'22 Recruiting Forum: Official Florida Pregame/Game Thread

Yikes man, if you think the Defensive game plan was extremely solid, Ima need to check back in with you down the schedule when good passing teams light our ass up... We are not going to be able to go through the season just outscoring everyone and giving up almost 500 yds on Defense... And you were good with running it up the middle 3 times to turn the ball over so that they could go straight down and score a TD in 38 seconds? You must look at the game differently and that's cool...

We won.

Yikes man, if you think the Defensive game plan was extremely solid, Ima need to check back in with you down the schedule when good passing teams light our ass up... We are not going to be able to go through the season just outscoring everyone and giving up almost 500 yds on Defense... And you were good with running it up the middle 3 times to turn the ball over so that they could go straight down and score a TD in 38 seconds? You must look at the game differently and that's cool...

We won.

We know that our talent in the secondary is lacking. Burrell is decent in coverage but doesn't have the size or speed to make plays against good WRs and shouldn't be in the SEC, Tank is good in run support but slow in coverage, Flowers is fairly good all around but is not great at anything (he still makes some plays but somebody has too. The only real talent I've seen back there is Hadden, TMac and Christian Charles. Slaughter has flashed at times but not much of a sample size. Jourdan Thomas looks like he will be good in a year or two. Not sure what is up with Turrentine, Rucker, Turnage and Wesley Walker and Dee Williams but they either aren't ready or just aren't very good. We have a solid pash rush but not elite so we will have games where we give up pass plays due to a lack of talent and consistent rush. Banks schemes up pressure but that always leaves someone open, usually a TE, RB kicking out or a slot receiver. We don't have enough guys with speed and physicality to play consistent press man so we mix in zone and play a "bend don't break" game out of necessity.

Our offense is good enough to win with a top 50 defensive effort and we do have good defensive conditioning and enough depth to keep up a consistent effort throughout the game. I'd love for an elite D but we are probably 2 years away from that. That doesn't change that our aggressive scheme and playcalling is solid and is masking a lot of flaws and will be a lot to handle once we have the horses.

People complained about Heupel not knowing last year when to slow down and play some ball control. He has adapted and is doing a good job with it this year. We were up by 3 scores with less than 5 minutes and UF with 1 timeout. We had their defense tired and had the ability to milk the clock and put UF in a spot where they needed a miracle. The odds in that situation are fantastic and we did a good job of executing that gameplan and limiting the possibility for a disastrous mistake that improved their odds. So yeah, I'm fine with how we ended the game. It's not like we used that strategy earlier in the 4th like we saw BUTCH do and even Fulmer and Chavis do.

We know that our talent in the secondary is lacking. Burrell is decent in coverage but doesn't have the size or speed to make plays against good WRs and shouldn't be in the SEC, Tank is good in run support but slow in coverage, Flowers is fairly good all around but is not great at anything (he still makes some plays but somebody has too. The only real talent I've seen back there is Hadden, TMac and Christian Charles. Slaughter has flashed at times but not much of a sample size. Jourdan Thomas looks like he will be good in a year or two. Not sure what is up with Turrentine, Rucker, Turnage and Wesley Walker and Dee Williams but they either aren't ready or just aren't very good. We have a solid pash rush but not elite so we will have games where we give up pass plays due to a lack of talent and consistent rush. Banks schemes up pressure but that always leaves someone open, usually a TE, RB kicking out or a slot receiver. We don't have enough guys with speed and physicality to play consistent press man so we mix in zone and play a "bend don't break" game out of necessity.

Our offense is good enough to win with a top 50 defensive effort and we do have good defensive conditioning and enough depth to keep up a consistent effort throughout the game. I'd love for an elite D but we are probably 2 years away from that. That doesn't change that our aggressive scheme and playcalling is solid and is masking a lot of flaws and will be a lot to handle once we have the horses.

People complained about Heupel not knowing last year when to slow down and play some ball control. He has adapted and is doing a good job with it this year. We were up by 3 scores with less than 5 minutes and UF with 1 timeout. We had their defense tired and had the ability to milk the clock and put UF in a spot where they needed a miracle. The odds in that situation are fantastic and we did a good job of executing that gameplan and limiting the possibility for a disastrous mistake that improved their odds. So yeah, I'm fine with how we ended the game. It's not like we used that strategy earlier in the 4th like we saw BUTCH do and even Fulmer and Chavis do.
Good post

Reactions: gainesvol82
I dont really get a lot of the praise for Napier. That was way beyond aggressive and into reckless the way they called the game. Now it worked out for them, because it always does when we play florida, but he's taking way too many low probability shots that basically lose the game if you don't land them all. He did similar things against Utah, which again worked out, but it will catch up with him.

Its worked in two games but I guarantee its going to get them flat blown out at some point, and will result in losing to someone they have no business losing to if they approach games that way.

I’ll give ya the benefit of the doubt but tbh ya lost me at, “The only real talent I’ve seen is Hadden…”

Hadden is complete and utter slaw. Couldn’t cover a 5th grader. Can’t tackle. Yes, he got gifted an INT at the end but we need stud DBs in the worst way. Florida, in their own testament, probably has one of their worst receiving corps they’ve had in years and we just let them roll up 450 yds. Congrats - we got the W. We got work to do on D. We’re about to get steamrolled by Bama and UGA if we don’t get our secondary fixed asap.

Reactions: #Vol4Life1991
I dont really get a lot of the praise for Napier. That was way beyond aggressive and into reckless the way they called the game. Now it worked out for them, because it always does when we play florida, but he's taking way too many low probability shots that basically lose the game if you don't land them all. He did similar things against Utah, which again worked out, but it will catch up with him.

