Recruiting Forum Football Talk V

Status
Not open for further replies.
People downplay the defense because of our offense, but I want to be great on both sides of the ball. I've always been a big defense guy. I like offense. I really like our offense. But defense is where my heart is.

But we’re not gonna be that with our personnel in the secondary. Our offensive philosophy already puts pressure on our defense. For now we need them to make the 1 extra play or stop.

25/8 8.3 ypa 3 rushing TDs was his best season

157 qbr

All with Garner/Stewart running (da**!)

And a TOP defense allowing 14.6 ppg

Vs

HH just put up 31/3 9.7 YPA 5 rushing TDs

181 qbr

With a pretty mediocre defense that couldn't get the ball back or put the offense in plus-position to save its life and nothing close to Garner/Stewart beside him
I dont care about any of that, I know what I saw/see.

You said it yourself, it's getting harder and harder comparing eras and schemes, then proceed to produce numbers from different eras and schemes. Today, the offense starts with Hooker; everything is generated thru him...that wasn't the case in '93. Even though Shuler was the best player, everything hinged on the running game, running game, running game and our RBs, that included Charlie Garner, James Stewart, Mose Phillips, Aaron Hayden, and Jay Graham. With a stable like that, dont have to ask the QB to do as much. Shuler would absolutely eat in Heupel's offense, more so than Manning would.

Not taking ANYTHING away from Hooker, nothing at all; but, Shuler was a generational talent back then, and would be today. His game would not only endure today, but escalate. Whenever it comes to arm strength/talent, Joe Milton is the only one that compares. Shuler would feast with Heupel's Go Routes with his arm and accuracy.

I will say this, Devo...if Hooker keeps this pace, or even if he just drops off a bit, I'll change my tune; he will most definitely be mentioned with Manning and Shuler imo. Let's revisit after season.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back