Transfer Portal 21-22

Agree to disagree. TK has improved in a few areas, mostly shot blocking ability, but not in others, certainly not consistently. If she continues to not help us offensively and we bring in a post who can, I think the Sr starts giving way to the younger player eventually.
You also have to remember they did not guard her when she was a freshman and they had to also worry about an improving Kasi K. her sophomore year. Defenses were designed for her this year, double and triple teamed her when the ball went inside hung all over her. She went from unknown to known and that will change everything for a player. Watch her freshman year games and this past season and the improvement is huge. You'll also see how the defenses have changed to guard her.

I gotta give it up for Kellie and how she’s stabilized this program. So far, it’s looking like the LVs will retain every returner with some incredible additions. As a fan, it feels good to be in peace while watching the portal madness lol. Whew!
For the love of God quit jinxing us! I get nervous everytime someone says this! Being a battered LV fan, I expect the very next post to be the 3 or 4 of ours headed for the exits!

Seriously, things do seem unusually stable right now, which is why they have to be so, so careful with who they bring in. Sure an all-star lineup of new players is tempting, but on paper greatness means nothing if the underlying structure of the team gets damaged.

From what I understand they did not part ways on good terms. Have not liked each other since. They avoid speaking about each other and I think they have only played one time since Maryland left for the Big 10 and that was in the tournament.

Which Maryland won on Louisville's home floor. It was in 2014 in the E8 after we lost to Maryland in the S16.

Reactions: VolBall09
You also have to remember they did not guard her when she was a freshman and they had to also worry about an improving Kasi K. her sophomore year. Defenses were designed for her this year, double and triple teamed her when the ball went inside hung all over her. She went from unknown to known and that will change everything for a player. Watch her freshman year games and this past season and the improvement is huge. You'll also see how the defenses have changed to guard her.
Again agree to disagree. The double and triple teams worked to shut down TK offense bc she/we were not able to find and hit the open man out of it. That's how you negate double teaming. Also, to be fair, some of her offensive woes have nothing to do with being heavily defended. She does not have good hands to receive passes, brings the ball down all the time, and struggles to hit open layups. All of that has occasionally and tantalizingly gotten better, but never consistently. My fondest wish for this wonderful kid is for all that to improve this offseason. If not, WNBA status and block record notwithstanding, I can see her mins give way to a younger more consistent offensive threat at post.

Last edited:
I thought Tennessee had a good chance to Hollingshead out of high school. She has a ton of potential and could be an amazing player at Tennessee. She has all the tools to grow into a top 4-5 player in the SEC with some added strength and experience...
Was she interested in us?

Again agree to disagree. The double and triple teams worked to shut down TK offense bc she/we were not able to find and hit the open man out of it. That's how you negate double teaming. Also, to be fair, some of her offensive woes have nothing to do with being heavily defended. She does not have good hands to receive passes, brings the ball down all the time, and struggles to hit open layups. All of that has occasionally and tantalizingly gotten better, but never consistently. My fondest wish for this wonderful kid is for all that to improve this offseason. If not, WNBA status and block record notwithstanding, I can see her mins give way to a younger more consistent offensive threat at post.

Yes! This was something Pat was EXCELLENT at teaching. Used to hear the person calling the game say “they’re really going to have to come out of that double, so and so is killing them with the pass.”

Then they would feed the beast on the interior and totally demolish their opponent.

Them days a comin’….

Also, to be fair, some of her offensive woes have nothing to do with being heavily defended. She does not have good hands to receive passes, brings the ball down all the time, and struggles to hit open layups. All of that has occasionally and tantalizingly gotten better, but never consistently.

This is exactly why I posted the other day that I'd like to see a hybrid look out there, one which has Tamari in the 5 spot for defense only, and then once they go down the floor have Striplin at the 5 for offense. My suspicion is that if Key's hands and forearms haven't gotten strong enough to consistently catch passes by now, they are not likely to get stronger until she's much more mature physically. Striplin has strong hands AND doesn't always feel compelled by habit to bring the ball down before going back up for a shot.

Reactions: glv98
Wow. Brenda talks about “family” all the time up there. Ain’t no family up there :rolleyes:. Now let’s go add Angel to this group :cool:
She plays the same spot as Rickea, but I'd rather have more than not enough...to add Angel and a legitimate backup post [Hollingsheads] would spell FINAL 4, fo-sho!!! Go get'emKJH & Staff...🧡🏀🧡

Yeah, we really need some post help...an injury to TK or Strip would hammer us...

We definitely need multiple options at every position because I can't remember the last time we we went a full season without injuries. Who does? :( We're particularly vulnerable at the 5 since Tamari sits a lot with foul trouble, and Karoline may need most of a season at strong backup to reach her full comfort level. A third solid 5 would make me a happy person.

VN Store

Back