Kevin Steele is Bama’s DC

Agreed! He also made a subpar OC hire from a guy who couldn't get any offense going at ND..Definately 2 of Saban's subpar hires. He usually keeps elite staffers, he definately could have made 2 much better hires. I'm not mad!

Or you’re incorrectly believing them to be subpar hires.

Reactions: volfanhill
Seriously? He coordinated the worst defense of Saban’s tenure in 2007, then Saban axed him and brought in Kirby.

He came back in 2013 as director of player personnel after Dabo fired him from Clemson following the 70 point debacle against West Virginia, then coached LBs in 2014. Kirby was still the DC. He sucked as DC at both Alabama and Clemson.

Then he got jobs at both LSU and Auburn and did better, but not well enough to be retained after Gus was fired. Then Fulmer gave him a bunch of UT’s money to do nothing, then he sat a year. Cristobol hired him as Miami’s DC last year and they were awful, giving up 45 points to MTSU, to point out one of a few terrible performances.

Yes, this is good for Tennessee because he’s a washed-up 64 year-old coach who had a couple of decent defenses, but mostly underperformed with the talent he had. Clemson and Alabama both improved because of his departure.

This is a step down from Golding. I have to think Heupel is happy.

So 2007 huh? How many top ranked recruiting classes had Saban had at Bama then? How many NCs? You are cherry picking badly and over looking the most important detail. Bama is now a well oiled machine that is the most talented roster in college football. Bamas defense will improve under Steele. To think this is good news for us is laughable.

Reactions: Vol8188
Imagine people thinking Saban doesn't know how to hire and build great staffs. Good lord. And most importantly Bama still has the straw that stirs the drink. Nick Saban.

The same respect Heupel has earned for offensive hires, Saban should easily command at least that much for defensive hires.

Last edited:
Reactions: volfanhill
Doubtful. I’m also not convinced like you are that they will miss the playoffs.
If they miss the CFP, which is very plausible considering UGa waits in ATL, someone will have to take the fall, cause it certainly couldn’t be lord Saban losing a step…

From 2016-2019 his lowest ranked defense at Auburn was 17th. He may not be great, but he’s far from subpar.

This is not true..in 2016 they were 28th in total D, 2017 they were 13, 2018 they were 37th, 2019 they were 28th, and 2020 they were 63rd. Couple of decent years but nothing like Saban expects. In 2015 at LSU they were 25th, which was really not great considering the talent LSU had on D. His last year at Clemson his D was 71st. He's coached at school's that are consistently in the top 15 in Defense's and rarely did his defense's do that. Considering the talent he's had, he should have been top 5 or 10, but didn't.

If they miss the CFP, which is very plausible considering UGa waits in ATL, someone will have to take the fall, cause it certainly couldn’t be lord Saban losing a step…

It’s just as likely that Georgia loses and no one has to take the fall. Saban has enough good will to decide to keep his staff even if they drop 2 games

This is not true..in 2016 they were 28th in total D, 2017 they were 13, 2018 they were 37th, 2019 they were 28th, and 2020 they were 63rd. Couple of decent years but nothing like Saban expects. In 2015 at LSU they were 25th, which was really not great considering the talent LSU had on D. His last year at Clemson his D was 71st. He's coached at school's that are consistently in the top 15 in Defense's and rarely did his defense's do that. Considering the talent he's had, he should have been top 5 or 10, but didn't.

When your head coach, Gus, literally wrote the book on the hurry up offense those are impressive stats.

Also no one judges D by total yards

Reactions: BigOrangeTrain
The metric I was using scoring defense not total defense.

In Saban’s opinion I think it does. Especially given he can take his pick of most DCs in college football and just about any position coach

A) No he can’t. Washington’s OC just turned him down.
B) When Saban fires him does his opinion no longer matter? What about Pete Golding? Saban hired him, but he left to avoid being fired. It’s almost like Saban can be wrong.

Reactions: Vol in Buckeye Land
Georgia has passed them? Based on what?
What was the outcome of their last game? Who won the last Natty? The one before it? Who has better talent in the locker room right now? Who is replacing both their Coordinators? Should I really go on? Or you got it now? And again… look at the F’n schedule… who’s more likely to have at least 1 loss before ATL?

B) When Saban fires him does his opinion no longer matter? What about Pete Golding? Saban hired him, but he left to avoid being fired. It’s almost like Saban can be wrong.

You’re not much of a reader are you?

A. I said “most”. So one guy turning him down doesn’t change that.

B. I said in Saban’s opinion. I imagine Saban still thinks highly of Golding. But between your opinion on DCs and Nick Saban’s, I’ll take Saban. You’re right he might be wrong, but it’s far more likely that you’re wrong given your knowledge of defensive football relative to Saban

What was the outcome of their last game? Who won the last Natty? The one before it? Who has better talent in the locker room right now? Who is replacing both their Coordinators? Should I really go on? Or you got it now? And again… look at the F’n schedule… who’s more likely to have at least 1 loss before ATL?

The game where Bama was without their best WRs but destroyed Georgia earlier in the season with them?

Georgia’s schedule is bad. I agree. They also almost lost to Missouri despite that last season. There’s more variables in this game than you’re pretending there to be.

Judging a programs year one performances doesn’t provide a lot of valid data. Miami was bad all around last year and there’s a reason the previous staff was shown the door.

Not at all. I wanted Steele years ago when we were rumored to back out over his performance in 1 game. He’s a great hire for any program.

If he sucks, Nick Saban wouldn’t have hired him.

Yes, he’s been fired. Plenty of great coaches have. Heupel has been fired

HE WAS FIRED FROM ALABAMA.

HE WAS FIRED FROM CLEMSON.

HE SUCKED AT MIAMI.

Jesus, read what you’re arguing against. Steele has a history of failing AS A DEFENSIVE COORDINATOR. I don’t have to cherry pick…so I didn’t. I pointed out his MULTIPLE FAILURES.

That’s not judging based on a 1 year performance…it’s judging him based on a track record of failure. But yeah, I’m sure Heupel is quaking in his boots because he did alright at Auburn for a few years. 🙄

You know Saban was going to fire him? Are you Miss Terry?

In all seriousness he isn't infallible. But he sure as hell as earned the benefit of the doubt. So........

VN Store

Back