What was the reason Jeremy Banks was out?

All the rumors notwistanding, I believe the root cause of the poor defensive performance was more between their ears than between their legs. And that includes coaching too.

Yeah, the players even said in interviews that they overlooked SC and once Spencer started out having a trophy style game I just think they couldn’t get mentally regrouped. Coaches got caught off guard with stuff SC had never shown on film and while you can make what you think should be all the right calls, your mentally checked out players are not going to execute plays worth a damn.

The idea that Banks being withheld for discipline is the reason we got destroyed is so ridiculous it boggles my mind.

Banks might have a bit more disruptive, broke up a few drives and helped keep maybe a touchdown or two off the board, but Spencer hasn’t played like that since coming out of high school to Oklahoma.
Dude had a red hot arm Saturday night and we aren’t good enough on the back end to stop all his near perfect passes.

Reactions: youcancallmeAl
If Banks decided to sit out the game on his own, there’s still gonna be a lot of locker room issues and he shouldn’t be allowed back.

With that being said…I’m done seeing so many stories on all of this no one knows is true or not. We should just let it go. What happened Saturday would have happened with or without Banks the way SC and we played

I gotta disagree. It HAD to matter. Our D is bad, but not 63 points to a team averaging under 30 points a game bad. That had just failed to score a TD against Florida.

If Banks decided to sit out the game on his own, there’s still gonna be a lot of locker room issues and he shouldn’t be allowed back.

With that being said…I’m done seeing so many stories on all of this no one knows is true or not. We should just let it go. What happened Saturday would have happened with or without Banks the way SC and we played

It will be very interesting to see if Banks plays against Vanderbilt Saturday night.

Reactions: Jax_Vol
If wut is true?

At this point, there is so many wild guesses going on, I doubt we ever know the story.

And really, we have no right to know. It is close to PPI.

Well whatever happens, the best course of action is to listen to as many 2nd and 3rd hand stories and media reports generated from them that we form the most negative opinion possible, knee jerk wildly, and look for wholesale program overthrows. That's the way to handle this.

Reactions: Jax_Vol
Well whatever happens, the best course of action is to listen to as many 2nd and 3rd hand stories and media reports generated from them that we form the most negative opinion possible, knee jerk wildly, and look for wholesale program overthrows. That's the way to handle this.

We are working that plan of attack

Reactions: livefaith
I gotta disagree. It HAD to matter. Our D is bad, but not 63 points to a team averaging under 30 points a game bad. That had just failed to score a TD against Florida.
Do you think having banks there would have kept them from scoring ~30pts more than us?

Unfortunately, I expect a loss on Saturday as well. And I wouldn’t be surprised if it is by multiple scores.

I hope I’m pleasantly surprised, and if I am, it will be a masterful coaching job.
Masterful would have been to coach us to a win vs SCjr and still be in the playoff hunt. I'll say it again...if this team couldn't get up for SCjr with the playoffs on the line, I have a hard time seeing them get up for Vandy with maybe the cotton to play for.

Masterful would have been to coach us to a win vs SCjr and still be in the playoff hunt. I'll say it again...if this team couldn't get up for SCjr with the playoffs on the line, I have a hard time seeing them get up for Vandy with maybe the cotton to play for.
Let me ask you this, if we lose to Vandy do you feel like we made any progress?

You’re never confident in anything so I’m not surprised by your takes.

Why even bother following sports with that attitude?
Some snowflakes want folks to agree with them no matter what...blow orange sunshine up their keesters. Others prefer to look a situation thru the lens of reality and form their own opinions. I choose the latter camp. I'll be around to eat crow if this team turns it around and wins out. Hope I get to do just that

Why in the hell would ANYONE miss practice with what was on the line ?
Exactly. Yeah, not having Banks hurt us, but he's one player. How do you explain the other 10 plus backups. Everyone played like dog doo doo. We coached like dog doo doo. One would think that when a prominent player goes down, everyone else around him steps up their game to make up for his absence. This team did the exact opposite and that's a big red flag.

If there really was an altercation, it really makes me sad that the team couldn’t put it enough behind them to come together and perform. We’ve heard since last season how much they love one another and it was a big factor in the teams success. So why allow an argument to derail that? Better pull your big boy pants up, kiss and make up! That said, JB is pretty much the qb of the defense and him missing was likely also a contributing factor of the loss. If he’s out again Saturday, I hope they have someone else ready to step up. We need it.

