Where do you stand on players opting out of post-season games (with no injuries) to "prepare for the draft"?

Post-season opt outs (with no injury)

• Total voters
if the post game is not for a championship the players gain no value from participating and risk compromising their future. I;ve no problem with players not participating in a game where half the time the team is not focused on the game anyway.

Players not playing can move forward with getting an agent and beginning to prepare (work out) for the combines and workouts for NFL teams. It really is a no brainer in my opinion.
I don't completely agree because a NY6 bowl against a good opponent is still a big deal. If it were the Music City Bowl or maybe even the Outback Bowl I'd understand 100%.

They are the ones putting the blood and sweat into the game at this point, not me.

Personally been in the scenario of being hobbled for months after knee, ankle, and shoulder injuries and will live with them the rest of my life.

They can make the best decision for themselves and I am good with it.

I can appreciate wanting to play for the program, teammates, and the fans but that kind of went out the window decades ago when it became big business.

Reactions: sami and Jeff Clark
I "hate it" but respect the right of those guys to act in their own interests and make their own value judgments. The majority of us who played didn't do it for money. We did it for the joy of playing the game. We were willing to risk our health like these guys... for something beyond the money.

It seems that the guys who sit out have lost the reason they started playing.

Do you want my fan opinion or adulting business opinion? 😂 adulting: playoffs or bust at this point. No point in getting injured and missing out on money for them and their family.
Fan: you finish what you start with the brother to your left and right. Give your all for TN and get that 11 win season.

I get it but only because they allow it however my opinion is if they are on full scholarship and have been built in that program to go pro, they should be required to play the entire season including the bowl

Reactions: Jeff Clark
If they have been given a good draft grade, I don’t have an issue with opting out of a non playoff bowl game. It’s up to the player and his family and nobody else.

A Ohio State WR has said he is skipping the playoffs to get ready for the combines.

And what about coaches that leave all the time.
Brian Kelly left ND last year at the end of November and ND went down a couple spots in the the cfp poll because their reason was a loss of a key staff member.
Jeff Brohm just signed with Louisville.
Hugh Freeze has signed with Auburn.
Heck, didn’t we just loss a OC?
ETC.
The coaches leave early because of recruiting and early signing periods and players can enter the portal whenever and numerous times in their career. It is just a mess IMO.

I don’t like it but bottom line, I guess it is really just a business decision.

I don't like sitting out. You start the season you should finish unless injury. If you play games 1-12, you can play game 13. Heck, you can get hurt preparing for draft, but you don't sit that out!

If it's not a playoff game, I have zero care. They deserve to do whatever is best for them and their future.

Reactions: McDad
Having a somewhat nuanced "don't love it but understand" response could have been paired with an equally nuanced "don't hate it but think it's wrong" response.

That's what I would've voted. Because that's how I fee. Don't hate when lads do it, but still think it's the wrong thing to do to your program and teammates.

Go Vols!

if the post game is not for a championship the players gain no value from participating and risk compromising their future. I;ve no problem with players not participating in a game where half the time the team is not focused on the game anyway.

Players not playing can move forward with getting an agent and beginning to prepare (work out) for the combines and workouts for NFL teams. It really is a no brainer in my opinion.
Exactly. Several of these bowl games the team isn’t focused or just doesn’t care. We place great emphasis on these bowl games but other than a playoff game it doesn’t matter.

Reactions: McDad
A Ohio State WR has said he is skipping the playoffs to get ready for the combines.

Brian Kelly left ND last year at the end of November and ND went down a couple spots in the the cfp poll because their reason was a loss of a key staff member.
ETC.
The coaches leave early because of recruiting and early signing periods and players can enter the portal whenever and numerous times in their career. It is just a mess IMO.

Coaches are “opting out”. I guess we should hold the players to a higher standard.

ETC.

Tbf to that particular example, that one is a bit more understandable as he's been hurt most of the year and I don't think he was going to be healed enough to actually contribute much.

Reactions: volwindy and Raebo
Don't like when it creates crap bowl games, watching LSU play last year in a bowl with just thirty something scholarship players was not a watchable game. Oklahoma killing Florida with Kyle Trask and no weapons was not an entertaining game. Look at his year the committee said even though we were on top of Alabama of all the states metrics but they said well Hooker is hurt. So they get raked in front of us and the Sugar bowl and now what if Bryce Young says he is sitting out. I know we got the Orange bowl but what if we had gone to Cotton. The suck factor of it goes way up.

Reactions: Jeff Clark
If it’s not playoffs what’s the point.
Sadly, this reductionist thinking prevails.
I wasn’t even disappointed we didn’t get the Sugar bowl, and that used to move the needle more than anything. When I enrolled at UT, winning the NC wasn’t even that important. Winning the SEC and going to the sugar bowl was the aim. That’s gone.
Not sure how to process. Ut has opportunity to beat a great opponent and finish in top 5. But our best player is out and may have many more sit out. Pisses me off.

VN Store

Back