Recruiting Forum Football Talk IV

Status
Not open for further replies.
True classic greatness that it was, Morris owes Knoblach with that fake relay. Otis Nixon doesn’t fall for that like he did for the nose candy. He was on pace for a Vince Coleman/Ricky Henderson basestealing season. Lonnie Smith did everything else well that postseason…just not the base running. 😔
I miss the old days of the stolen base….. Vince Coleman was so much fun to watch.

We are not going to change how we play….. Last years World Series saw the winning team score 8,13,and 9 runs…. There were also several homeruns hit….. Peopke get enamored with the homeruns but don’t realize how good our OB% is (.421) or the fact that we have hit 257 singles….. we are from a homerun or bust type of team.

SMH...you just want to freakin argue with me. You know that I'm not saying to change the way we play.

I am right, if the wind is blowing in at Rosenblatt, you better be able to nanufacture some runs...because there will not be balls flying out all over the place and you know it as well as I do. If you get favorable conditions, then yes it can be had...just like any stadium.

In my mind, I think the goal is to be able to do both. It's akin to the basketball team. They lived and died by the 3 ball. We had no presence in the paint and no one that could get his own shot when we needed a big bucket. You have an off night and you go home. Teams that can do more than just the 3 ball had a much better chance of cutting the nets down. Same for baseball. In a tight game with superb pitching, you have to be able to scratch out runs in other ways. Being able to hit behind a runner, move a guy over with a bunt, sac fly, etc. That's the way baseball used to be played, and I don't see them as being mutually exclusive. Being able to play small ball as they call it, is a necessary tool to have in the box if we want to make and have a real shot at winning at Omaha.
Exactly

I agree with Ulysses that I miss the old style of baseball a lot but I coach travel baseball and work with my son a lot…. I am constantly studying and learning bc I love baseball so much…. We sac bunt some(rarely) and sac flys are always in play….. The rest we will never try….. Analytics has shown that you score more runs if eliminate trying to manufacture runs from the equation…. It found that you are basically given up an out to try and get one run and that out is more valuable…. How may times has our fans wanted us to manufacture a run when we end acoring 8 runs the last three innings…. How many tubs would we have cost ourselves in those innings if we had given up outs?

Someone described an inside-out swing yesterday which is not taught anymore….They teach players to allow outside pitches to travel a little farther and drive the ball into the right center gap…. An ideal swing hits the ball from gap to gap.

Basketball analytics has taught us that thee pointers…. Layups/dunks….. free throws is how you win games…. We struggled on the last two measures of analytics.
Analytics work great...until they don't.

realized I didn't post notes from last week's Doug Mathews Big Orange Sunday show so they are combined with this weeks since he touched on the same topics:
Overall - CJH wants to build the program and doesn't view this has a stepping stone in his career. 3 months until the opening kick off. Top programs have few transfers and use the portal to meet specific needs. CJH will primarily recruit high school (make the state a priority) and use the portal to meet needs as shown by taking 10 transfers last year and only 4 scholarships (so far) this year.

Transfer Portal - May 1 was the cutoff date for transfer portal for players to be eligible for 2022 season. Tn has had several players (Willis, Fields, Nixon, etc) enter the portal but none were considered major contributors. Looking for transfers that have 3 or more years of eligibility. 2 db's are Wesley Walker (3 yrs) and Andre Turrentine (4 yrs) will be safeties/nickelbacks and will push for playing time: Bru McCoy (wr) has 3 yrs eligibility and is a big play wr. Reminds him of VJJ but is bigger though lacks VJJ's top end speed.
- 2 clear positions of need are LB and CB. No quality linebackers or cornerbacks in the portal. Most talented players are looking for NIL deals

2023 recruiting - May is evaluation month for 2023 - 2025 classes and June is a big recruiting month. Developing relationships with players and their families. Important to get athletes to camp in June and July so you can measure them, worked them out and meet their families. Of the top 20 instate recruits, 11 are either QB's or Wr's (not really positions of need). Of the next 9 (20-11), the Vols have 4 commitments and one of the remaining 5 (9-4) has an offer. Staff is doing well instate

