Where do you stand on players opting out of post-season games (with no injuries) to "prepare for the draft"?

Post-season opt outs (with no injury)

• Total voters

KnoxRealtorVOL

First of his name
I have to say... I am firmly in the "I hate it" category.

I totally get that you want to not risk getting injured, but you aren't the only reason you have a shot at the NFL, your team had a lot to do with that as well. Are you a QB who the NFL wants in the first round? Well a big part of your success was your line blocking for you, and your receivers catching the ball. Are you a receiver? Your line blocked for your QB, who then threw you the ball.

Jauan Jennings will forever be a legend to this program, and hell would freeze over before that dude would ever sit out a post-season game. He had too much pride in himself and his team to abandon them, that's who you want on your team.

An example would be Alontae Taylor. I genuinely believe Heup finishes his first year at 8-5 with a bowl win if Alontae doesn't sit out. After his coaches/team helped him get some NFL attention, he costed them a loss and a disappointing end to a fun season.

Maybe I'm just old fashioned, but you stay until the job is done. See this thing through with your team, you're all in this together.

I am firmly in the player doing what’s best for themselves and their family so long as it’s not a playoff game. They’ve given so much to the program at that point and can give so much more to the program by going pro and being drafted highly. Recruits look more at how many and who you had drafted than they do a meaningless bowl game.

I totally get that you want to not risk getting injured, but you aren't the only reason you have a shot at the NFL, your team had a lot to do with that as well. Are you a QB who the NFL wants in the first round? Well a big part of your success was your line blocking for you, and your receivers catching the ball. Are you a receiver? Your line blocked for your QB, who then threw you the ball.

Jauan Jennings will forever be a legend to this program, and hell would freeze over before that dude would ever sit out a post-season game. He had too much pride in himself and his team to abandon them, that's who you want on your team.

An example would be Alontae Taylor. I genuinely believe Heup finishes his first year at 8-5 with a bowl win if Alontae doesn't sit out. After his coaches/team helped him get some NFL attention, he costed them a loss and a disappointing end to a fun season.

Maybe I'm just old fashioned, but you stay until the job is done. See this thing through with your team, you're all in this together.

Alontae Taylor was legitimately banged up and has benefited greatly from getting healthy. You can’t blame a loss on a corner. He was one of 24 starters, he didn’t make guys not tackle and play soft against Purdue. Purdue’s best receiver didn’t play either . Forget opt out and poor officiating, We Blew The Game. Period

How many fans have ever played major college football? Played in pain, barely been able to walk after a game, had medical attention or rehab after playing?

It’s laughable that some question the integrity of those that have given far more to the program than we ever have. Some of these kids can make life changing money bc of the sacrifices they’ve made for this program.

Alontae Taylor was legitimately banged up and has benefited greatly from getting healthy. You can’t blame a loss on a corner. He was one of 24 starters, he didn’t make guys not tackle and play soft against Purdue. Purdue’s best receiver didn’t play either . Forget opt out and poor officiating, We Blew The Game. Period

If he was banged up then I'm happy to change my perspective on that. I don't remember hearing anything about him being injured, if I recall correctly he wanted to play in the Senior Bowl, I could be wrong though.

But as tight as that game was, and as much offense as there was, yes losing our best corner absolutely costed us that game.

I see both sides of the argument. I find my self wishing, especially for NY6 bowls, playoff, and National Championship Game, that an insurance policy could be purchased that would protect them financially should they get hurt and lose an NFL career.

If he was banged up then I'm happy to change my perspective on that. I don't remember hearing anything about him being injured, if I recall correctly he wanted to play in the Senior Bowl, I could be wrong though.

But as tight as that game was, and as much offense as there was, yes losing our best corner absolutely costed us that game.
They played without their best WR. I’d say we’re square. I’m not saying that I like that he sat out, but I get it. It’s the Music City Bowl. Why risk further injury for a mid-level bowl?

I understand its if not a playoff game and you are a prospect with nothing to prove and only the risk of injury. If I was a high value kid I'd insist on a Lloyd's of London High Limit Professional Athlete Income Protection policy, buffers against risk and catastrophic injures are rare.

Reactions: McDad
I would only be upset if we had a spot in the playoffs. Otherwise I appreciate all you've done for the Vols and go get that money young man!

Reactions: sami and McDad

Personally feel any Senior who stuck around during the Pruitt situation, survived Hype's rapid rebuild, and plays in the bowl should be given due respect from all the fanbase. May also be due an apology from some posters on this board.

Don't love it, but I understand. Completely depends on the situation though. I hope Hyatt plays to finish out the season strong and possibly break the record, but it's high risk-low reward for him. Now if someone like Byron Young (not meant as a shot at him) opted out, it wouldn't make any sense because he needs to do everything he can to improve his draft stock. Hyatt's stock will never be higher.

if the post game is not for a championship the players gain no value from participating and risk compromising their future. I;ve no problem with players not participating in a game where half the time the team is not focused on the game anyway.

Players not playing can move forward with getting an agent and beginning to prepare (work out) for the combines and workouts for NFL teams. It really is a no brainer in my opinion.

I was firmly in the camp of 'hate it 100%'.
Then I thought to myself after the USCe debacle, what if that had been a non-CFP bowl game where Hooker got injured?

1st to 2nd round pick would have been injured playing a bowl game that had little to no meaning and destroyed his chances at being drafted.
So yeah, if it's not a CFP game and the guy has information that he is going 1st, 2nd, or even early 3rd round in the draft, I'm good with him sitting it out.

I don’t like it, but I understand why some choose to sit out. What if players start sitting out regular season games? If a guaranteed first rounder opted out of our end-of-season game against Vandy, how would it be perceived? I do not support regular season sit-outs, but there isn’t much of a difference between the last regular season game and a bowl game if a team isn’t going to the playoffs.

Reactions: Orange12

VN Store

Back