Kevin Steele is Bama’s DC

The Huntsville gang here is reporting that Steele is just a one-year temp deal. Cornbread will be the official DC by this time in 2024.

I can kinda see that plan by Saban. For whatever reasons that Tennessee didn't ever witness, Bama loves the Pruitt defense system.

Tennessee witnessed it in '16 and '17.

Too long ago. I guess it was good enough for us to hire him away.

At this point, I mostly only remember 52-49. WOOOOOO!!

hypatia-h-e43547b5ebca118f19caf533f0e3869d-h-757f7fbb6fdc7ff7091a2e4b777ae6d9.jpg

Once Pruitt gives up 50 and a loss you gumps will be calling for his head. Wait until this year and Saban has to try and stop this offense again with Steele/Pruitt and Bama gets dragged on their own field. Saban will have to go into the wittness protection. Looks like the shine is coming off that Bama program. lol

Pruitts gonna witness death by Nico in 2024

Maybe.

I'm not concerned with Bama losing to a team that just out-executes and out-performs Bama. I'm concerned with the coaching staff's inability to adjust to what is happening in front of them. Allowing the same mismatches or systemic breakdowns over and over again is not acceptable. That was Golding's flaw. He could design a solid gameplan. And if things went right, he could call a great game and make life miserable for the opposing offense. As examples, see all three games he coached against Mike Leach's Miss St squads. Against a very dangerous offense, Golding drew up a scheme that completely shut them down, and they had no answers. But when things didn't go right, he could never figure out how to fix it. This year's UT game being the most obvious example. But last year's A&M game, the 2nd half of the 2020 SECCG, and the 2019 LSU games are also included. Heck, if Auburn was at all capable of throwing the ball by year end, the 2022 Iron Bowl might have looked very different. Auburn ran for over 300 yards despite being completely one dimensional.

Maybe Tennessee beats a Pruitt-led Bama D. But I'd feel much better about it without Golding allowing Hyatt to get one-on-one with a safety whenever Heupel felt like it.

Maybe.

I'm not concerned with Bama losing to a team that just out-executes and out-performs Bama. I'm concerned with the coaching staff's inability to adjust to what is happening in front of them. Allowing the same mismatches or systemic breakdowns over and over again is not acceptable. That was Golding's flaw. He could design a solid gameplan. And if things went right, he could call a great game and make life miserable for the opposing offense. As examples, see all three games he coached against Mike Leach's Miss St squads. Against a very dangerous offense, Golding drew up a scheme that completely shut them down, and they had no answers. But when things didn't go right, he could never figure out how to fix it. This year's UT game being the most obvious example. But last year's A&M game, the 2nd half of the 2020 SECCG, and the 2019 LSU games are also included. Heck, if Auburn was at all capable of throwing the ball by year end, the 2022 Iron Bowl might have looked very different. Auburn ran for over 300 yards despite being completely one dimensional.

Maybe Tennessee beats a Pruitt-led Bama D. But I'd feel much better about it without Golding allowing Hyatt to get one-on-one with a safety whenever Heupel felt like it.
In fairness, nobody figured that out this year except UGA, and they didn't figure it out via anything they were doing in their secondary; they just had a pass rush.

Reactions: Plecoptera
In fairness, nobody figured that out this year except UGA, and they didn't figure it out via anything they were doing in their secondary; they just had a pass rush.

It’s really hard to prevent honestly. Especially given the amount of man and quarters concepts Bama plays.

As much credit as their defense deserves..

We made it way easier on them with our SIX pre snap procedural penalties.

Those really killed us and juiced them up even more and any offense sputters when you can't get out of your own way.

We won't have five false starts in Neyland next year. Gonna be a closer game.

Now we know the bammers will have their crowd ready, I hope our offensive line learned their lesson.

True. But no one failed to defend it the way Bama failed. And without Tillman on the field.

True. But no one failed to defend it the way Bama failed. And without Tillman on the field.

That is true. I thought they would come out of halftime with some type of two-deep adjustment to at least take away the over the top action.

Surprised me.

In hindsight, that obviously wasn't one of Nick's best days. Think he had a poor night of sleep, or some such. I can relate. Father Time wears on you.

That is true. I thought they would come out of halftime with some type of two-deep adjustment to at least take away the over the top action.

Surprised me.

