Recruiting Forum Football Talk IV

Status
Not open for further replies.
Even with all this Evan Russell news, I’m trying to understand Arkansas fans and their newfound obsession with Tennessee. It happened during basketball season too. Is it because their athletics has been in turmoil like us and don’t like Tennessee stealing the spotlight on its rise back? Are we stealing their thunder from their baseball program and the fact that they haven’t won a CWS and we’re closer to winning one irks them?
They are jealous. We got Coach TV from Arkansas. since he left they haven't had the same success since. While Tennessee has been on an upwards trend and is now the big dog in the SEC.

I think that would be the primary basis for argument. Defamation clearly occurred, its whether or not he's a public figure, malic intent, or it did/could have cost him income.

I think both sides would have decent arguments. I hadn't considered Clay's take here that even the speculation that the athlete might be involved with PEDs could drop him on draft boards... right before the draft.

There’s no doubt in my mind that some of the criteria was met, and it could be harmful to Russell. The problem is, if deemed a public figure which IMO he would be, then UT/Russell would have to prove that the announcer 100% knew the statement was false and that he said it anyway to intentionally hurt Russell. That is where the burden of intentional malice becomes incredible difficult to prove.

Reactions: VolGee4 and SoilVol
There’s no doubt in my mind that some of the criteria was met, and it could be harmful to Russell. The problem is, if deemed a public figure which IMO he would be, then UT/Russell would have to prove that the announcer 100% knew the statement was false and that he said it anyway to intentionally hurt Russell. That is where the burden of intentional malice becomes incredible difficult to prove.
Then we send Roy D Mercer to whip his a$$

As much as I would love to take ESPNs money a defamation suit is most likely not on the table here. Evan Russell would be deemed a public figure and proving malice in this situation would be incredibly difficult.
Yet, as a potential MLB draft pick it could potentially cost him $$$$. ESPN needs to fire announcer at the very least

Just want to say we should be proud of UT leadership for contacting the SEC and media about the false reporting on ER and the baseVols. UT generally tends to remain quiet, but these drug and juiced bat insinuations have been an irritating topic for a while now. So kudos for making those calls and standing up for the players, who've been unfairly accused of many things.

Let's see if Sankey supports UT and responds publicly... and let's see how sincere the ESPN apology sounds. I'm guessing not very sincerely on both.
We have a great AD, now, who sticks up for us. So glad.

I tend to agree. BUT Sankey is a political animal. UT has made it easy for him to sweep everything under the rug by not pushing issues. The ball's squarely in his court now.

The growing success of UT's sports programs and NIL, and the huge fan response to both, is giving UT its moxie back. UTAD is acting like a player again. Welcome back, UT. Welcome back.
😊🧡

I find it interesting and obvious at the same time. Being a Vol fan my entire life anything that is Vols catches my attention and over the last 20 or 25 years we have been the team that ESPN hates the MOST. A few things that I have noticed:
If we have a good season there is always a negative involved.
If we have a big win there is always an excuse why we one.
If there is a team being highlighted notice the team the highlights are against.
If we as a fan base act up (which at times we do) it must be discussed to nauseam.
If we get a recruit they automatically fall 1-2 star ratings.

I'm sure there are more but these are just a few.
Peyton Manning Heisman.

Yet, as a potential MLB draft pick it could potentially cost him $$$$. ESPN needs to fire announcer at the very least

Some sort of punishment or firing I’m 100% behind. What the announcer did was incredibly negligent and harmful. The punishment just unfortunately can’t come from defamation regardless of whether it cost him $.

86302873.jpg

Ehhh ya know I'm really not sure who or what to believe in this situation.The Ped crap is just ludacris kids been a VFL for years now but ur telling me rite before the biggest games of his life he decides to pump some peds in his body Smh!Oh I believe UT could have handled it better and it probably would have squashed a bunch of this non sense.No one is to blame really just sounds like a cluster f*k but Evan and the team deserve the benefit of the doubt...
#MakeUTGreatAgain

Reactions: VolsDoc81TX
Wow Eklund actually lives in Fayetteville and is a hog fan. Siap. Not shocking, though he may just be a case of an internet grandpa. Saw the Arky fan troll tweet and thought hey it must be true if it's on the internet. I'm not aware of broadcasters having any background on journalism or reporting standards or ethics. He's a baseball analyst after all. Maybe they need some classes for those folks. If he even still has a job.

Some sort of punishment or firing I’m 100% behind. What the announcer did was incredibly negligent and harmful. The punishment just unfortunately can’t come from defamation regardless of whether it cost him $.
I just went back and listened to audio. He said NCAA was testing whole team for PEDs. First he said UT was testing whole team, then he added NCAA. He should be banned from any involvement with NCAA sports. You just cannot make those accusations without verification

Just want to say we should be proud of UT leadership for contacting the SEC and media about the false reporting on ER and the baseVols. UT generally tends to remain quiet, but these drug and juiced bat insinuations have been an irritating topic for a while now. So kudos for making those calls and standing up for the players, who've been unfairly accused of many things.

Let's see if Sankey supports UT and responds publicly... and let's see how sincere the ESPN apology sounds. I'm guessing not very sincerely on both.
Sankey is too busy ruining college football and feeding his Napoleon complex.

New ESPN contracts are also a big reason why he commands his increased salary, so...

Sankey only cares about himself and his imagined legacy he'll have after he changes the entire cfb landscape...for the worse.

Wow Eklund actually lives in Fayetteville and is a hog fan. Siap. Not shocking, though he may just be a case of an internet grandpa. Saw the Arky fan troll tweet and thought hey it must be true if it's on the internet. I'm not aware of broadcasters having any background on journalism or reporting standards or ethics. He's a baseball analyst after all. Maybe they need some classes for those folks. If he even still has a job.

You cracked the code..

Kid is probably afraid to sue ESPN because he's trying to go pro. He will depend on them.

Judging by his family's social media posts, I don't think a lawsuit is on their mind.

He's not just a Hogs fan, he PLAYED for Arkansas

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back