Tennessee Lady Vol News

I took a peek today at the season statistics of each player. Many of the stats were expected but there were a few I wanted to comment about.
How about Jordan's dramatic improvement, which I know was obvious but still impressive. Despite having to play several games without Rickea, she is shooting 45% overall and 39% from 3, and has a positive assist/turnover ratio for the first time in her career (30 assists to 22 turnovers). Yes, the turnovers could still improve, but it is also noteworthy that her block and steals together (23) are higher than her turnovers.

Powell has been in a shooting slump but has still been able to maintain the 2:1 assist:turnover ratio we have been needing at point guard for so long (43:20). This should get better as this team learns to play together.

Sara Pucket also needs a shoutout for her positive assist:turnover ratio and this is yet another reason to get the ball in her hands more often like we did in our last game.

The players who have the worst assist:turnover ratios are all new to the team this year: Jackson, Hollingshed, and Suarez (she never played with anyone but Jordy and Keyes before). All three players are likely to be key contributors this year, so hopefully their numbers will improve with more experience with their teammates.

Despite the loads of turnovers early in the year against mostly very good teams (3 in the top 7 and 5 rated), we are trending in a better direction than last year's team. Out team assist:turnover ratio is 1.0 compared to 0.8 last year whereas our opponents ratio is 0.9. In other words, this year we have a slightly better ratio than our opponents whereas last year we had a slightly worse ratio. Even this difference could result in a +4 points per game for us, which makes a difference in all those close SEC games. Furthermore, I expect our ratio to improve as this team jells together. If so, we will be hard to beat!

I took a peek today at the season statistics of each player. Many of the stats were expected but there were a few I wanted to comment about.
How about Jordan's dramatic improvement, which I know was obvious but still impressive. Despite having to play several games without Rickea, she is shooting 45% overall and 39% from 3, and has a positive assist/turnover ratio for the first time in her career (30 assists to 22 turnovers). Yes, the turnovers could still improve, but it is also noteworthy that her block and steals together (23) are higher than her turnovers.

Powell has been in a shooting slump but has still been able to maintain the 2:1 assist:turnover ratio we have been needing at point guard for so long (43:20). This should get better as this team learns to play together.

Sara Pucket also needs a shoutout for her positive assist:turnover ratio and this is yet another reason to get the ball in her hands more often like we did in our last game.

The players who have the worst assist:turnover ratios are all new to the team this year: Jackson, Hollingshed, and Suarez (she never played with anyone but Jordy and Keyes before). All three players are likely to be key contributors this year, so hopefully their numbers will improve with more experience with their teammates.

Despite the loads of turnovers early in the year against mostly very good teams (3 in the top 7 and 5 rated), we are trending in a better direction than last year's team. Out team assist:turnover ratio is 1.0 compared to 0.8 last year whereas our opponents ratio is 0.9. In other words, this year we have a slightly better ratio than our opponents whereas last year we had a slightly worse ratio. Even this difference could result in a +4 points per game for us, which makes a difference in all those close SEC games. Furthermore, I expect our ratio to improve as this team jells together. If so, we will be hard to beat!
Really interesting! Thanks so much for doing this!!

B5E1CFF8-F3E8-45CB-8093-50B66BB64E20.gif
I love those numbers…

the following is what keeps me awake at night pondering the unknown.

Assists = the shooter upon receipt of the pass puts the ball into the basket on her first attempt. we all know that more than a few good passes resulted in the recipient scoring after rebounding the first miss, and or being fouled while shooting and missing. an example - Pissott to Franklin who missed, rebounded scored. Hollinshed receives entry passes and works her offender for several seconds before reversing and scoring, is there a time lapse that eliminates the pass resulting in an Assist? A bad entry pass results in a turnover. I recognize that the good pass doesn't enter the ratio of assists/turnover ratio, nor hustle plays nor charges.

Baseball in the multitude of stats keeps batting average home field and away. Without evidence, only speculation the player who leads the league/ nation in assists has a significantly higher assist average from the home scorer than away.

thanks for reading, I can sleep more easily tonight

So, how does Stanford play?

Stanford rebounds. Right now, they are #8 in the country at 46.82 rebounds per game. Tennessee is #41 at 42.58 rebounds per game. Not a big difference there.

When Stanford played SC, six players had 5+ rebounds. In their most recent game, against Gonzaga, Stanford had 37 rebounds, Brink got 16 of them. Brink can also make a 3 point shot. Jones and Brink look to be their best rebounders.

Stanford’s best (not only), shooters appear to be Brink, Jump, Jones, Demetre, and Iriafen. In the Gonzaga game, Stanford made 15 3’s, Demetre had 5, Jump had 4.

When Stanford played SC, it was an early game, but Stanford had 22 turnovers to SC’s 11, and SC got 19 points off those turnovers. Stanford made one field goal in the fourth quarter.

So what does Tennessee need to do?

Rebound. Outrebound Brink and Jones. Franklin, Horston, and Rickea need to get put backs from any of our missed shots. Of course it would be best to make the first shot.

Stop Brink. Stay on her. She apparently gets in foul trouble, so we help her commit more fouls. Our players, preferably our taller ones who can make a layup even when fouled, should be the ones driving.

