Team News (current roster)

I think you see Phillips start alongside JJJ…

Zeigler/BJE
Vescovi/Key
Phillips/Mashack
James
Nkahmoua/Aidoo/Plav

don’t see much for Awaka & DJ

Don't think we'll see a 10 deep rotation...assuming everyone is healthy I'd shuffle your group a bit to look like this

ZZ/BJE
Santi/Key
Phillips/James
James/ORN/Phillips
Aidoo/Plav/ORN

I think you see Phillips start alongside JJJ…

Zeigler/BJE
Vescovi/Key
Phillips/Mashack
James
Nkahmoua/Aidoo/Plav

don’t see much for Awaka & DJ

Yeah, I don’t expect Awaka or DJ to play next year. At least not beyond mop up in November. We have an experienced core returning and I would prefer if we keep things to a 9-10 man rotation early and shrink it to 7-8 by the end of the season.

Reactions: b_gann
Don't think we'll see a 10 deep rotation...assuming everyone is healthy I'd shuffle your group a bit to look like this

ZZ/BJE
Santi/Key
Phillips/James
James/ORN/Phillips
Aidoo/Plav/ORN
I mean that’s 9, you just eliminated Mashack, which very well could be the case…I don’t believe Barnes has never stuck with the same 9 all year (whether injury or doghouse etc) so I doubt it happens this year.

Yeah, I don’t expect Awaka or DJ to play next year. At least not beyond mop up in November. We have an experienced core returning and I would prefer if we keep things to a 9-10 man rotation early and shrink it to 7-8 by the end of the season.
My hope as well..:feed BJE and Phillips tons of minutes early on even in mop up duty, same for Aidoo.

Reactions: RockyTop140
Think he's more project than expected and those typically only work out when they are humble enough to put in the effort. I'd say at this point the jury is still out on him. As it was pointed out he has only been here a month, even if he's working his ass off that's not enough time to close the gap if the other guys are as far ahead of him as speculated.
In addition to this, he had a bit of a whirlwind recruitment. He was offered, visited, committed, and enrolled in a matter of less than two months, and he picked Tennessee over much less appealing options.

In other words, the relationship between he and Tennessee didn't have much time to root itself deep. It's difficult to come in and not be an immediate part of the team's success and not at least have a deep relationship with your coaches to lean on. It's why we saw Diboundje bounce so quickly. These are the kinds of kids you sign at the last minute and hope the light comes on quickly. It worked with ZZ. It didn't with Diboundje. There are a lot more Diboubdje stories than there are Zeigler stories.

My biggest excitement from that post is the news about Aidoo staying healthy. I’m his second biggest fan on here; I think the only thing standing between him and being a future first round pick and big time contributor is his knees holding up

Also like everyone said, very worried about backup PG minutes. Could Key do it in a pinch? Lots of players would /can/ run point behind Z (BJ, Santi, JJJ, Key maybe), so maybe not a complete disaster. But certainly they’re all better off elsewhere

Oh and Z and BJ gonna be an awesome guard duo for the next three years. Will be fun to watch them grow together
I love the Awaka portion. Nothing I love more than a dude who rebounds the basketball like his life depended on it, thus my affinity for Oscar T.

My hope as well..:feed BJE and Phillips tons of minutes early on even in mop up duty, same for Aidoo.

Yeah, agreed. I’ve always thought it’s best to get your core prepared early. I understand why Barnes played 12 guys some games last year, but I think it’s just more important to get your best 7-8 as prepared as possible for February and March. So, I hope we keep the rotation a bit more tight this season.

I love the Awaka portion. Nothing I love more than a dude who rebounds the basketball like his life depended on it, thus my affinity for Oscar T.
A guy who plays with passion every play has my respect and support. Plus, Awaka has a very good IQ and a track record of good decision-making.

Reactions: cncchris33
I mean that’s 9, you just eliminated Mashack, which very well could be the case…I don’t believe Barnes has never stuck with the same 9 all year (whether injury or doghouse etc) so I doubt it happens this year.

Historically Barnes' teams usually have 8 or 9 that see 10 MPG or more.

Last team to have 10 players play 10 mpg or more was the 2016-17 season, but of the 11 players that got those minutes 2 of them (Mostella & Fulky) played 15 or less games on the year.

I think he'll play more than just 9 players, but for me a rotation is guys that get to play 10 or more minutes a game on average. So I think the 9 I listed are most likely to get 10 or more mpg. I think we'll see Mashack, Tobe, and possibly even DJ some this year...

I think DJ is the most likely to RS and/or transfer though. I always hope that we don't see attrition, but with how transfers work these days has to be expected.

JJJ said Awaka Day 1 was pushing as much weight as Uros too. I think he's got tons of upside potential, he's already that strong and explosive with great size...if he can develop he will be an absolute beast by his 3rd or 4th year.

JJJ said Awaka Day 1 was pushing as much weight as Uros too. I think he's got tons of upside potential, he's already that strong and explosive with great size...if he can develop he will be an absolute beast by his 3rd or 4th year.
You mean weighing that much or lifting as much?

Historically Barnes' teams usually have 8 or 9 that see 10 MPG or more.

Last team to have 10 players play 10 mpg or more was the 2016-17 season, but of the 11 players that got those minutes 2 of them (Mostella & Fulky) played 15 or less games on the year.

I think he'll play more than just 9 players, but for me a rotation is guys that get to play 10 or more minutes a game on average. So I think the 9 I listed are most likely to get 10 or more mpg. I think we'll see Mashack, Tobe, and possibly even DJ some this year...

I think DJ is the most likely to RS and/or transfer though. I always hope that we don't see attrition, but with how transfers work these days has to be expected.
If you count 9.6mpg as 10mpg then last years team did too, but I’m with you that it’s typically a set 8/9 guys and then 1-2 guys who maybe differ game to game.

If you count 9.6mpg as 10mpg then last years team did too, but I’m with you that it’s typically a set 8/9 guys and then 1-2 guys who maybe differ game to game.

Yep, and only ORN didn't play at least 30 games. We had a lot of depth last season just not much experience.

I fully understand that football is king but it would be nice to get basketball news from the best writers that cover the sport during the season. I get that there’s not a whole lot going on but a lot of the guys that cover basketball completely ignore it until late October rolls around.
Yeah, pretty annoying. Don't really hear anything from Ramey, Wilson, or Rob about hoops during the summer. Granted, there isn't a ton happening, but that doesn't stop people when it comes to football. Tons of offseason articles get written about football. Basketball? Not really any.

Reactions: Vols till I fall
Yeah, pretty annoying. Don't really hear anything from Ramey, Wilson, or Rob about hoops during the summer. Granted, there isn't a ton happening, but that doesn't stop people when it comes to football. Tons of offseason articles get written about football. Basketball? Not really any.
And to be clear, this is more an indictment on the companies that employ these writers (247, KNS, VQ) than the writers themselves. The companies dictate what direction to go and what content drives the boat.

And to be clear, this is more an indictment on the companies that employ these writers (247, KNS, VQ) than the writers themselves. The companies dictate what direction to go and what content drives the boat.
yea, basketball has a 2023 4 star top 50 recruit PV yesterday and another today, if that was football there would be multiple articles and discussions on the topic...is what it is unfortunately.

VN Store

Back