Recruiting Forum Football Talk IV

Status
Not open for further replies.
Direct Sankey quote on NIL:

I would bet my house nothing like that gets said this time despite both being public criticism issues. In fact, one is more legitimate criticism than the other, but I expect crickets.

Screw Sankey and screw the SEC.

bh187-braveheart.gif

I hate this all went down for Russell but dang if you're not giving the number one team a reason to put that chip on their shoulder. So easy to succumb to complacency when you've been on the top for as long as they have this year. This puts the "Us versus the World" mentality back in play.

As much as I would love to take ESPNs money a defamation suit is most likely not on the table here. Evan Russell would be deemed a public figure and proving malice in this situation would be incredibly difficult.
Idk if he would be deemed that as a student athlete. Not professional. I don't recall any case law that would deem it so. Maybe there is.

Defamation is hard to begin with.

From Baseball Forum

ESPN as usual open mouth insert both feet. Let's see if anything happens to these announcers but I would expect a little slap on the wrist and then pat them on the head and said, now you boys behave at the game tonight. ESPN hurt themselves when they decided to be more political than a sport network.

Even with all this Evan Russell news, I’m trying to understand Arkansas fans and their newfound obsession with Tennessee. It happened during basketball season too. Is it because their athletics has been in turmoil like us and don’t like Tennessee stealing the spotlight on its rise back? Are we stealing their thunder from their baseball program and the fact that they haven’t won a CWS and we’re closer to winning one irks them?

Idk if he would be deemed that as a student athlete. Not professional. I don't recall any case law that would deem it so. Maybe there is.

Defamation is hard to begin with.

Student Athlete is kind of negated by NIL here. If you can get money off your name, image and likeness then it’d be hard to say you’re not a public figure.

The point was people were saying how horrible the arky fan is for making up a rumor. We make up rumors all the time.
I'm kinda with you here. We made fun of McElwain for lying naked on a shark (wasn't him), spread rumors Lane slept with Saban's daughter, and we publicized Ubben selling cigs to kids.

The problem here isn't the rumor itself from a nobody fan on the black hole that is Twitter dot com. (Unless it is, then we have to admit our sins too). It's that someone who was supposed to be held to a higher standard, someone who is nationally broadcasted, live on-air, and who is expected only to spread truth and not speculation reported something as fact that was a made-up rumor.

As much as I would love to take ESPNs money a defamation suit is most likely not on the table here. Evan Russell would be deemed a public figure and proving malice in this situation would be incredibly difficult.
I think that would be the primary basis for argument. Defamation clearly occurred, its whether or not he's a public figure, malic intent, or it did/could have cost him income.

I think both sides would have decent arguments. I hadn't considered Clay's take here that even the speculation that the athlete might be involved with PEDs could drop him on draft boards... right before the draft.

Good morning Vols. Followed 3 cars in from Knox Co this morning in Ebro.
Haha I hate you so much rite now...I'm staring at a 2ft high field and my neighbor is freaking 60 something and feels the need to sunbathe.Yea ur guess is as good as mine on that one her skin looks like it make some nice boots lol but what I wouldn't give to be on a beach somewhere.

Wow what's worst of all is he was dealing with anxiety and now has all this crap has been swirling about him. That never helps. Bad anxiety is the absolute worst. And yes, debilitating. Hope he gets the help he needs.
Is there a source saying this was anxiety/panic disorder/depression-related?

Reactions: SweetasSoda
Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back