Let me ask you this, if we lose to Vandy do you feel like we made any progress?
I think we had some big wins that broke some streaks that were really messing with the players and fans mindset. That alone made this season a step in the right direction. If this team somehow gets this thing back on course and beats vandy and our bowl opponent, it will be huge. At this point, beating vandy is non-negotiable. If we lose that game, I don't see this team being able to recover. Our so-called leaders have been Hooker and Banks respectively. Hooker is out. Banks is off course. Where does this team look for leadership on the field when things go against it? I'm not seeing that player.

Every UT fan, on this site, was talking about UT boatracing SC because they were hot garbage. They had no offense or defense and the game was gonna be a pushover. It seems a large portion of our players thought the same thing and thought SC was gonna just lay down. I tend to believe this version of the story. We are no where ready to challange anyone for a National Championship in Heupel's second year. It's gonna take more than two years to build a National Championship team.
Yep. The minute I see certain key words/phrases that include boat race, skull drag, trash or hot garbage, I dismiss that post out of hand. On any given day, a team can get whipped if it doesn't come to play. It could be N. Tex, Memphis St, Rutgers, Ga State, App state...no matter. But when you're facing an SEC opponent on the road, you damned well better be ready for a real fight. You let that opponent start feeling good and gain confidence and you're asking for trouble. By the time you wake up to the fact that you're in trouble, it's hard to really turn the jets back on and take control. I'm starting to look at this years team like Mike Tyson. He was considered invincible. He thought he was invincible. Then he meets Douglas and gets lit up. Now all of a sudden all the opponents know he's fallible and can be beaten. Worse yet, HE knows he can be beaten. Now it's not so easy. Now he's got to prepare like he's the underdog. Now he knows he's got to fight hard to win. That's pretty much where I see us now. What will our response be? I know what I expect to happen, and I sincerely hope I'm proven completely wrong.

Yep. The minute I see certain key words/phrases that include boat race, skull drag, trash or hot garbage, I dismiss that post out of hand. On any given day, a team can get whipped if it doesn't come to play. It could be N. Tex, Memphis St, Rutgers, Ga State, App state...no matter. But when you're facing an SEC opponent on the road, you damned well better be ready for a real fight. You let that opponent start feeling good and gain confidence and you're asking for trouble. By the time you wake up to the fact that you're in trouble, it's hard to really turn the jets back on and take control. I'm starting to look at this years team like Mike Tyson. He was considered invincible. He thought he was invincible. Then he meets Douglas and gets lit up. Now all of a sudden all the opponents know he's fallible and can be beaten. Worse yet, HE knows he can be beaten. Now it's not so easy. Now he's got to prepare like he's the underdog. Now he knows he's got to fight hard to win. That's pretty much where I see us now. What will our response be? I know what I expect to happen, and I sincerely hope I'm proven completely wrong.

Mike Tyson's real problem was less Buster Douglas than it was his getting tangled up with Robin Givens. Just the same, your take has plenty of accuracy in it. As far as our SC lost, this is the SEC. On any given Saturday, like you said, you don't come to play, you get your booty bounced.

Reactions: SpookyAction
Banks is a senior with a lot of experience. Hard to replace that with the lack of depth.
Very true, but with him being a senior and having that experience, it makes it even more difficult to understand how he would allow something/anything to get in the way of him being in such an important game. The college football playoffs were right there for the taking. A veteran leader wouldn't allow anyone on the team to stray from the course much less that veteran leader doing it himself. At some point, I think we just need to understand and accept who and what Banks is. He's always been volatile. The question now is how far do you go with him? At some point, I'm going to consider my culture and locker room and protect them.

Banks might have a bit more disruptive, broke up a few drives and helped keep maybe a touchdown or two off the board, but Spencer hasn’t played like that since coming out of high school to Oklahoma.
Dude had a red hot arm Saturday night and we aren’t good enough on the back end to stop all his near perfect passes.
Helped that his receivers were wide open.

I think we had some big wins that broke some streaks that were really messing with the players and fans mindset. That alone made this season a step in the right direction. If this team somehow gets this thing back on course and beats vandy and our bowl opponent, it will be huge. At this point, beating vandy is non-negotiable. If we lose that game, I don't see this team being able to recover. Our so-called leaders have been Hooker and Banks respectively. Hooker is out. Banks is off course. Where does this team look for leadership on the field when things go against it? I'm not seeing that player.
I’m referring to general outlook on the program. Every year brings new leaders to the forefront

Mike Tyson's real problem was less Buster Douglas than it was his getting tangled up with Robin Givens. Just the same, your take has plenty of accuracy in it. As far as our SC lost, this is the SEC. On any given Saturday, like you said, you don't come to play, you get your booty bounced.
Tyson also fired Kevin Rooney his trainer who had kept Tyson to concentrate focus on boxing skills and motivation. Then there was the Don King negative influence.

Last edited:

VN Store

Back