCAA Tournament and will face tradition-rich and fourth-seeded Tennessee on Saturday in Knoxville at a time to be announced.

It is St. Louis University’s first NCAA tourney berth in the 48-year history of the program. And the Billikens (17-17) don’t intend on stopping now, even with one of the historical marquee schools standing in their way.

A look at the game preview for Memphis @ Houston on SUN, MAR 12 - 03:15 PM EST. You can count on us for everything you need to know about the 2021 NCAA season. Your source for scores, previews, recaps, box scores, and more from every NCAA college basketball game. The schedule is set, and we're ready for some college basketball.

“I’m really, really excited about the seed and playing in such a historic place,” Tillett said. “The history of women’s basketball lives there. This is such a great opportunity for us.”

Tennessee has won eight national titles, the last in 2009.

“It’s an exciting matchup,” Martinez said. “They might underestimate us. But we’re going to come out there and be fired up.”

The Billikens had been projected to be a 14th or 15th seed. The No. 13 ranking delighted senior forward Brooke Flowers.

“It is surprising, but we can take it as a sign of respect,” said the 6-foot-5-inch Flowers, who attended Metro High in St. Louis. “When you think about college basketball, you think about Tennessee and their historic gym.

“I think it’s going to be so cool to play in that environment.”

The Billikens have won 11 of their last 12 games after a 6-16 start to the campaign.

They capped the about-face with a 91-85 overtime win over Massachusetts in the Atlantic 10 Conference tournament championship game, on March 5, to clinch the historic NCAA berth.

“We deserve the respect that we got,” said freshman forward Mia Nicastro, who attended St. Charles West High. “Everybody saw how we played in the (conference) tournament and they know we’re a dangerous team despite having a .500 record.”

Martinez recorded the second triple double in the history of the program in Atlantic 10 title tilt with 17 points, 13 rebounds and 12 assists.

The Billikens’ road to the field of 68 was a hard one. They began the preseason with a 78-70 exhibition to Maryville and lost six in a row and stood at 1-7 after a 78-68 setback to Belmont on Nov. 26.

An NCAA Tournament berth appeared to be out of question as December began. But this group rallied over the last two months of the season and enters tournament play brimming with confidence.

Tillett said the light bulb came on in a 77-74 loss to Wichita State in which her team rallied from an 27-point second-half deficit to make a late run. Then came an impressive win over Fordham.

This group has been unstoppable ever since.

“Everyone took a step up and we just started clicking together,” Martinez said. “We hit a spot and said, ‘We’re just going to stop losing.’ “

Flowers agreed, “We set a standard and starting rising and elevating that standard.”

Fifth-seeded Iowa State and 12th-seeded Toledo meet in the other side of the bracket at Knoxville. The SLU-Tennessee winner will meet that winner on Monday.

Senior Kyla McMakin leads the SLU attack averaging 17.4 points per game game. She has tallied a school record 591 points this season to eclipse the old mark of 574 set by Theresa Lisch in 2009.

“We’re a hot team at this moment,” Martinez said.

Added Flowers, who is averaging 12 points per game, “We have nothing to lose. We’re just excited for the opportunity.”

538's women's bracket is up. We have the best odds among all the 4 seeds to make it to the Final 4 (14%) and better odds than all the 3 seeds except LSU, and better odds than half the 2 seeds (better than Maryland or Utah).

2023 Women’s March Madness Predictions

Let's goooooo!

This year’s Lady Vols are the real deal. Lets go!

This St Louis team is truly terrible. Should be a nice little confidence builder and get rid of the NCAAT jitters.
(Obviously, only fans, not players are allowed to think this way.)
Unbelievable they got a 13 seed….good for UT

Last edited:
Reactions: chuckiepoo
This St Louis team is truly terrible. Should be a nice little confidence builder and get rid of the NCAAT jitters.
(Obviously, only fans, not players are allowed to think this way.)