In hindsight, that obviously wasn't one of Nick's best days. Think he had a poor night of sleep, or some such. I can relate. Father Time wears on you.
He made that shocking statement before the game about how the team was anxious. Neyland can be intimidating, and it definitely was that day, but that's shocking if they were actually nervous to play a game and it impacted their play.

Reactions: Jax_Vol
Maybe.

If Golding didn’t/couldn’t make adjustments, why wasn’t Daddy Saban taking over? You would think after getting burnt like toast 3-4 times vs Hyatt Saban would have demanded adjustments…

Reactions: Vol in Buckeye Land
If Golding didn’t/couldn’t make adjustments, why wasn’t Daddy Saban taking over? You would think after getting burnt like toast 3-4 times vs Hyatt Saban would have demanded adjustments…

Think that in the post-game press conference, Nick said he wasn't prepared for the extra wide splits that we were using.

With the receivers way out on the edges of the field.

Think he may have over-delegated that week of practice. But, he will have a new plan for this year. Unsure Steele will be of much use on that.....?

Maybe he should have, but that's never been his MO.

I wonder if Keyton surprised them

Maybe they didn't think they'd have issues with him as well

We were also just firing on all cylinders

Seriously? He coordinated the worst defense of Saban’s tenure in 2007, then Saban axed him and brought in Kirby.

He came back in 2013 as director of player personnel after Dabo fired him from Clemson following the 70 point debacle against West Virginia, then coached LBs in 2014. Kirby was still the DC. He sucked as DC at both Alabama and Clemson.

Then he got jobs at both LSU and Auburn and did better, but not well enough to be retained after Gus was fired. Then Fulmer gave him a bunch of UT’s money to do nothing, then he sat a year. Cristobol hired him as Miami’s DC last year and they were awful, giving up 45 points to MTSU, to point out one of a few terrible performances.

Yes, this is good for Tennessee because he’s a washed-up 64 year-old coach who had a couple of decent defenses, but mostly underperformed with the talent he had. Clemson and Alabama both improved because of his departure.

This is a step down from Golding. I have to think Heupel is happy.

Don't disagree.. but I think he'll be a good "yes sir" coach for Saban and kill it... because it's Saban's Alabama.

Don't have the link handy, but just read from Brice that one of Bamas top Defensive Analyst guys, Huxtable, is moving on to the NFL. Guy was a DC at a couple of places and rumor is he got passed over the DC job that he felt he earned...has never coached NFL amd the timing lend some credit to the rumor.

Womder who else leaves when Steele arrives?

Judging a programs year one performances doesn’t provide a lot of valid data. Miami was bad all around last year and there’s a reason the previous staff was shown the door.

Not at all. I wanted Steele years ago when we were rumored to back out over his performance in 1 game. He’s a great hire for any program.

If he sucks, Nick Saban wouldn’t have hired him.

Yes, he’s been fired. Plenty of great coaches have. Heupel has been fired
Heupel was fired once and was a scapegoat to keep lil’ Stoops around. A team that avg 35+ and lost 5 games, wasn’t the OC’s problem.

Why would the NCAA clear Pruitt? He’s admitted to handing cash to multiple players.
Because Wee Little Nicky told them to.
It will probably be a one year (2023) show cause, Steele gets to wet his beak in the Alabama retirement system, Conehead takes over in 24.
I find it amusing that all you ever hear from bama fans is that Nicky is the defensive guru and that it does not matter who the DC is because Nicky is the greatest defensive mind ever. They made an escape goat of their DC this year, giving him all the hate so as not to say anything against Lord Saban. Something like 9 five stars signed this class. 1 three star. Even Conehead could be considered a great coach with that overwhelming level of talent.

Heupel was fired once and was a scapegoat to keep lil’ Stoops around. A team that avg 35+ and lost 5 games, wasn’t the OC’s problem.

Happens to plenty of coaches, which was my point. “He was fired” doesn’t establish if a guy is a poor, average, or great coach.

Don't have the link handy, but just read from Brice that one of Bamas top Defensive Analyst guys, Huxtable, is moving on to the NFL. Guy was a DC at a couple of places and rumor is he got passed over the DC job that he felt he earned...has never coached NFL amd the timing lend some credit to the rumor.

Womder who else leaves when Steele arrives?

How would Dave Huxtable think he'd earned the DC job after less than 2 years as an analyst?

Reactions: 05_never_again

VN Store

Back