Recruiting Forum Football Talk IV

Status
Not open for further replies.
College basketball, IMO, is the hardest sport to win a championship. Baseball is a close 2nd, only because you get a 2nd chance. Basketball requires those 6 perfect games.
More so than football? At least in basketball you can lose several games during the course of the season and stay alive.

Or do you just mean the postseason aspect in general? Which I totally agree with you on.

Last edited:
Reactions: VolsDoc81TX
Baseball is the hardest sport to win a championship in. Period.
Great season and disappointing finish, but nothing to lower your head over.
This.

I think about it like this - Mississippi State is a baseball school with the largest stadium in college baseball. Bigger than most minors stadiums. They have a historied program, top 12 in all time wins, and in the last 50 years I think they're top 5-ish.

They've won the SEC regular season 17 times but the SEC tournament only 7 times. 4/7 of those titles they didn't win the regular season.

NCAA tournament 39 appearances, 12 CWS appearances. 1 runner-up, and 1 national title (last year).

Let's look at some more -
Texas - 39 CWS apps, 6 runner-ups, 6 titles
Stanford - 17 CWS apps, 3 runner-ups, 2 titles
LSU - 18 CWS apps, 1 runner-up, 6 titles
Arkansas - 11 CWS apps, 2 runner-ups, 0 titles
Virginia - 5 CWS apps, 1 runner-up, 1 title *all apps 2009 or later*
Vanderbilt - 5 CWS apps, 2 runner-ups, 2 titles *all apps 2011 or later*
Florida- 12 apps, 2 runner-ups, 1 title
Arizona State - 22 apps, 5 runner-ups, 5 titles

Average: 18.6 apps, 2.5 runner-ups, 2.6 titles

That's with the recent success of outliers like Vandy and Virginia who've made incredible runs the last decade.

We talk about baseball being the ultimate game of numbers and stats and averages etc. That's an ultimate example. For every 19 apps, 3 runner-ups, 3 titles. Give or take from that group of schools.

Tennessee: 4 SEC regular season titles, 4 tournament titles, 12 NCAA appearances, 5 CWS appearances, 1 national runner up (1951).

Statistically speaking, we are right on course.

TV is going to get us back to Omaha and I believe he's going to turn us into one of baseball's premier programs. I hope he's here for another 20 years then retires. I think we can have a run like UVA and Vandy have had recently.

But statistically, if he is here 20 more years and gets us to Omaha half of those (consider Texas has played 128 seasons and goes to the CWS 30% of those) ... if we earn just 1 runner up and 1 national title that would be considered a rate on par/ahead with the greatest programs and peer/rival programs.

This.

I think about it like this - Mississippi State is a baseball school with the largest stadium in college baseball. Bigger than most minors stadiums. They have a historied program, top 12 in all time wins, and in the last 50 years I think they're top 5-ish.

They've won the SEC regular season 17 times but the SEC tournament only 7 times. 4/7 of those titles they didn't win the regular season.

NCAA tournament 39 appearances, 12 CWS appearances. 1 runner-up, and 1 national title (last year).

Let's look at some more -
Texas - 39 CWS apps, 6 runner-ups, 6 titles
Stanford - 17 CWS apps, 3 runner-ups, 2 titles
LSU - 18 CWS apps, 1 runner-up, 6 titles
Arkansas - 11 CWS apps, 2 runner-ups, 0 titles
Virginia - 5 CWS apps, 1 runner-up, 1 title *all apps 2009 or later*
Vanderbilt - 5 CWS apps, 2 runner-ups, 2 titles *all apps 2011 or later*
Florida- 12 apps, 2 runner-ups, 1 title
Arizona State - 22 apps, 5 runner-ups, 5 titles

Average: 18.6 apps, 2.5 runner-ups, 2.6 titles

That's with the recent success of outliers like Vandy and Virginia who've made incredible runs the last decade.

We talk about baseball being the ultimate game of numbers and stats and averages etc. That's an ultimate example. For every 19 apps, 3 runner-ups, 3 titles. Give or take from that group of schools.

Tennessee: 4 SEC regular season titles, 4 tournament titles, 12 NCAA appearances, 5 CWS appearances, 1 national runner up (1951).

Statistically speaking, we are right on course.

TV is going to get us back to Omaha and I believe he's going to turn us into one of baseball's premier programs. I hope he's here for another 20 years then retires. I think we can have a run like UVA and Vandy have had recently.

But statistically, if he is here 20 more years and gets us to Omaha half of those (consider Texas has played 128 seasons and goes to the CWS 30% of those) ... if we earn just 1 runner up and 1 national title that would be considered a rate on par/ahead with the greatest programs and peer/rival programs.
Excellent work. I wish all of our fans could see this.