2022 Team - Offense returns 8 of 11 starters. Need an LT and 2 WRs. LT will be either Crawford or Gerald Mincey. IF not Mincey then he will be 1st tackle in the rotation. WR starters will come from Hyatt, Calloway, Holliday, and McCoy. May be the deepest group in a long time (since the 90's). RT is solid, RB's are solid and have some playmakers,. TE is solid but some question after Fant and Warren. Depth is pretty good at most O positions with 25 players having 3 years or more eligibility. Focus of the spring was getting better in short yardage, goal line and 4 and 1 situations
Defense returns 9 of 11 starters. Glaring need at LB and concern at CB. DT is solid with a rotation of up to 6 players, DE is solid with Young's potential to be the best since Leonard Little (DM's words) . LB is an issue, thinks Jeremy Banks is good linebacker but major concern after that. Mitchell has been hurt; Beasley, Page and Garland were average at best. Thinks Jackson Hannan may earn playing time and Herring will be a player but he will be a freshman so difficult to count on him. CB - after Burrell is questionable with Kamal Hadden and Turnage potential starters. Thinks Charles is coming on but better suited for safety/nickel. Dez Williams had struggles in the spring.. Defense has 21 to 22 players with 3 or more years of eligibility. Need defensive playmakers to make plays on 3rd down so D can get off the field. This was a focus for spring drills.

Had Alan Cockrill on and he stated what many have said here. Said the Vols lacked focused at Kentucky and chased many pitches out of the zone. He thought the team believed they were going to roll this weekend and didn't do the little things or Thurs and Fri. HE was a MLB hitting instructor for 14 years and think they need to adjust their approach after 2 strikes to just get the ball in play and avoid strikeouts. Vols rely heavily on the HR and need to figure out how to create runs without the HR because good pitching can shut down power hitting. All 7 of the Vol losses have come when they have hit 1 or fewer HRs.

Last edited:
As a kid growing up I was a big fan of the triple crown races, mostly probably because Dad made race Saturday a big thing at our house. I was a junior in HS when Secretariat broke a 25 year drought since the last triple crown winner.

Anyway, I’ve watch and rewatched Rich Strike’s amazing come from behind (I mean like 12 or 13 places back heading into the stretch) win yesterday and it really looks to me like the jockey just ran an incredibly smart race. Many of the horses seemed to be going wide around the last turn but Rich Strike took a shortcut to the inside and had enough juice left to overtake the leaders.

Rich Strike was an 80-1 long shot. Why should you care about that? Well, right now according to Vegas Insider as of April 27th, Hendon Hooker is a 80-1 long shot to win the Heisman in 2022. I’m just flagging this in case anyone else here wants to get their bets down.
What's Hooker's chances of getting second?

I agree with Ulysses that I miss the old style of baseball a lot but I coach travel baseball and work with my son a lot…. I am constantly studying and learning bc I love baseball so much…. We sac bunt some(rarely) and sac flys are always in play….. The rest we will never try….. Analytics has shown that you score more runs if eliminate trying to manufacture runs from the equation…. It found that you are basically given up an out to try and get one run and that out is more valuable…. How may times has our fans wanted us to manufacture a run when we end acoring 8 runs the last three innings…. How many tubs would we have cost ourselves in those innings if we had given up outs?

Someone described an inside-out swing yesterday which is not taught anymore….They teach players to allow outside pitches to travel a little farther and drive the ball into the right center gap…. An ideal swing hits the ball from gap to gap.

Basketball analytics has taught us that thee pointers…. Layups/dunks….. free throws is how you win games…. We struggled on the last two measures of analytics.

Yet with all the analytics, MLB is hitting .230 which is the worse in history. I don’t like giving up outs but if your facing a lights out guy, small ball may be the only way to get it done.

that's crazy. my nephew says they teach home runs in HS.

we were taught by dinosaurs to get on base.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back