In case any St. Louis fans are reading this board, it's terrific for the Billikens that they bucked up after a terrible start -- like Tennessee did! -- and then, unlike Tennessee, finished out their season with a fantastic conference tourney championship. Congrats to them!

That said, they will be facing a Tennessee team that has faced much, much stronger competition all season, and who competed in every single game. I believe the Lady Vols truly understand the importance of not underestimating an opponent, too, so I'm not worried about that happening.

Bottom line: It would take a massive miracle for St. Louis to beat Tennessee. The Lady Vols are coming into the tournament strong.

In case any St. Louis fans are reading this board, it's terrific for the Billikens that they bucked up after a terrible start -- like Tennessee did! -- and then, unlike Tennessee, finished out their season with a fantastic conference tourney championship. Congrats to them!

That said, they will be facing a Tennessee team that has faced much, much stronger competition all season, and who competed in every single game. I believe the Lady Vols truly understand the importance of not underestimating an opponent, too, so I'm not worried about that happening.

Bottom line: It would take a massive miracle for St. Louis to beat Tennessee. The Lady Vols are coming into the tournament strong.
I read your opening statement thinking, no way a St. Louis fan is reading this board, then I thought to myself, this is one of the most visited women’s college basketball forums in the country behind The Boneyard, there definitely could be a fan out there reading somewhere.

If there is, congratulations on your first round exit! 🤪

The Lady Vols are the 4 seed and that is great, however, getting out of Knoxville will not be a walk in the park. They must first face a pesky St. Louis team which surprisingly won the A-10 tournament. Next up will be more than likely Iowa State, which has a very good team. They knocked off Texas to win the Big 12 title. There are a few people who are surprised that the Lady Vols are ranked higher than Iowa State. It is a good chance they will come to Knoxville with a huge chip on their shoulders. They are all good shooters. They shoot over 40% from the three and 80% from the foul line. They are very well coached. They are not necessarily big but they know how to block out and rebound. There superstar is Ashley Joens who is a load both offensively and defensively. She is dangerous from the three and just about anywhere else on the floor. They have two really good guards in Emily Ryan and Lexi Donarski. They can take you on the dribble drive, post up smaller guards and hit from just about anywhere on the floor. They have six excellent shooters who are in range from almost anywhere on the floor.

I read your opening statement thinking, no way a St. Louis fan is reading this board, then I thought to myself, this is one of the most visited women’s college basketball forums in the country behind The Boneyard, there definitely could be a fan out there reading somewhere.

If I were a Billikens fan anticipating their program's first ever appearance in the NCAA Tournament, you better believe I would be obsessively scouring the internet for any and all opportunity to bask in the glory of every mention of their team -- especially to see what Tennessee fans are saying!

Don’t sell St. Louis short, because they are playing very well. I don’t believe they have faced a team like the Lady Vols, so they have nothing to lose. This is not in the bag until it is in the bag. Let’s hope the Lady Vols play them as if they are the reigning NCAA champions and take them down.

For those who are grading charlie creme... Charlie got
sixty out of sixty four entrants right
He seeded thirty six correctly
twenty four incorrectly
and missed four

Her hoops top sixteen got fifteen out of sixteen....
seeded ten right ...
seeded six wrong

Attachments

• 20230313_134501.jpg
    20230313_134501.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 12
  • 20230313_134448.jpg
    20230313_134448.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 11
Last edited:
I hope Lady Vols get Iowa St in the 2nd round. Like seeing local kids like Denea Fritz (Maryville Grad) and a 2 year starter for Iowa St, get some opportunities against the home school

Reactions: chuckiepoo
538's women's bracket is up. We have the best odds among all the 4 seeds to make it to the Final 4 (14%) and better odds than all the 3 seeds except LSU, and better odds than half the 2 seeds (better than Maryland or Utah).

2023 Women’s March Madness Predictions

Let's goooooo!

This is one of the nicest interactive graphs I’ve seen. Pretty neat.
It isinteresting they give UConn better odds of making the final four than Virginia Tech or Stanford. I guess it’s due to potential match ups.

VN Store

Back