Its worked in two games but I guarantee its going to get them flat blown out at some point, and will result in losing to someone they have no business losing to if they approach games that way.
I don’t understand the decision to go for 2 to be down 9 instead of 10. If they’d just kicked extra points all they’d have needed is a FG to go to overtime. Strange decisions.

Reactions: Vols4us
Vols will be in the Top 10 this week. SEC East getting a bit tougher with three teams in the Top 10.

There is a decent chance the Vols make the CFP. Scenarios where the Vols make it in:

1) 12-0 regular season. Win or lose the SECCG, they're in.
2) 11-1 Beat Bama/lose to UGA, but UGA loses two conference games, Vols in the SECCG. Will have to win the SECCG. Two losses and most likely out.
3) 11-1 Beat UGA/lose to Bama, Vols in the SECCG. Will have to win the SECCG. Two losses and most likely out.
4) 11-1 Beat Bama/lose to UGA and Vols miss SECCG. If Bama wins SECCG, probably in. If UGA wins still in as Bama would have two losses.

Any other reasonable scenarios? I think 11-1, with the loss to UGA and avoiding the SECCG is the easiest path (The Bama 2017 Method). 11-1, not being in the SECCG with a little chaos in other conferences and I could see three SEC teams in. Alabama, Georgia and Tennessee. What a freaking ride!

Vols will be in the Top 10 this week. SEC East getting a bit tougher with three teams in the Top 10.

There is a decent chance the Vols make the CFP. Scenarios where the Vols make it in:

2) 11-1 Beat Bama/lose to UGA, but UGA loses two conference games, Vols in the SECCG. Will have to win the SECCG. Two losses and most likely out.
3) 11-1 Beat UGA/lose to Bama, Vols in the SECCG. Will have to win the SECCG. Two losses and most likely out.
4) 11-1 Beat Bama/lose to UGA and Vols miss SECCG. If Bama wins SECCG, probably in. If UGA wins still in as Bama would have two losses.

Any other reasonable scenarios? I think 11-1, with the loss to UGA and avoiding the SECCG is the easiest path (The Bama Method). 11-1, not being in the SECCG with a little chaos in other conferences and I could see three SEC teams in. Alabama, Georgia and Tennessee. What a freaking ride!
Don’t do this to yourself

I don’t understand the decision to go for 2 to be down 9 instead of 10. If they’d just kicked extra points all they’d have needed is a FG to go to overtime. Strange decisions.

Both HC's made strange decisions at times. Napier cost his team the potential to tie as you state. He also got extremely lucky a time or two going for it on fourth down. I have no idea what Heup was thinking while trying to run clock in the 4th quarter with his play calling. That 4th down call of a pass to Fant was bizarre. The worst receiver on the O you throw a pass to, a guy who does not even know to run his pattern deep enough to get a first down. All while a simple zone read makes the first down? C'mon man. The zone read was open all night as the DE's were crashing down inside. He ran Hook in the second half a lot, so it was not like they were protecting him after his injury.

Any other reasonable scenarios? I think 11-1, with the loss to UGA and avoiding the SECCG is the easiest path (The Bama 2017 Method). 11-1, not being in the SECCG with a little chaos in other conferences and I could see three SEC teams in. Alabama, Georgia and Tennessee. What a freaking ride!
lol slow down hoss and put the doobie down. They need to beat LSU first. There’s a good chance the bye week will steamroll this D. Still think 9-3 is where we land.

Reactions: #Vol4Life1991
lol slow down hoss and put the doobie down. They need to beat LSU first. There’s a good chance the bye week will steamroll this D. Still think 9-3 is where we land.
Lol very true
I’m hoping for best case scenario and imo that’s 10-2 and the sugar bowl……
Still think 8-4 is the the floor

Reactions: Rizzo924

No

Unless we figure something out this week and make major changes on defense, we will struggle mightily to slip by LSU, which means we will contain their QB, and let's face it, that AINT happening... L's are Bama, GA, and playing KY away is another rivalry which will go down to the wire. SC will MUCH closer than people want it.

So, no CFP--- Two years from now, if we keep up the recruiting pace, I will say Hell yeah we will be in the CFP!
I seem negative, but I'm just being realistic and not sugar coating things... Love the staff overall and we are gonna get there, but we aren't there yet because our Defense just doesn't have the talent yet. Unfortunately this is our achilles heel and will equal a few losses this season.

Reactions: GroverCleveland
biggest glaring shortfall on D yesterday--- I believe they converted all but 1 4th downs, one ending in a TD... The good thing is most teams won't go for it that many times (although many might now that they see we can't stop it), but that was horrible--- if we were able to stop even half of the 4th downs, the score would have looked a lot different at the end of the game.

Reactions: TurnoverTrashCan
Good news--- All the recruits got to see a fabulous exciting football atmosphere and hopefully want to be a part of it... If I'm Heup, I have all the Defense recruits that were there on speed dial and hit them up an hour after the game, confirming that they saw what he saw, and they could come in and instantly compete for a starting spot as a true freshman...

Unless we figure something out this week and make major changes on defense, we will struggle mightily to slip by LSU, which means we will contain their QB, and let's face it, that AINT happening... L's are Bama, GA, and playing KY away is another rivalry which will go down to the wire. SC will MUCH closer than people want it.

So, no CFP--- Two years from now, if we keep up the recruiting pace, I will say Hell yeah we will be in the CFP!
I seem negative, but I'm just being realistic and not sugar coating things... Love the staff overall and we are gonna get there, but we aren't there yet because our Defense just doesn't have the talent yet. Unfortunately this is our achilles heel and will equal a few losses this season.
What?!?! Man you are just trying to be negative and down. SC is close bahahahaha

VN Store

Back