‘23 AL CB Rickey Gibson (Tennessee commit)

🤔

“Under Martinez’s leadership, Tennessee produced multiple defensive back draft picks in the first six rounds of a draft for the first time since 2000 when Jackson and Taylor heard their names called in April 2022. Taylor went pick No. 49 overall in the second round to the New Orleans Saints, while Jackson’s hometown Tennessee Titans took him in the sixth round at pick No. 204. The Vols were one of only three SEC programs and eight teams nationally to produce multiple defensive backs in the entire 2022 NFL Draft.”

Taylor was a SR. Jackson was a 5th year SR. So are you giving Martinez all the credit for their development?

AGAIN, I am saying after this season. While yes 2 DBs got drafted. How much development did Martinez actual do for those guys though? Why is it ok to question Banks but not Martinez? I am not really talking down to Martinez. Only saying that if our secondary doesn’t improve, or gets worse, it’s fair to look at Martinez coaching abilities.

I think it is always legitimate to critique coaches making the money they're making when the results aren't there. Martinez however is much more of a proven commodity than Banks. If I understand correctly, this is Bank's first time being "THE" DC.

And to me... it seemed more of a whole unit failure rather than just DB's being out of position or losing track of WR's. I still don't understand why they didn't become much more aggressive on 3rd down after so many failures.

Maybe the scheme is all good and the playcalls were fine and the players either lacked the skill or decisions to make it work... but I personally lean the other direction.

It's not Martinez's fault. Warren is just awful. Some dudes can't be coached up.
Yeah. The coaches bear blame when a guy doesn't play well and continues to play.

I haven't given up on Burrell though. Was Theo Jackson on anyone's radar this time last year? He was a "good" player but not really headed toward the NFL.

Burrell has the physical talent. I hope it clicks for him.

Yeah. The coaches bear blame when a guy doesn't play well and continues to play.

I haven't given up on Burrell though. Was Theo Jackson on anyone's radar this time last year? He was a "good" player but not really headed toward the NFL.

Yeah and I don't remember him struggling early on. He was maybe in his head late.

I like the comparison to Theo. It happens all the time where a gut becomes a great player in their senior year.

Theo, Nigel Warrior.

This year we got Flowers, McCullough and Burrell going into that senior year. Odds are at least one of them takes a big leap. I mean they'll probably all be at least a little better anyway.

Burrell played wel to start year then lost his confidence midway and never got it back

Seriously, I really don't need anymore confirmation that you don't know what the hell you're talking about; but, since you insist on obliging, knock yourself out.
Did you actually watch him play? I mean he wasn’t freshman Janoris Jenkins or 2nd year Honey Badger, but he was never an outright liability. I vividly remember the excitement our fanbase had about how bright the future was at corner in Pruitt’s 2nd season with him and Thompson. Everyone saw that the potential was there and he was a far better corner his first 2 years on campus than Burrell was last year. He just didn’t get better under Pruitt, but by no means did Martinez turn him from a scrub (which is what Burrell is) to a day 2 draft pick like people on this board suggest he did

Did you actually watch him play? I mean he wasn’t freshman Janoris Jenkins or 2nd year Honey Badger, but he was never an outright liability. I vividly remember the excitement our fanbase had about how bright the future was at corner. Everyone saw that the potential was there and he was a far better corner his first 2 years on campus than Burrell was last year. He just didn’t get better under Pruitt, but by no means did Martinez turn him from a scrub (which is what Burrell is) to a day 2 draft pick like people on this board suggest he did

Oh, so he magically got better without any coaching?

Who’s responsible for getting Taylor drafted since you’re so hell bent on Martinez?

This should be good.

Reactions: 5FingerVolPunch

Rewatch last seasons UGA and Purdue games. Everyone remembers Purdue for obvious reasons. But the UGA game was worse imo

He took such bad angles in run support.
It almost looked as if he was avoiding contact on purpose.
Couldn't cover or tackle all season.
Marsalis Teague bad...

Considering that fans hated Taylor and Theo didn't play much, yes

Disagree. In 2019 Jackson played in 12 games and 8 in 2020. So out of 22 total games in 2 years he played in 20. That’s playing a lot. You cannot attribute all of the development of Taylor and Jackson to Martinez. He definitely deserves credit for their development but so does Pruitt and Ansley. Same with Taylor.

VN Store

Back