‘23 AL CB Rickey Gibson (Tennessee commit)

Georgia has a spot for him assuming Caleb Downs goes to Bama as expected. It's going to be whoever commits first of Chris Peal or Gibson if Gibson wants to go there

Yep. Peal doesn't seem to be in a hurry and in fact will be in Raleigh visiting NCSU this weekend for their event. Also has a Michigan OV scheduled for mid Sept. So the other factor is whether UGA wants to wait on him or push for Gibson now, as a bird in hand. Then it's the ultimate question is if we can beat out UGA for him, straight up. We've been recruiting him longer and offered him earlier, he's been to Knoxville more than he has to Athens, but they're the defending champs.

I don't usually like to throw the word "need" around when talking about recruits, but I really do believe that we need both Matthews and Gibson. Tons of potential at a position where the depth might be there but the production has been sorely lacking for some time.

Those stud pass rushers we've been collecting over the last two classes won't really matter much if the WRs aren't covered.

Reactions: BoltVFL
I don't usually like to throw the word "need" around when talking about recruits, but I really do believe that we need both Matthews and Gibson. Tons of potential at a position where the depth might be there but the production has been sorely lacking for some time.

Those stud pass rushers we've been collecting over the last two classes won't really matter much if the WRs aren't covered.
I think we need two more good CBs to go along with Conyers. Matthews and Gibson seem to be the only 2 left on our board atm, so if we miss on one or both, we're going to have to identify more targets. It's not so much that it has to be them, but it probably does need to be somebody. Unless we can address it in the portal later.

Georgia is attractive, but a clearer path to playing time can be found at Tennessee IMO. So it really just depends on what Gibson wants. JMO, but if he goes to UGA, he'll eventually end up in the portal. UGA will recruit over him next year. But I'm not sure most players put a lot of thought into who really offers them a better chance at success when the sexy girl at the party asks to dance. The fact we're not currently stacking talent like they are actually makes us a better choice for this kid, IMO.

I think we need two more good CBs to go along with Conyers. Matthews and Gibson seem to be the only 2 left on our board atm, so if we miss on one or both, we're going to have to identify more targets. It's not so much that it has to be them, but it probably does need to be somebody. Unless we can address it in the portal later.

I would say we need two and then one more from the portal later. I know other names will pop up, but Matthews and Gibson are clearly at the top of the board right now since Jackson and others have committed elsewhere. Hell, they could've been at the top the whole time, so I would like to get our primary targets now. It also says a lot that UGA has turned their attention to Gibson and Matthews has a solid offer list as well.

Georgia is attractive, but a clearer path to playing time can be found at Tennessee IMO. So it really just depends on what Gibson wants. JMO, but if he goes to UGA, he'll eventually end up in the portal. UGA will recruit over him next year. But I'm not sure most players put a lot of thought into who really offers them a better chance at success when the sexy girl at the party asks to dance. The fact we're not currently stacking talent like they are actually makes us a better choice for this kid, IMO.

Don't have any insider info, but I'll put in a crystal ball for UT on this one. Not because I think UGA has or will recruit over him; he's a very good prospect, kind of reminds me of Eric Stokes in HS. Maybe it's more of a wishcast than a forecast, but I don't like overloading one position, especially in the era of permanent free agency, and Georgia has bigger needs at several other positions.

Don't have any insider info, but I'll put in a crystal ball for UT on this one. Not because I think UGA has or will recruit over him; he's a very good prospect, kind of reminds me of Eric Stokes in HS. Maybe it's more of a wishcast than a forecast, but I don't like overloading one position, especially in the era of permanent free agency, and Georgia has bigger needs at several other positions.
Kirby has no qualms about recruiting over kids.

Reactions: Smokey19rt

That's reverse....what you just said.
Edit: i mean to say the opposite of what you say is true.

They effect the QB much sooner than DBs coverage do.

Last edited:
Reactions: Smokey19rt

VN Store

Back