‘23 VA ATH Cameron Seldon (Tennessee Commit)

It’s almost as if it’s against the rules to get excited because you might get disappointed
Spent 15 years getting excited most every Sat in the fall when it was Football Time in Tennessee. Many Sat's I came away disappointed, so like many, I'm a seasoned veteran.
However, it's Heup time and disappointments will be few and far between. Let the excitement continue and disappointments be few !

I have come to learn that “clean” means plain, boring, ordinary, indistinguishable, etc. I like alternates. But they need to have Tennessee orange on them somewhere to be a Tennessee uniform.

As long as it’s not the primary color on the helmet, I’m good.

Not trying to be a Debbie Downer here, but you guys are sure building up a true freshman and if he’s not a freshman All-American he could be viewed as an underachiever. You guys are making him out to be a generational talent. While I hope he is that good, what are you guys going to think if he doesn’t get the touches you’re expecting?
Cam is a freshman, and I expect him to go through the same learning curve and woes of any other freshman. The difference with Cam is that he's physically ready and will start out at a position that is the easiest to see playing time as a freshman. He's not one that you feel like needs a year or two to develop physically. His biggest challenges will be the mental aspects of being a college athlete and adjusting to the speed of SEC college football. It's ok to get excited about that. The "day 1 starter" people always give me a laugh, but it's ok to be excited about what he could bring to this offense at some point. If he doesn't see much time this year, it doesn't make him a bust though. I think most are excited about his potential career here, and the direction of the program overall.

Last edited:
Fant is such a baller. Wish Heup could’ve gotten him for longer. Really just started to scratch the surface with his ability allowing Vols to be more creative. I know we’ll see it with Cam and others but Fant was my fav player this year on O.
Yeah and he had some HUGE plays that impacted some big games for us. The TD play and 2 point conversion against Bama are the first two that come to mind.

Cam is a freshman, and I expect him to go through the same learning curve and woes of any other freshman. The difference with Cam is that he's physically ready and will start out at a position that is the easiest to see playing time as a freshman. He's not one that you feel like needs a year or two to develop physically. His biggest challenges will be the mental aspects of being a college athlete and adjusting to the speed of SEC college football. It's ok to get excited about that. The "the day 1 starter" people always give me a laugh, but it's ok to be excited about what he could bring to this offense at some point. If he doesn't see much time this year, it doesn't make him a bust though. I think most are excited about his potential career here, and the direction of the program overall.
Thank you....well freaking said.

I don't understand why some feel like they need to be the voice of reason on message boards when it comes to fans doing what fans do...be excited about a player. If fans end up disappointed, you making a post like that isn't going to prevent it. Let folks be excited. If you're aiming to avoid your own disappointment, then you can do that without posting. I just fail to see what goal you had in making that post.
Didn’t have a goal - just discussing what i observed with the over the top immediate expectations for a freshman. Only so many snaps available at rb and our top 3 guys are returning so the competition is stiff. Hope Cam exceeds all your wildest dreams and is the next Bo Jackson!

Reactions: Ulysees E. McGill
Not trying to be a Debbie Downer here, but you guys are sure building up a true freshman and if he’s not a freshman All-American he could be viewed as an underachiever. You guys are making him out to be a generational talent. While I hope he is that good, what are you guys going to think if he doesn’t get the touches you’re expecting?

Not sure why you are posturing his opportunities that way. He does not have to take over the world for his abilities to evidence themselves as he goes through the learning curve at potentially multiple positions starting this spring. BTW you have evidenced an ability to be a Debby Downer without a lot of effort. Stephen A syndrome is what it is, and I am not aware of any treatment for it. Snarky is not universally accepted as a positive attribute in a voice of reason role. Excessive use offers others a legitimate shot to question one's motivations. Taking exception when others do is a bit over the top as well.

Working his way into the rotation, even situationally, may be enough to fulfill expectations of the reasonable believers if he shows some wiggle, burst. vision and heart while backing up some of the more seasoned guys. He may well need to work his way into an alpha dog role using production rather than entitlement or a need for the staff to fill a void early on. I don't see a void if those rooms remain healthy. He seems to have the physical attributes covered, but does he have those gamer genes needed for this level too??? TBD.

I am unapologetically excited we have a window into his world available to us on this board. I have been all in for a while and think he has a shot to be historically productive for his CAREER barring bad fortune. I have been right before and wrong before. This was fueled by my trust in our staff's evaluation skills and my perception that they were also all in on this guy from day 1. Does not require he have a Herschel like early impact to get there. Bottom line you do not need to posture goal expectations of others, they have it covered. You are of course free to share your own.

VN Store

Back