'22 Recruiting Forum: Official Florida Pregame/Game Thread

Unless we figure something out this week and make major changes on defense, we will struggle mightily to slip by LSU, which means we will contain their QB, and let's face it, that AINT happening... L's are Bama, GA, and playing KY away is another rivalry which will go down to the wire. SC will MUCH closer than people want it.

So, no CFP--- Two years from now, if we keep up the recruiting pace, I will say Hell yeah we will be in the CFP!
I seem negative, but I'm just being realistic and not sugar coating things... Love the staff overall and we are gonna get there, but we aren't there yet because our Defense just doesn't have the talent yet. Unfortunately this is our achilles heel and will equal a few losses this season.
Unless you figure something out this week, you will continue to be the worst poster on the board. Tough scene, but it is true.

Unless we figure something out this week and make major changes on defense, we will struggle mightily to slip by LSU, which means we will contain their QB, and let's face it, that AINT happening... L's are Bama, GA, and playing KY away is another rivalry which will go down to the wire. SC will MUCH closer than people want it.

So, no CFP--- Two years from now, if we keep up the recruiting pace, I will say Hell yeah we will be in the CFP!
I seem negative, but I'm just being realistic and not sugar coating things... Love the staff overall and we are gonna get there, but we aren't there yet because our Defense just doesn't have the talent yet. Unfortunately this is our achilles heel and will equal a few losses this season.
I know I’ve been SUPER critical of the D, even after the W…. But I don’t think SC will be close. If so, we got BIG problems. People are expecting us to compete with Bama and UGA (not necessarily win this yr). SC just got waxed 48-7 by UGA. We either wax SC too or we get our barn doors blown off by UGA. There’s no in between there.

KY is in our house.

We know that our talent in the secondary is lacking. Burrell is decent in coverage but doesn't have the size or speed to make plays against good WRs and shouldn't be in the SEC, Tank is good in run support but slow in coverage, Flowers is fairly good all around but is not great at anything (he still makes some plays but somebody has too. The only real talent I've seen back there is Hadden, TMac and Christian Charles. Slaughter has flashed at times but not much of a sample size. Jourdan Thomas looks like he will be good in a year or two. Not sure what is up with Turrentine, Rucker, Turnage and Wesley Walker and Dee Williams but they either aren't ready or just aren't very good. We have a solid pash rush but not elite so we will have games where we give up pass plays due to a lack of talent and consistent rush. Banks schemes up pressure but that always leaves someone open, usually a TE, RB kicking out or a slot receiver. We don't have enough guys with speed and physicality to play consistent press man so we mix in zone and play a "bend don't break" game out of necessity.

Our offense is good enough to win with a top 50 defensive effort and we do have good defensive conditioning and enough depth to keep up a consistent effort throughout the game. I'd love for an elite D but we are probably 2 years away from that. That doesn't change that our aggressive scheme and playcalling is solid and is masking a lot of flaws and will be a lot to handle once we have the horses.

People complained about Heupel not knowing last year when to slow down and play some ball control. He has adapted and is doing a good job with it this year. We were up by 3 scores with less than 5 minutes and UF with 1 timeout. We had their defense tired and had the ability to milk the clock and put UF in a spot where they needed a miracle. The odds in that situation are fantastic and we did a good job of executing that gameplan and limiting the possibility for a disastrous mistake that improved their odds. So yeah, I'm fine with how we ended the game. It's not like we used that strategy earlier in the 4th like we saw BUTCH do and even Fulmer and Chavis do.
Did you see Turnage play yesterday? He was absolutely lost and pulled out of the game….. Burrell is 6’190 and runs a 4.5 40….. that should be good enough in the SEC…. I think we missed him yesterday…. In games watching it live…. It looked like we rolled our coverages to provide help to our less experienced DBs…. Either way….We have to get better in our secondary.

Reactions: TurnoverTrashCan
I dont really get a lot of the praise for Napier. That was way beyond aggressive and into reckless the way they called the game. Now it worked out for them, because it always does when we play florida, but he's taking way too many low probability shots that basically lose the game if you don't land them all. He did similar things against Utah, which again worked out, but it will catch up with him.

Its worked in two games but I guarantee its going to get them flat blown out at some point, and will result in losing to someone they have no business losing to if they approach games that way.
Already has cost them. In the UK game, he went for a 4th down on his own 30 with 4 mins left that they didn’t get. Resulted in a field goal for UK that made it a 2 score game (and eventual victory). Neither offense was dominant that day. Should’ve punted and tried to play field position

“Unfortunately” this will equal a few losses.

Did anyone think we were gonna be a NC team in Heup’s 2nd year? Shiiiiiiii I love the way this team plays. All these games are about to be crazy exciting.

biggest glaring shortfall on D yesterday--- I believe they converted all but 1 4th downs, one ending in a TD... The good thing is most teams won't go for it that many times (although many might now that they see we can't stop it), but that was horrible--- if we were able to stop even half of the 4th downs, the score would have looked a lot different at the end of the game.
I thought you threw a huge fit and said you were done.

Reactions: drvenner
“Unfortunately” this will equal a few losses.

Did anyone think we were gonna be a NC team in Heup’s 2nd year? Shiiiiiiii I love the way this team plays. All these games are about to be crazy exciting.
He suffers from what I suffered from during the 1990’s….. he doesn’t have the ability to live in and enjoy the moment.

Reactions: CABVOL and MarcoVol
biggest glaring shortfall on D yesterday--- I believe they converted all but 1 4th downs, one ending in a TD... The good thing is most teams won't go for it that many times (although many might now that they see we can't stop it), but that was horrible--- if we were able to stop even half of the 4th downs, the score would have looked a lot different at the end of the game.
The 4th downs were not the problem. Giving up huge yards on 3rd and long to make all those 4th downs easy conversions was the problem.

Reactions: franklinpence
I dont really get a lot of the praise for Napier. That was way beyond aggressive and into reckless the way they called the game. Now it worked out for them, because it always does when we play florida, but he's taking way too many low probability shots that basically lose the game if you don't land them all. He did similar things against Utah, which again worked out, but it will catch up with him.

Its worked in two games but I guarantee its going to get them flat blown out at some point, and will result in losing to someone they have no business losing to if they approach games that way.
They tie the game easily if he hadn't been a moron by going for 2.

1664119073891.gif

Would have needed one more completion to get in FG range. Maybe could have. I guess he might have hit like a 56 yard FG.
They would have called plays for a fg that last drive. The way our secondary was playing they'd have easily gone 30 yards in 16 seconds

VN Store

Back