Recruiting Forum Football Talk IV

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hard to separate the two imo (schools and violators) when often it's being either explicitly allowed or at least implicitly looked past. More importantly, doing so completely paves the way for really bad actors. Presidents, chancellors, ADs, and coaches willing to cheat and once caught they just throw the players and/or coaches under the bus, free to start all over again clean.

Not sure what's being referenced in inconsistent punishments, but reminds me of the transfer waivers and what Tom Mars said about it as far as the transfer waivers, re: public opinion. At the end of the day the NCAA committees (which is made up of university and conference employees) can only rule based on their bylaws...bylaws that actually exist, not ones we wished suddenly did (UNC, Baylor, etc.). Imo from reading a lot of anger over rulings...not many seem to have read the bylaws or about how the infractions committee must rule. Many want fewer rules...except many of the times when people have disagreed with a ruling, it is because there was no bylaw to punish someone over. If you're talking the cheating of Bama, etc., someone would have to catch them redhanded (or a staffer turns themselves in) first.

I 100% agree rulings need to be quicker. I believe that was a major point of the new constitution. The irony is people think it's too slow...and yet want to chop its legs off. Like you said, they don't have the resources currently to do more...and to do so would cost the universities more money...are they willing to do so? The governing body needs more employees and ruling power if they are to be quicker on making decisions. But not many want that...they want their cake and to eat it too.
If the universities are involved in cheating that is one thing. I am talking administration. Then you have to deal with that. But booster chasing and then penalizing the school is just BS. Most administrations aren’t cheating and cannot possibly be expected to control grown men and women that are not working for the university. Bottom line without NIL, money still flows under the table and you will never convince be that Bama and Georgia don’t do what they want. People acting like players getting money is some new thing. Who does the NCAA think they are fooling? Their rulings have rarely been consistent. Miami got hand slapped with plenty of evidence. North Carolina got hand slapped. College football and sports in general could do better. The NCAA was never in front of the curve and now they want everyone to comply to their thinking and now want to put it back in the box. Most players just want go to school and study and play ball and get a degree. Some of the top players are working the system for what they can get. But folks acting like the old system was fair are full of it. The bama’s and Georgia’s don’t want the playing field more level. They want to keep their under the table advantages and the cronies protecting them. They want to keep their usual booster watch board on the payroll.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ulysees E. McGill
You're surprised that a Georgia fan would want it pushed back under the table? Kirby Smart graduated from the Nick Saban School on How to Cheat and Get Away With It.

Nah, I agree with everyone else; it's a done deal and no going back. Besides, I'm feeling past the point of wanting things to work they way I think they should. I can see issues looming, but I'll leave it to the younger folks to tear down institutions and reshape the future, and wish them well.

But Jeremy Banks is great because he was top 3 in the SEC in tackles 😂😂😂😂😂

And your point is??? Whether you feel Banks is a top level LB or not has nothing to do with our current need to recruit great LBers. Did we stop recruiting elite QBs when Peyton was here? If you want to rag on Banks, that’s your prerogative, but no reason to bring it into every discussion.

From the South Carolina board:

Tennessee Hype
What’s the deal? 7-5 regular season. They lost a couple on both sides of the ball. I don’t understand the hype.
People like offense. Tennessee showed they can score points w/ Hooker in Heupel's offense.
Agree. Their offense was impressive. I’m hoping sec defenses are more prepared this season and their offense takes a step back. Probably wishful thinking though.
we say that every year about Tennessee and Kentucky. Until we can beat them then believe the hype.
It’s because they scored a lot last yr in yr 1. They could be a lot better this year but who knows.
Media wants Tennessee to be good again tho so you’ll continue to hear it until they either break through or just suck
Very up and down season...much like ours.
Close losses to ACC champ Pitt, #11 Ole Miss...
Close win over #18 UK.
#18 Recruiting class with some high profile portal guys coming in.
Just as much reason for optimism as we have. Plus they blew our doors off last year.
Their offense may be really good this season.
They spend big money on NIL
They played well relative to expectations when lots of people were watching. Had they not hung with Bama for 3 quarters and instead were blown out like against UGA, I wonder if the noise would be as loud.
They have reasons for optimism just like we do. We've just got to start beating them again to stop their hype train. I'd say Kentucky is the team we've got to take care of first though, as far as regularly beating them again.
we have plenty of folks on this here board claiming 10 wins next year. they’ve got a great offense in year 2 of that system. defense will have another year in that system. not saying they’re going to win the East, but if we are a 10 win team, UT is a 10 win team.
agreed. they probably have a better shot at 10 wins than us
They return a 5th year QB who just threw for 31 TDs to 3 INTs despite splitting reps in the first handful of games. People probably just assume their defense can't be worse.
I don't know. If you followed UT's season, they were in big trouble with Milton. Had they switched to Hooker sooner they win at least 8. Hooker having a year in the system stands a chance to be really good, but DCs having a year of film can maybe find weaknesses. They are a team with the best chance to take a major step forwards OR backwards.
They are returning 4 OL starters.
Yes and sometimes replacing players is not that bad of a thing, they might have somebody behind him who is now developed and a better player or prospect
Like a Hooker in Church...
People are sweating UT
Bottom line is we need to beat them or shut up
They rang up 28 in the first quarter against us. We were done before we broke a sweat…
It look Clayton White 1 quarter to figure out that offense. 28 in the first, 17 in the next 3.
Yes, I know teams play a little different up 28. But still.
Yeah don't think your point hits. When a game is over in the first quarter then nothing else matters after that

Lol, predictable response. It always gets to this weird point where the person who is offended they aren't being believed without proof questions your origin? That step never makes sense to me.

Yes, I'm from middle TN just west of Nashville just barely within cottonmouth range. I spent my formative years recreating in West and Middle TN, and occasionally in East - and my father was from Memphis then got a wildlife biology and fisheries ecology degree from UTK. I spent 4 years in Knoxville at the University of Tennessee earning my degree, where I spent every week on the water fishing from Nickajack to Norris or hiking in the mountains or plateau. Then I moved to Mississippi where I did two years earning my master's, doing fieldwork in the delta and spending my free time hunting and fishing on central and east MS public lands and waters. Now I live in Virginia, where I live just outside cottonmouth range. Again, where I spend any free time I have in the outdoors, because outdoor persuits is literally my life. I may have mentioned this before, but I was just published in the summer issue of a North American outdoors magazine.

Incredibly, I've easily seen cottonmouths within their documented range and never outside their documented range. Just like everyone else who's a herpetology expert.

Yes, I grew up here. Tennessee is my home, and I've flown the tristar and power T proudly wherever I've gone. Yes, I heard all the stories, myths, and rumors. Rumors, myths, and stories aren't evidence, and as I've already addressed the species we are talking about is the most misidentified species of snake on the planet. I've watched people I respect as outdoorsmen point to plain-bellied watersnakes and call them cottonmouths. I've watched people call queen snakes cottonmouths on Melton Hill, and common watersnakes cottonmouths on Douglas.

I've not once called you a liar. I don't think you're making it up. You 100% believe you saw a cottonmouth. I said you were in the least misinformed and would need to provide proof before being believed. That's how it works. I explained why it was so unlikely, statistically improbable if you will, that you saw what you thought you saw. Is there a chance? Yes. But you have to prove that to back it up. You simply cannot be believed by word alone because that's not how science works.

I don't claim to be smarter than you. But I do know, without a shadow of a doubt, that I am an expert in a handful of things because this is what I spend my life doing every day. I know more about this single subject than probably (because there might be another herpetologist somewhere in here) everyone on this board.

I would not be so foolish or arrogant as to think I knew more than you at the career you have. Because you're an expert in that work and I'm not.

@Enki_Amenra I really don't want to do this all night. But you're putting a lot of words in my mouth and painting me as someone I'm not, doing things I'm not. Even going so far as to question whether or not I'm a Tennessean (which is pretty bold because we are on a Vols forum where 99% of us are or have been Tennesseans).

As I scientist, I cannot believe your word alone and its very unlikely what you claimed is true. I say that as a subject-matter expert. I am not calling you a liar.

I don't think you're a dumb redneck, and I never said that. I'm a proud hillbilly/redneck myself that became a scientist. I don't think I'm smarter than everyone else. I know what I know and what I'm an expert in.

I probably won't say more unless this just continues with unnecessary vitriol.
I just had a bad day and took you the wrong way.

I'm sorry.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back