SC’s defense rattled Stanford enough that they had 22 turnovers, we need to play smothering DEFENSE. We will have to stay on their 3 point shooters, including Brink. We need to disrupt whatever their most productive Offense has been.

Shoot with confidence, keep your eye on the basket and finish all shots. Pass to open 3 point shooters.

Bring the fight to Stanford for 40 minutes, more if overtime. Play with confidence, don’t rush, don’t get rattled. Believe you are going to win, then do it.

GO LADY VOLS!!!

Last edited:
Stop Brink. Stay on her. She apparently gets in foul trouble, so we help her commit more fouls. Our players, preferably our taller ones who can make a layup even when fouled, should be the ones driving.

I don't disagree, though we fouled her out last year in only 8(!) minutes of play and still lost by 11 at home (Key also fouled out in only 16 minutes). We dug ourselves into a hole in the second quarter, made a big third quarter comeback (fueled largely by Alexus Dye and a variety of players getting to the FT line), but couldn't pull it out in the fourth. I remember Prechtel coming in for Brink and hitting several big 3's. Stanford just has so much depth, especially inside. Jones also killed us last year with 18 points, 19 boards, 6 assists, and going 12-12 on FTs.

Looking at HerHoopStats, I don't see a lot of weaknesses for us to exploit. Stanford clearly wants to play a slower game (they're 245th in the NCAA in possessions per 40 minutes), so maybe our best hope is to get out in transition and try to speed them up and make them uncomfortable. Their A/TO ratio is fantastic (1.47) but South Carolina did force them into 22 turnovers.

I don't disagree, though we fouled her out last year in only 8(!) minutes of play and still lost by 11 at home (Key also fouled out in only 16 minutes). We dug ourselves into a hole in the second quarter, made a big third quarter comeback (fueled largely by Alexus Dye and a variety of players getting to the FT line), but couldn't pull it out in the fourth. I remember Prechtel coming in for Brink and hitting several big 3's. Stanford just has so much depth, especially inside. Jones also killed us last year with 18 points, 19 boards, 6 assists, and going 12-12 on FTs.

Looking at HerHoopStats, I don't see a lot of weaknesses for us to exploit. Stanford clearly wants to play a slower game (they're 245th in the NCAA in possessions per 40 minutes), so maybe our best hope is to get out in transition and try to speed them up and make them uncomfortable. Their A/TO ratio is fantastic (1.47) but South Carolina did force them into 22 turnovers.
Yes, we definitely need to make them uncomfortable. We’re two different teams this year. We have better players, but no Key. We didn’t have Rickea, Franklin, Jillian, and Powell last year, and yes, Rickea is a difference maker, and we need her to play. Justine might be able to contribute. We have backups for Key now, that we didn’t have last year.

Their roster is different as well. Stanford has only played 2 ranked teams this year, SC and Gonzaga. Brink scored 25 points in the SC game, and got 16 rebounds in the Gonzaga game. She is an obvious one to stop, but she is not the only one.

The question is, will we play our best players, and are we ready to play our best together. If so, we should be able to finally play the way we were predicted to play at the beginning of the season.

Last edited:
  • The Lady Vols own a 25-13 record vs. the Cardinal, standing 6-9 at Maples Pavilion, 13-4 in Knoxville and 6-0 at neutral sites.
  • One of those neutral site wins for Tennessee, came in the run to NCAA Championship trophy number eight, when the Lady Vols defeated Stanford, 64-48, on April 8, 2008, in Tampa, Fla.
  • The programs have combined for 11 National Championships (UT 8, SU 3), 33 NCAA Final Fours (UT 18, SU 15) and 2,624 victories (UT 1,433, SU 1,191), with the late UT legend Pat Summitt and Stanford's Tara VanDerveer responsible for much of the growth the game of women's basketball has enjoyed through the years.

NET Ranking - Women's College Basketball | WarrenNolan.com

Strange to see the LSU Net ranking and their ranking in the polls. We have beat a team better than any they have played. We have wins over number 39 Net ranked Colorado and number 59 UMass. Their best win is against number 64 ranked Oregon State. if Kellie learns nothing from this season it is that wins no matter who you play are more important than losses to top ten teams. Loading up on cupcakes is the best way to get to top 20 ranking and end up second in the Net Rankings.

With the OOC basically over the Net Conference Rankings are not going to change much. The SEC is currently the third ranked Net Conference in the country only trailing the ACC and Pac 12 so winning in conference will have a lot of merit because of the high conference Net ranking. Creme says we currently have seven SEC teams in the tourney. We just need to win against those teams to replace them in the bracket. I think 12 conference wins is needed to get in the tourney. I don't care who they are against in the conference if you get 12 conference wins and finish in the top four in the conference your in. Seed won't be great and you might be playing on the road but it will get you in.

Conference NET Ranking - 2023 Women's College Basketball | WarrenNolan.com

Wow, that was a really quick season. Close your eyes and the entire conference schedule and tournament has slipped by you.

I keep hearing that old, sentimental, "Turn around, turn around" jingle in my head.

Wow, that was a really quick season. Close your eyes and the entire conference schedule and tournament has slipped by you.

I keep hearing that old, sentimental, "Turn around, turn around" jingle in my head.

Not a quick season and yes they can turn it around, I`m just calling it like i see right now. We can agree to disagree

VN Store

Back