Your assumptions are correct, very much a Red! I agree with you they made the most of their opportunity, but if they are crowned the national title, it surely isn’t based on a body of work. These tournaments simply reward who gets hot at the right time of the year. I just don’t believe it is a great measuring stick for determining a champion.
I also wouldn't be shocked if Ole Miss won it all. They were ranked #1 and in the Top 5 this season for a reason. They're capable, just didn't play well through the meat of the SEC schedule.

I also wouldn't be shocked if Ole Miss won it all. They were ranked #1 and in the Top 5 this season for a reason. They're capable, just didn't play well through the meat of the SEC schedule.
Absolutely. It's all about hitting your stride and building momentum at the right time.

Crazy that Ole Miss fans were wanting a new coach just weeks ago, and now they're as prime as anyone.

College basketball, IMO, is the hardest sport to win a championship. Baseball is a close 2nd, only because you get a 2nd chance. Basketball requires those 6 perfect games.
I never understood why football got the reputation of the “mythical national champion” as though either a single elimination or double elimination tournament can truly determine the “undisputed” champion.

I never understood why football got the reputation of the “mythical national champion” as though either a single elimination or double elimination tournament can truly determine the “undisputed” champion.
Yeah clearly UGA and Bama last year were not losing to any figurative 16 seeds. Just way too big of a physical talent gap

Reactions: GoBigOrange86
Your assumptions are correct, very much a Red! I agree with you they made the most of their opportunity, but if they are crowned the national title, it surely isn’t based on a body of work. These tournaments simply reward who gets hot at the right time of the year. I just don’t believe it is a great measuring stick for determining a champion.
I disagree….. this tournament separates the men from the boys….. entirely different level of pressure and entirely different coaching during the tourney…. It sucks we loss but Ole Miss deserves it if they make it through the gauntlet(I don’t think they will). I do, however, feel like TV will eventually bring one home to Tennessee…. The future is bright in so many sports.

And Milton IS ready??

Milton had the job handed to him by Heupel. And couldn't play well enough to ever threaten to take the job back.

Football is not complicated. You play your best players. A true freshman with still developing passing skills in Tayven Jackson gives me more confidence than Milton.
Who cares if he can throw it 90 yards if he can't ever complete a deep ball?

Unaware of the game clock and situation running out of bounds against Ole Miss.

He just simply isn't a P5 QB.
You say he never threatened to take his job back, but the man who took his job is now a dark horse Heisman candidate. If you would rather see Tayven Jackson trot out if HH goes down with injury that is your choice. Did you see those 2 play in the spring scrimmage? I agree that you play your best players and those that give your team the best chance to win. Right now, that would be Milton as QB2 if Hooker goes down, and it's not even close. That's not a slight against Jackson either.

I can see Ortega going. I think that's why the SS is transferring in. There should be a spot open for him. If not I feel comfortable that he'll beatout Lawson
Every single time someone makes a negative comment about one of our players….. they go off….Luc Lipcious…. Seth Stephenson( someone said he stinks and then he started carrying us against Norte dame)…. I now look forward to Cortland Lawson winning SEC player of the year next season.

So Milton couldn't get it done at Michigan...Milton couldn't take over the reigns at UT...But for some reason Milton is gonna relive Hooker if God forbid something happens and will be fine?There's no right or wrong here just opinions but unless Hype turned him into Vick in the last few months we're screwed period.Give me Jackson let's see what he's made of everyone has seen Milton just cause kid throws a deep ball irratict as hell albeit and is 6-5 some think he's still Cam Newton being hidden smh

9-3 would be an outstanding season for the football team. I hope that's what we see happen too.

Bama/Georgia gonna be believe it when I see it wins at this point. I think LSU has a very good coach so that's less of a "give me" win than had Coach O still been there. I think they lost a ton and we can take advantage, but we shall see. Florida has always been that team that when we should beat them we don't it seems, so I don't know what to think. I hope Napier is just awful and crumbles at the P5 level...but who knows.

Kentucky or Pitt really the only other two teams I'd be worried about from the rest of the schedule.

Every single time someone makes a negative comment about one of our players….. they go off….Luc Lipcious…. Seth Stephenson( someone said he stinks and then he started carrying us against Norte dame)…. I now look forward to Cortland Lawson winning SEC player of the year next season.

If he comes back, which I hope he does, he could have a Trey Lipscomb type year. I still can’t believe that 443ft homerun in Hoover 🤯

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back